The Wrestling Thread

Wow...there goes smackdown's chance to put up some heat on Raw for the flag ship show. Taker and Edge gone... both with injuries in their arms, maybe it's the weight of the belt on their shoulder or sumthing, cause i woulda never guessed sumthin like this would happen in he past couple of months.

how could they possibly let a no talent, low rate so-called "superstar" become the new champ. there is some better talent out there than what has been named.

now would have been the best time to put matt hardy up as champ. fans would have put their bums on seats and paid good money to watch hardy defend and wrestle like he has been in the past couple of months. but then again wouldnt it be great to see hardy beat the so called "champ?"

hardy winning the battle royal would have been the best thing to happen to sd in my opinion and would have elevated the show close to raw.

people have been bagging the vocal skills on the microphone of certain guys but it just got a whole lot worse now.

i still think tna might just edge out wwe at the moment.

If it was going to be a big man that won it, Mark Henry would've been a better choice. Say what you will about him, but he's improved a sh*tload since returning - he's great on the mic too, his promos/vignettes have been a real highlight of SD.

Personally I was hoping that they'd shift Orton to take the title on SD - but they have him doing this lowly feud with Dusty Rhodes. He and Edge have unfinished business. He could feud with Flair, unfortunately Batista, Hardy.. the list goes on.

Mind you who they've chosen won't be too bad - he may surprise us. If they were ever going to put the belt on Kane, now would be the time and then have him feud with Henry, MVP and pretty much any other heel on the roster.

how could they possibly let a no talent, low rate so-called "superstar" become the new champ

I was asking myself that exact same question when they put the belt on Batista when he returned!!

PWTorch is reporting that with Edge tearing his left pectoral muscle at last week's Smackdown taping in a segment with Kane, it has now been determined that he will indeed require surgery for the injury. As of now, Edge is expected to be out of action for the next four months or so.

4 months? 4 long months...... TNA had better take notice. They've got a lot of work to do in a very small window - especially if they're past PPV is anything to go by. Probably the worst outing they've had all year, with the exception of the 10-man Ultimate X Gauntlet match.
Check it out here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2jyhx_tna-impact-victory-road-2007-the-ul

10 men. Each man enters in 1min intervals, eliminated if thrown over the top rope on to the floor. Once all 10 men have entered the ring there are no more eliminations - its the first person to climb up and retrieve the "X" hanging high above the ring. Its a great 20min spotfest :D Possibly MOTY. Especially check out the spot at 13:25-13:55 - you'll never see something like that in WWE.

I can't believe who they made World Heavyweight Champion. I agree Mark Henry's time was now. They should have made Hornswoggle the champ!!

Updated Great American Bash Card

WWE Title Match
John Cena vs. Bobby Lashley

World Heavyweight Title Match
The Great Khali vs. Kane vs. Batista

ECW World Title Match
John Morrison vs. CM Punk

U.S. Title Match
MVP vs. Matt Hardy

Intercontinental Title Match
Umaga vs. Jeff Hardy

Women's Title Match
Candice Michelle vs. Melina

Texas Bullrope Match
Randy Orton vs. Dusty Rhodes

No word yet on whether another match will be added in place of the Batista/Khali singles match that was planned.

Punk and Nitro will steal the show, followed very closely by MVP and Hardy. My mind has changed and hope Nitro (he's stil Nitro to me!!) will retain. Would be quite happy to see him with a few month reign as champ.

According to WWE.com a match will be contested between Batista and Kane for the #1 contender spot.

Looks like after reading that updated card, we all know the result of who's going thru to the bash........................

After watching RAW this week, i have a feeling we will see a match between King Booker and King Jerry Lawler, and if it does go ahead i can clearly see Booker getting his Arsed kicked, so hard he wont sick on this throne for a week.

Curse of the Champions?
By Louie Dee
Written: July 18, 2007

Just more than two years ago, the World Heavyweight Championship came to SmackDown when then-champion Batista was selected in the 2005 Draft Lottery. As the richest prize in sports-entertainment, the World Heavyweight Championship instantly became the object of desire for the SmackDown Superstars.

But since becoming the (pun intended) gold standard on Friday nights, the title has seemingly become a curse to anyone who holds it.

Okay, so after reading that statement, you’re probably wondering the same thing everyone else is: How the hell can reaching the pinnacle of your profession actually be a BAD thing? Well, really, it’s not…if you’re a surgeon, that is.

Since Batista brought the gold to SmackDown, EVERYONE that has held it has been put on the sidelines within six months of their title reign. From The Animal on down to most recent ex-champion Edge, the infirmary has become SmackDown’s most popular post-championship destination.

Think that idea is a little bogus? Sorry, but the following chronology doesn’t lie:

January 2006: Batista suffers a torn triceps during a match with Mark Henry at a WWE live event. As a result, The Animal surrenders the World Heavyweight Championship on January 10 in Philadelphia; Theodore Long holds a Battle Royal to determine a new champion while Batista undergoes surgery and is out of action for six months.

Summer 2006: After losing the gold at WrestleMania in April, Kurt Angle suffers a multitude of injuries throughout the summer, most seriously a torn groin muscle in August. Later that same month, Angle is released from WWE.

October 2006: Rey Mysterio, who won the gold from Angle, suffers a serious knee injury at the hands of Chavo Guerrero. Mysterio, only three months removed from being champion, is put on the shelf indefinitely; as of this article, he still has yet to return.

April 2007: King Booker, who defeated Mysterio for the gold but lost it to Batista at Survivor Series in late-November, is knocked out of action by then-champion Undertaker. Thanks to a Tombstone on the announce table, Booker suffers a sprained and strained neck. He was never seen on SmackDown again, as he was drafted to Raw on June 11, and has since returned to action on Monday nights.

Later that same month, Undertaker suffered a torn biceps just weeks after winning the gold. Edge swooped in, picked the bones and took the title while The Deadman took a trip to the disabled list; Edge, however, solidified the curse theory by relinquishing the gold due to injury on Tuesday night.

Quite a streak, isn’t it? Sure, you might say that being a champion is tough, and many WWE Superstars will admit that keeping a title is much harder than winning it. All true, but look no further than WWE Champion John Cena. He’s been WWE Champion for the majority of the time SmackDown has had the World Title on Friday nights; however, no matter what anyone has done to him over the last two years, he’s barely missed a match, let alone been put out of action for a significant period of time. Is this simply a coincidence, or evidence of a curse?

If you’re still thinking this is silly, I present to you the “John Madden Jinx” as evidence. Much like what holding the World Heavyweight Championship has done to SmackDown Superstars, gracing the cover of the EA Sports annual John Madden Football video game has ended up becoming a harbinger of bad things for the NFL players who have done it.

From Garrison Hearst in 1998 to Shaun Alexander in 2006, every athlete on the cover of the game has been injured or had an awful season the year they appeared. Just as brief examples, Hearst broke his ankle in the 1998 playoffs and was never the same again, QBs Michael Vick (2004) and Donovan McNabb (2006) suffered major leg injuries that cost them most of the season, and Barry Sanders (1999) actually retired abruptly before that season even began.

So can this curse be broken? Well, sure; after all, the Boston Red Sox finally “reversed the curse” in 2004 when they broke the almost century-old “Curse of the Bambino” and won the World Series. The Chicago White Sox ended a similar curse a year later. And even in sports-entertainment there’s hope; Batista again held the World Heavyweight Championship from last November to this April, and he’s still healthy. Of course, the disdain of the Chicago Cubs for Billy Sianis’ goat has kept them out of the World Series for 62 years, but maybe that’s just the exception these days.

So what does the future hold? Well, only time will tell whether The Great Khali will suffer the same fate as his predecessors. As he embarks on his first championship reign, many of our fans may be wondering how anyone can survive against the 7-foot-3, 420-pound Punjabi powerhouse.

But in the devil’s eyes, the real question might be this: Can The Great Khali survive his own situation?

Hey I thought there was a motion put forward to not break news like this if it had not aired in australia yet i now have no reason to watch any damn part of smackdown as you have given away what happens to the best part of it and i guess there is no more reason to read this forum

THANKS VERY MUCH

During last night's Raw on Fox aired at 11pm Perth time, Ringside, Ross and Lawler talked about the Bash PPV on Sunday. They broke down the card. Most matches were decided after the outcomes of these Raw bouts.

And yes Timmy, I don't think that Lawler, will drop the Title of "King" for Booker any time soon, should be an interesting feud.

Hope that a feud between 'king Booker' and the King of Kings will take place as soon as HHH returns... be perfect to get sum hype up for him. And i also think that it was a poor idea to give the world heavyweight title to who they did. A mark henry, Kane feud would hav been good...even Luke's idea (i think it was any way...sorry if it's not) of Hardy winnin the title would hav been great had it not been 4 him bein tied up in his feud with MVP.

Hey I thought there was a motion put forward to not break news like this if it had not aired in australia yet i now have no reason to watch any damn part of smackdown as you have given away what happens to the best part of it and i guess there is no more reason to read this forum
THANKS VERY MUCH

I didnt break any news that wasnt publicly known. If you wanna blame anyone blame the WWE. Smackdown doesnt air in America til Saturday our time and they (WWE.COM) are publicly showing the results of what happened and who wins. Now i didnt realease who won the title but i felt this was big enough news to inform people of what has happened. I am terribly sorry for spoiling everything for you!

All matches were decided except who Khali was going to face - which would be aired this Friday on Smackdown. WWE.com spoilt who the champ was but not who he would be facing...................

I didnt break any news that wasnt publicly known. If you wanna blame anyone blame the WWE. Smackdown doesnt air in America til Saturday our time and they (WWE.COM) are publicly showing the results of what happened and who wins. Now i didnt realease who won the title but i felt this was big enough news to inform people of what has happened. I am terribly sorry for spoiling everything for you!

Don't worry man, you're safe :D

If the WHC curse is true, now would be the greatest time to give it back to Batista!! :roflmao:

i hope that the curse is true.
wouldnt it be more interesting to have someone completely different as the champ. someone who has never been in the hunt rather than the same old guys. think of how good it was when mysterio was the champ. you could create the same type of excitement again. when you think about it hardy has earned it this year. instead of the same old feuds, create new ones and give a smaller bloke a shot

wouldnt it be more interesting to have someone completely different as the champ. someone who has never been in the hunt rather than the same old guys. think of how good it was when mysterio was the champ. you could create the same type of excitement again. when you think about it hardy has earned it this year. instead of the same old feuds, create new ones and give a smaller bloke a shot
Yeah it would be good to see other people have the title, but the people who do get injured are the main eventers and who everyone loves to watch wrestle, Edge is one of my favourites and i wanted him to have the longest title run possible to bad for his injury

I totally agree but unfortunately the wwe did the compete opposite. wwe has some dead set bonehead story writers especially those who write smackdowns scripts. Their motto must be give the fans what they don't want.

deadman i totally agree.
their motto would include to keep smackdown as a d-rated show.

eagles, sorry mate but the main eventers get too much of a run and given the chance i reckon there could be 3 or 4 guys that could and should step up into that group.

having the same guys as main eventers all the time gets boring and if the writers and storyliners would start to think 3 dimensionally they would realise that they could make it a hell of a lot more interesting for the viewing public.

again think back to when mysterio won the title and remember the buzz that was around wwe. it doesnt even have to be hardy, although i personally would prefer that, it could have been anyone who has never had a chance at the title. even guys like chavo or mark henry or even finlay for that matter. the possibilities were endless really but i reckon the wwe screwed it up. they could have kept the kane/batista/khali thing going and that would have been good for the show as well.

just a thought...

I just realised, for the live show over here next week we're gonna get Khali v Kane or Khali v Batista as the main event... WOW thats like better than money could ever buy!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom