Register or be stripped?

Andrew S.

Gold Coast
This is an announcement taken from the TBA site.

In the interim please be advised that all coaches who have not registered with Tenpin Bowling Australia during 2004 and 2005 will have to re-sit a new Level One or Level Two Course to re-accredit as a coach.

There are many many good coaches both level 1 and level 2 who do not register with TBA. Registration is generally regarded as an excuse to extract money in exchange for a news letter and insurance coverage. Those in charge of TBA coaching might need to rethink their motives regarding this announcement - it reeks of blackmail.
And anyway whats wrong with registering with the ASC?

Andrew
I think the most important point is one that you have mentioned...Insurance.

If you are an unregistered coach and someone under your supervision/training is injured, how will you stand legally? Probably in a lot worse situation than someone who is registered and covered by insurance.

In another sport (actually lawn bowls) I saw a person trip over and hurt themselves through no fault of anyone around them. Result for that unfortunate gentleman was a broken hip and he never came out of hospital, passing away after a few days. Whilst this may seem to be an extreme result, there was also a case of a broken leg during a tenpin bowling league (Chadstone in the 80's as I recall) so injuries shouldn't be ignored.

In a litigious society it is better to be safe than sorry.

Sumo

Andrew S. said:
This is an announcement taken from the TBA site.

In the interim please be advised that all coaches who have not registered with Tenpin Bowling Australia during 2004 and 2005 will have to re-sit a new Level One or Level Two Course to re-accredit as a coach.

What i cannot understand is why do you have to resit the course. Surley a level one coach is still a level one coach whether they are registered with the TBA or not they cannot take that away from you. If you can provide the documentation proving the fact then you should be able to re-register without sitting the course.

Sorry woza but i have to disagree with you there. TBA have tried to contact all coaches that were reg prior to this, i know there were probs prior to that and getting coaching up and running when TBA started and ATBC finished , but i think 5 years is long enough to chase coaches. If these coaches whom are not reg in this time it means they are not upto date with things and maybe dont want to coach,who knows what injuries they could possibly cause to bowlers by not being up with the times. All sports that i know of there coaches are reg with the gov body of the sport as well as the AIS.

I don't have any problem with the need to update and register each year. What I do think is unfair is that coaches will have to sit for their level 1 or 2 again. These courses are not cheap, and simply because the coach has not paid his annual registration renewal he/she should not be penalised to that extent.
I can't think of too many other diplomas or certificates that are declared invalid if the recipient doesnt update his knowledge every year.
And what about a coach who wants to take a year off? Or go overseas for a period of time and who doesn't want to actively coach whilst away? Surely membership could be suspended in certain circumstances?
As for the insurance component, the principal here presumably is protection for the governing body who are concerned about possible legal actions if a bowler sustains an injury whilst in the process of being coached by someone who holds a TBA Certificate.
Surely this is drawing a very long bow as far as risk management is concerned, although no doubt the lawyers will disagree.

maybe instead of stripping have an extra fee if the coach wishes to renew his status, like pay an extra $20 for every year they didn't register

re sitting courses to me is a joke, i know i would never waste the time doing it, most of it i found to be shallow and boring as it was

From what i have seen, Tba are really just sucking money out of people for no reason in a lot of cases. According to my Aust Sports Commission coaches card i am "in date" until march 2007. Yet tba want you to re register every year.
As a centre employee, i only have to pay the $30 and not the normal $45 that everyone else pays. This fee for me DOESN'T include the wonderful insurance that they rave on about that you must have. So what does the $30 go on??? Just to keep some shiny butt in a job?? Why should we have to pay to hold onto a volunteers position. Most of us give our time for the good of the sport but have to pay through the nose for the priveledge.

grumpie said:
Sorry woza but i have to disagree with you there. TBA have tried to contact all coaches that were reg prior to this, i know there were probs prior to that and getting coaching up and running when TBA started and ATBC finished , but i think 5 years is long enough to chase coaches. If these coaches whom are not reg in this time it means they are not upto date with things and maybe dont want to coach,who knows what injuries they could possibly cause to bowlers by not being up with the times. All sports that i know of there coaches are reg with the gov body of the sport as well as the AIS.

emphasise "who knows what injuries they could possibly cause to bowlers by not being up with the times."

how many injuries did these coaches cause in the past? surely the human body has not changed that much in the past decade or so! lol

I am assuming that by being a registered coach we will be kept up to date on the latest trends and techniques etc but don't we do that on Totalbowling for free. Why does it cost $30 (+insurance) to volunteer our time so that we can see a sport progress.Have I missed something here?

DJ Luko
The differance in coaching is in the change in balls, the way they react,the different oiling pattens and most of all the way we release the ball these days. If you go back say 10-15 years in bowling the most advanced style was the stroker, in these days if you were only to get the amount of revs those people got you would say what a weak shot they have.
So if you took a coach from back then without keeping up with the times (and believe me there are some around) the amount of wrist and knee injuries would be very high.So therefor coaches really need to keep upto date.
Realisticly not only should coaches be able to coach but be able to understand ball drilling and why the ball is drilled for a bowler that way.
If a coach is not regestered how do you know that they wont teach you the wrong way and eventually cause permanent injuries.
As for the cost of being regestered , it's under $1 a week and if they are coaching they will make that back without a problem.For those working in a centre it is tax deductable. So there is no reason to not be regestered.

Craig
I believe that some sort of update cost should be worn by the coach ,but doing the whole coarse would probibly be a waste of time because the very basics allways in main stay the same, its when you get more advanced it becomes a worry . :cool: :p

thanx grumpie :)

i just kinda dont understand cuz ive never had a coach and probably never will. Probably why ive never gone above a 205 ave in league :rolleyes:

Just gotta say ...this is the first time I've heard the likes of Mark Roth , Marshall Holman , John Gant...ect ect refered to as strokers.....I must be getting old :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mark Roth was one of the first to be more of a power player and Marshall Holman was a stroker when he first started but then developed his game further but i would call him more of a tweener than a power player.
I do sit and watch a lot of older vids from around the 1989-1998 and you can actualy see the changes,this is probibly the era where bowling really tuned the corner in the way people now bowl. The era when they went from the urathane ball upto the reactive ball and it makes for some very good viewing and help understand where bowling is today.
Have i bored you enough now ;) ;)

grumpie said:
DJ Luko
So if you took a coach from back then without keeping up with the times (and believe me there are some around) the amount of wrist and knee injuries would be very high.So therefor coaches really need to keep upto date.

Hi Grumpie,
I don't disagree with all that you say but coaching in Australia, the prefered method of the TBA is still the Richter Drills, so coaching basics has not really changed over the years at all.

Rob

Rob
Have a look at the last paragraph in that post. :p :p
I'm sure i said the very basics in main allways stay the same.
The Richter Drills are the very basics of bowling regardless of style of bowling. Ask how many people know these drills these days and you will find a lot of juniors dont know them.
Every time i coach there are allways at least 2 drills used. ;) ;)

After reading the posts above I would aslo agree that it is rediculous that you have to resit the course again :( :(

I have just recently completed a coaching course at Crossroad Bowl and must say that I think that TBA should hold a coaching course for those that don't know anything about the game and for those that bowl and want to coach. In the course that I just completed there were 3 people that is myself and 2 others. 1 person at the course didn't know much or had never bowled but was doing the course as there needed to be someone to coach the disabled people in some disabled commonwelth games or something I can't really remember what she was involved in but it was something like that. A course for those that bowl you can cut out the really basic stuff like how to score, etc. This way the course would be made less boring and more interesting as you aren't going over stuff that bowlers already know.

Anyway, I paid $140 just to do the course and if I don't renew it then I will have to resit the course and pay another $140 or more. I think that you should only have to resit the course if you have been out of the loop for more than 2 or 3 years. Over one year the processes would have changed very little if any whereas over 2 or 3 years things could be very different.

Just my thoughts.
:p :p

Back
Top Bottom