League Handicap Issue

MinusZero

>LOAD "Something",8,1
I am bowling in a centre where we use 200-average in all leagues with no % of the sum. EG: My current average is 179 so my handicap is 21.

The issue is that i am constantly on the wrong side of floggings against low average bowlers who only need to jag a few lucky strikes or spares to beat me as i tend to only be on average only 10-20 over if i am over average.

The problem i have is that the centre owner has set this system for all leagues. Which means that no league is allowed to change to a fairer 90% or 80% system. Who takes precedence, since its a sanctioned TBA league, shouldnt the league be able to decide as per the TBA rules on what the handicap system is and not the centre owner?

I am planning on taking it up with the centre owner as i feel the 100% system doesn't encourage low average bowlers to improve their games. Its much easier on a higher average to have a few unlucky splits and miss average or by just being human miss a spare occasionally. I feel that higher average bowlers are being penalised on this system, because we cant have a bad night or even frame.

80% or 90% may seem fairer to you but I am sure that if you ask the lower average bowlers, they will disagree.

80% tends to favour the higher average bowler.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.
One option you have is to find a scratch league.

Isn't this a decision for the bowlers in the league to vote on at their reformation meetings and not merely for the decision of the centre owner?

The handicapping percentage for a leauge is decided by leauge bowlers when you have your annual general meeting. It forms part of your leauge constitution in which ALL BOWLERS OF THE LEAUGE take part in the voting process, not any outsiders who aren't bowling in the leauge.

The centre can always have their things to say or give feedback, but I have never heard of a centre dictating what handicap percentage that EVERY leauge in the centre has to abide by.

In my opinion, this is unfair on every leauge bowler in this centre as they have lost one of their given rights when they form a leauge constitution.
The centre cannot dictate this and any leauge in Australia has the right to set whatever handicap percentage they wish with the backing of the bowlers of the leauge.

If the league is centre based, i.e. without an executive committee, then the centre can decide upon the handicapping system. Needless to say.. the manager should still be talking to the bowlers to find out what they want aswell.

Brookie King said:
80% or 90% may seem fairer to you but I am sure that if you ask the lower average bowlers, they will disagree.

80% tends to favour the higher average bowler.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.
One option you have is to find a scratch league.

I would be pushing for 90% system because i agree that 80% is unfair to the lower average. I just want a fair system for all. A scratch league isnt a possibility as there are only a handful of A Grade + bowlers here.

Either way, if i dont make a comment on the system, nothing can change. Just wanted some opinions, it sounds like its not common for the centre to dictate what it should be.

Call a league meeting, form a committee, structure a constitution and take it to the management. Isn't a bowling alley supposed to facilitate the bowlers needs, after all it's the bowlers that are forking out the dough. Most bowling alleys are glad to get rid of a little extra work.

Call a league meeting, form a committee, structure a constitution and take it to the management. Isn't a bowling alley supposed to facilitate the bowlers needs, after all it's the bowlers that are forking out the dough. Most bowling alleys are glad to get rid of a little extra work.

Although I agree that the league should decide what handicap they use I can see the proprietors side of things.

If bowlers are going to stay bowling in leagues and thus help the bottom line then forcing leagues to implement 100% handicap systems certainly helps.

Let's face it you can argue to your blue in the face but the only fair handicap system is 100% of 200. However take this into account. If you have bowlers in the league who can average 200+ then this system is not fair at all.

In my current league I average 201 and the handicap is 90% of 200 so you can see that I am advantaged even more.

If you are a high average bowler then you should not be whinging about handicap as I'm sure if you take your short term memory cap off for a minute and think back to when you were starting out I'm sure you will remember when you were saying that the handicap system was unfair.

The greatest thing threatening our game at the moment is the lack of bowers sticking around because higher level bowlers vote for things to favour them rather than keep the lower level bowler interested in staying in leagues.

In my current league I average 201 and the handicap is 90% of 200 so you can see that I am advantaged even more.

If you are a high average bowler then you should not be whinging about handicap as I'm sure if you take your short term memory cap off for a minute and think back to when you were starting out I'm sure you will remember when you were saying that the handicap system was unfair.

The greatest thing threatening our game at the moment is the lack of bowers sticking around because higher level bowlers vote for things to favour them rather than keep the lower level bowler interested in staying in leagues.

I would have to agree with the little bloke! In our thursday night league at Milton, where we play for Hcp & scratch points, we have a number of bowlers averaging 210+ & some even over 230. We have found that the fairest handicap system is 100% of 220.

It may seem harsh to the high average bowlers, but year after year the top places have been filled by the higher average teams. The problem arises where the lower average bowlers, ie <180, who generally make up the bulk of most leagues, dont feel as though they have a chance, so they dont sign up for the next year!

In the end, it's all about attempting to create a level playing field.

Greg Kelly

All good points, but the problem is that higher average bowlers dont make up the majority of my league. I think the league average is only 149 and only three bowlers are above 175 with the top being 185.

I agree that 100% may help lower average bowlers stick around, but isnt it mainly the higher average bowlers who come back week after week (for practice and leagues) to improve their games that put a lot more into bowling centres, especially during centre tournaments.

Even if you are doing something for the social aspect (and i have no problem with that) but wouldnt you still want to improve? 100% doesnt seem to make it a wise decision to do so

Most higher average bowlers will complain that it only takes a lucky strike or spare to roll them in a game. The majority of lower average bowlers have no idea how a handicap is calculated and really don't have a lot of interest in the " technical" side of the game. So why not keep the higher average bowlers happy with a handicap so that they do keep coming back week after week.

The door swings both ways.
Yes, a 140 average bowler can string a few lucky strikes together (so can a 190 average bowler) and bowl a 180 (+40pins) but in the same night they can also bowl a 95 game. Thats why they are a 140 average bowler.
Unless you have bowlers who are averaging 210+ then 100% of 200 is the fairest system.
Many higher average bowlers already have an advantage over the lower average bowlers by simply having a high average. As Polarbear pointed out, many league bowlers don't really understand the handicap system and all they see is their 140 average up against your 190 average and they don't really believe they can beat you.

If the high average bowler is putting pressure on themselves by looking at how many pins they have to make before they've started bowling then they are not focused on the right things.
1. Make a good shot
2. Go back and make the spare (thanks LG)

Graeme

All of you have raised some good points but Graeme's I think is the key to all of you higher average bowlers worrying about amount of handicap.

Focus and control!

Look after the things you can control: Shot making and improving your average etc.

Remember one thing if they don't turn up to play anymore will you have a league to bowl in.

Having to chase pins when you bowl is going to improve your game more than bowling against someone who is evenly matched in the handicap stakes.

You can't control how a lower average bowler will bowl on the night so why worry about it.

If they bowl ordinary and you bowl average and win then so be it.

If they bowl well and you bowl average and lose then shake their hand and look forward to turning the tables at the next meeting.

If there is no advantage to having a higher average. Then what will make the lower averages want to improve?

100% handicap should only be used in small centre comps to ensure that the bowler who bowls the most over their respective average wins.

In league play there has to be something to make the lower averages want to improve. A higher Winning percentage does it for most people. Try explaining how the system works to them, if the majority doesn't like it, then you have lost nothing. If the league agrees with you then well done.

Later Da Cowman!

Generally bowling league once a week is enough to improve the average social bowler from a 120 average to 140 or 150. There are many bowlers who a quite content to stay at this average. They enjoy bowling, they enjoy the contact with their friends in a good social environment and they will continue to bowl until it becomes less enjoyable or too expensive. To improve beyond this they would need to practice a bit, maybe have some coaching and buy their own equipment. Many league bowlers are simply not "in" to bowling enough to invest this sort of time and effort. If we use league to exert more pressure to improve then some will stay but most will drift away from the sport. To grow the sport in Australia we not only need to encourage new bowlers to league but keep the existing league bowlers as well.

Then, there are the bowlers who, like the majority of members and guests on this forum who have decided that bowling is more than just a once a week social event but a chosen sport. The desire to improve comes from within. We improve because we invest a good deal of time and money into equipment and practice, and we do this because we love it (most of the time).

Graeme

da_cowman said:
If there is no advantage to having a higher average. Then what will make the lower averages want to improve?

My point exactly. I feel that in a head to head situation i am seen as an easybeat because my handicap is low, but the average and handicap add to the same, they see me make one mistake and thats generally it. So what are they thinking if they see one error make the difference? Why improve?

I think some lower bowlers lose perspective of their scores too. A few nights i have seen team members on other teams commenting on how they scored 210, they were so proud and happy....seemingly forgetting it was with handicap and the actual game was only about 140.

On the social thing, i think its great that people do it for a social time and to have fun. But if its being done for a social time, why make it competitive. An opposing team once complained about me and my team mate watching and commenting on scores (among ourselves) to see what we needed to win. Most good bowlers can lift themselves to another level to make the difference and the other team didnt like us being competitive.

It made me think that if people are there for the social time, thats great!
BUT, why pay the prize fund and why join a competitive league if not for competition and to try and win?

I know everyone isnt like me, i Bowl To Win (I do use Ebonite too :p) and i think people can play how they want, but not be critical of people for playing it as a sport, not an activity.

Do you have fun when you are bowling?

I do, i dont give a rats a*** whether i win or loose, I enjoy it, its me against the lanes, what the other person/s are doing is of no concern to me, if i beat my average, hit my target, than i am happy. Scores and results dont come into it.

My advice is forget about being in a unfair league handicap, bowling against a better grade bowler will only improve your game. If bowling isn't enjoyable if you loose, then take up another sport.

Darryl Gore

Back
Top Bottom