TBA Personal Accident Insurance Package?? - who and what does this really cover?

Golden

The TBA 2009 Membership Package – can anyone provide more information on the Insurance Component. Have read all the information we could find but have a number of concerns.

In order to be able to promote the new Membership Package - Bowling Centre Proprietor’s, League Secretaries and Bowlers themselves are going to be needing answers to the following:

1. What is the actual cost of the insurance component of the membership?

2. Is it legal for TBA or any Bowling Centre Proprietor on behalf of TBA to be on selling an Insurance Policy as a part of a Membership package?

3. The Insurance “Product Disclosure Statement” (PDS) states that the cost of the Policy be based on the cover you have selected – what is the cover TBA has selected and will every member be eligible?

4. The Insurance PDS talks about Your Duty of Disclosure – what is the member’s duty of disclosure? Will not each TBA Member have to complete a Duty of Disclosure document – there must be a chance that not every TBA member will be eligible for the insurance. It would appear from reading the PDS that every TBA member would need to complete an insurance policy application form.

5. Are our Bowlers with a Disability eligible for the insurance – what are the all the exclusions of the policy?

6. There are a number of exclusions listed in the PDS, for example listed under Mental Health – “no payment will be made for any injury directly or indirectly caused or contributed to by, or in consequence of stress, depression, anxiety or any psychosomatic, psychological, psychotic, mental or nervous disorder”. This clause alone could exclude a significant number of bowlers - anyone taking any antidepressant medication could be ineligible.

If this is the case then should there be an option in the TBA Members Package to become a member without the insurance component.

7. Some TBA Members will already have adequate Injury & Accident insurance Policy. Why would any of these members want to pay money for another insurance policy, which would add no value to their existing coverage?

8. Also the TBA Membership Package brochure states that “For Injury to be covered it must occur when Insured Persons are:
a. Taking part in a TBA accredited competition, game or performance.
b. Taking part in a TBA accredited Local, State or national Social Function, training session or administrative activity.
c. Etc. Etc.”

Depending on the uptake of the TBA Accreditation, across Australia in terms of Leagues and Tournament etc – how many events would the insurance policy actual provide any coverage.

9. How can TBA imposing an Insurance Policy, which may be a waste of time for a significant number of the members?

We really want to promote the National Body and have no problems with funds being distributed to assist the growth of our sport, but surely, there must be an option to take up TBA Membership without having to pay for the insurance component?

Your first comments that are in bold are very valid. I have a tier2 level FSRA (financial services reform act) qualification, and in 2005 when I obtained this qualification, the package as far as im concerned severely breaches the FSRA on about 3 different points.

But, there are always exemptions, I just hope TBA have done this correctly, or they are in alot of trouble.

I would have thought that these kind of serious questions should be directed to TBA.
The TBA will not respond here as I don't think they read the bowlers forum.
It would be a good idea if you could post your responses here once they answer your questions though.

Just a thought.
Doriana

Golden,

Allow me to help just a little - and whilst we live in a more complex legal and more litigious world than the early 1990's [the time frame is relevant to my answer] - some fundamentals apply [well, I suspect they do]. In the early 1990's the ATBC put in place a premier membership card called the Presidential Card [it was moderatly successful] - along with a series of benefits [air travel, accommodation, meals, car rental and similar discounted benefits were all included] members insurance via a global provider was also one one of these.

The reality was - and may not be now - but at that time it worked well simply because the provider had access to a sizable data base of people [members] and the overall cover- whilst relatively comprehensive was both personal and domestic in nature. It was a down to earth accident cover - simple, yet worthwhile.

I suspect - but don't of course know any facts - that the present TBA coverage is similar - provided by a broker or actual Insurance house - simple in nature - domestic and individual in kind. It can't be a bad thing - you could ask a million questions if you like - but at the end of the day that simply complicates things and is far from necessary.

The TBA offer a benefit of membership - there will doubtless be some worthwhile cover - it will be individual in nature and far from complex. Might I suggest that we/you/others KISS.

I would have thought that these kind of serious questions should be directed to TBA.
The TBA will not respond here as I don't think they read the bowlers forum.
It would be a good idea if you could post your responses here once they answer your questions though.

Just a thought.
Doriana

I agree Doriana direct them as well as post them.

(Quote)The TBA will not respond here as I don't think they read the bowlers forum.(Quote)

Do you want to bet I found out first hand thursday night they do & Grant61
is with TBA looking tonight in the wee hours.

These questions have been forwarded to TBA - a number of times without any response - the post was our last resort to try and get some clarification prior to having to convince Bowlers of the New Membership Package and its benefits.

This contents of the post was sent to TBA along with posting it on Total Bowling - I realised that maybe TBA does not monitor the postings - dah!!!!!

In response to Steve post - it is all very well to say to KISS - but bowlers are going to want to know what they are getting with the membership - and a number of people may decide they do not want any coverage - either because they already have something that covers them or they will not be eligible.

Try walking in the shoes of a Centre Manager or League Secretary and talking to the bowlers about the new costs of TBA membership - as I stated,I support the National Focus of our sport - but when we are asking for more money for something which many may not wish to take up then it is going to be a very hard sell.

Also the PDA states there is a 21 day cooling off period where by "if you are not completely statisfied with this Policy, you can cancel it by writing to us or your insuance intermediary within 21 days of the issued date and receive a full refund, other than non-refundable government taxies and duties." - surely this indicates that people have a choice to have the insurance - how can TBA not provide this as an option when Membership is being taken out.

There has always been an underlining issue to convince bowlers as to what they gain by paying the TBA Membership - when we are not even able to indicate to the bowlers how much the insurance component - some bowlers may not really care other than to complain about the increase in fees - but a large majority of our bowlers are going to want a clearer understanding of what it is they are paying for - bowlers are not sheep.

I have had a response from TBA - and this has cleared up the issue - well almost almost still a bit hassy on one of the exclusions in the PDS.

But in terms of the rest of the questions I had - it is the sport of Tenpin Bowling via TBA which has taken out the insurance policy. The policy is on the sport not on the individual - so should you join as a TBA member then you are covered providing you are participating in a fully TBA Accredited Activity at the time of the injury.

The insurance component cost will be dependant on the uptake of the TBA Membership across the country - but it was indicated that this was by no means a significant percentage of the TBA component of the membership.

So thankyou to Gillian for giving me a call today and clarifying my questions.

Back
Top Bottom