SunCity Odds & Form.

RobbieB

Rodentus scientificus
Mercure Inn Sun City Open.

Calcutta Odds and Form Guide.

Goss: Lanes are scoring really well over the last month. Bit of room for the swingers, with enough head oil to get the right ball down the lane. Carry is fair as long as the entry angle isn't too steep. Tend to dry out fast after the first 5 games or so, though. Watch for the crankers to get out to an early lead on the fresh oil, and again after the heads get topped up after the first 10 games of matchplay. After that, the extra carrydown will create problems for the swingers, and the down and in players could come home with a wet sail in the last 6 games.Fair bit of quality and depth in the field, and won't be too surprised if some of the bigger names don't cut.

Predicted Calcutta prices and winning odds (highest placed female for the ladies):
Based on payout of about $1000/400/200 1st/2nd/3rd and $250 for top lady in the Calcutta
Men:
Stephen Hunt (D.C.) (Townsville) Despite five retirements in the last year, the Townsville Teletubby remains as the one to beat this year. Throws close to the perfect dry lane shot, and has the mental game to back up last years win. Odds on to make top 3.
Calcutta $300. Odds: 4:1
Craig O'Neill (Tsv) Local 300 shooter. Bit up and down. Chance if he can keep his elbow straight. (before bowling).
Calcutta $30. Odds: 40:1
Darren Harris (Mky) Will need a good start. May be there on Sunday.
Calcutta $15. Odds: 45:1
Rob Kaluci (Mky) Competent down and in bowler, will need to carry well to be a threat.
Calcutta $25. Odds: 35:1
John Dunn (Mky) Another who has the shot for the condition, and will threaten if he can get on a roll. Usually popular in the Calcutta.
Calcutta $100+. Odds: 10:1
Shaun Dunn (Mky) Good pedigree. Twists it up, good games are huge, bad games are really bad. Will need the lanes to hold up better than they probably will. Carrydown late on Sunday will kill him if he does cut.
Calcutta $40. Odds: 35:1
Mick Fenech (Mky) Made the cut in Cairns, and may well do the same here. Tends to have a bad patch in there somewhere, though.
Calcutta $30. Odds: 30:1
Tyson Jones (Tsv) Anyone who thinks my Manhatten rubber is a good ball must be OK. Bit of talent in there somewhere. Could be a dark horse if he's on. Reckons he's going to give Wade a touchup again this year.
Calcutta $40. Odds: 20:1
Aaron Copp (Tsv) Local junior, throws a nice shot. Good enough to be right in the thick of it on Sunday if he's on.
Calcutta $25. Odds: 40:1
John Filko (Bris) Better than he looks ;) and throws it pretty straight, which is a good thing up North. Won't have the firepower to win it on these conditions, but should go OK.
Calcutta $35. Odds: 30:1

Squad B (check-in Sat 12.45 pm):
Sean Marjanovic (Bris) Much improved bowler in the last year or so. Doesn't have a big shot, which will help him stay out of trouble until he works out the lanes. Real chance if he has his head together.
Calcutta $80-100 Odds 10:1
Peter Nadalin (Bris) No idea. Must have a bit of confidence to make the trip up, though.
Calcutta Who knows? $10-?? Odds 50:1
Jim Dawson (Bris) Ditto.
Calcutta Also who knows? $10 Odds 50:1
Steve Forster (Tsv) Underrated local with a strong chance. Will need a bit of head oil, but when he gets in the zone can shoot anything.
Calcutta $80-150 Odds 8:1
David Brown (Bris) Has the ability to cut if he can keep it together for 12 games, but tends to lose focus and shoot the odd 140. Tough ask on a foreign condition.
Calcutta $10 Odds 70:1

David Weild (Hervey Bay) Always seems to go well up North - must be that smooth, easy rolling delivery. Good bowler with a real chance of a win. Will talk everyone to death and make cut.
Calcutta $100 Odds 11:1
George Frilingos (Bris) Ex-local who has bowled everywhere lately. One of the top bowlers in Qld at the moment, won two years ago but bowled crap last year. Making the cut might be the hard part, should be top 3 if he gets past Saturday. Should be a good battle between him & Hunt.
Calcutta $250 Odds 6:1
Geoff Ott (Tsv) One of the true nice guys of the sport. Has the ability, but may not have the knees. Could lead early but run out of steam. Shoo in for the sportsmans award, though. ;) Cut, IV drip overnight, will lead early.
Calcutta $100 Odds 9:1
Shane Rossberg (Tsv) Someone should take away his purple Quantum and give him a real ball. :) Has a great looking shot, and should really be a contender if he can stay off the piss on Saturday night.
Calcutta $75 Odds 15:1
Adrian Mann (Tsv) Ditto, except for the purple Quantum. Big shot, but bad games are awful.
Calcutta $40 Odds 25:1
Craig Hembrow (Cns)
Back bowling after a layoff. HUGE shot. If he ever learns that you can score without hooking the ball coast to coast, we're all in trouble. Hell, toss a coin. Depends how many 130's he throws.
Calcutta $80 Odds 30:1
Trent Bosel (Bkin) Smooth stroker who always seems to be up there somewhere. Will be competitive.
Calcutta $150 Odds 8:1
Wade Jones (Tsv) Another young 'un with a lot of potential. Good looking swing, just needs the mental game to go with it.
Calcutta $30 Odds 30:1
Frank Nucifora (Bkin) Easy to tell from the other Nucifora guys - he's a lefty. Can throw it harder than George, so he's really worth a bet if the shot is a bit dry. May be a special if the scores are high, as the rightys will run out of oil first.
Calcutta $100 Odds 12:1
Barry Park (Cns) Journeyman cranker from Cairns who always seems to either have something wrong with him or is about to retire. The old fella can still bowl, though.
Calcutta $30 Odds 30:1.
Don Ramsey (Cns) Another Cairns veteran. Doesn't talk as much as Barry.
Calcutta $20 Odds 45:1
Angelo Nucifora (Bkin) Second in Cairns this year. Lanes may get a little dry for his 'A' game but can win. In form, bowled great in Ayr at the skins.
Calcutta $150-200 Odds 6:1
Joseph Nucifora (Bkin) Cranks it up a bit, and tends to spray the odd shot. Currajong will be too tight for that, especially as the lanes get patchy. Could be a danger if he works them out in time to cut, but may have a slow start.
Calcutta $80 Odds 15:1
Sam Nucifora (Bkin) Scratched. Off to the beach. Then again, maybe not. Calcutta $80, 15:1 if he turns up.

Squad C (Check-in Sat 5pm)
Robbie Buckley (Tsv) Bowling rubbish since moving North, apart from a brief burst of form lately. Should be at about 500-1, Hell, I don't even know why I'm bowling really. Will put his best sock forward.
Calcutta $100 Odds 15:1
Ricky Carlos (Bris) Starting to get some form back after a horrible couple of years, but this aint Brisbane. Will probably cut, but misses too many corner pins to be a threat.
Calcutta $25 Odds 40:1
Gary Norman (Tsv) Lovely stroke, but never seems to bowl as well as he looks like he should. About time he walked into a tournament and blew the roof off. If the shot stays on 5 board for 19 games he'll win it. It won't though.
Calcutta $35 Odds 20:1
Daniel Ponti (Tsv) Scratched. George can save his two bucks.
Adam Neilly (Tsv) Put me out of the cut last year, the *&^%$. Low track suits dry lanes, and was impressed with the way he toughed it out last year. Well worth a look.
Calcutta $35 Odds 22:1
Chris Carney (Tsv) Who knows? Could average anywhere from 140 to 260. When he's on, awesome - when he's off, awful. Another dark horse.
Calcutta $20 Odds 40:1
Harvey Watkins (Tsv) This guy just seems to keep scoring lately. Masters champ this year. Don't write him off. Should be good value in the auction.
Calcutta $40 Odds 15:1
Ken Bebb (Tsv) Throws a great shot between the legs. Another confidence bowler who will need a good start.
Calcutta $10 Odds 70:1
Adam Brown (Tsv) Probably too erratic to be a threat this year.
Calcutta $10 Odds 60:1
Paul Atfield (Tsv) 300 shooter, has the ability to win if he can stay focused for the whole weekend.
Calcutta $45 Odds 25:1
Greg Langford (Bkin) Rebuilt from the neck down recently, throws enough ball to get the job done. Consistent bowler who will be there if the body hangs together, Fitness may be a problem.
Calcutta $30 Odds 35:1
Rob McGrath (Mky) Has a shot tailor made for Currajong. Will be there on Sunday, depends on how his carry rate goes.
Calcutta $45 Odds 16:1

Bluey Grimes (Cns) Back from a break, and can get the job done. Might be a bit rusty.
Mark Newman (Tsv) With tendonitis in his arm at the moment, the man of steel will need a good oiling.
Shane Staer (Vic) Who? No idea. Anyone got some dirt for me? Hell of a long way to come for nothing, so might be worth a punt.
Calcutta $20 Odds ??:1
Bradley Carr (Cns) Lucky last won't be last, but won't be lucky enough either.
Calcutta $10 Odds 50:1

My top 15, no particular order:

Hunt, Forster, Watkins, Frilingos, Weild, Carlos, Tyson Jones, McGrath, John Dunn, Angelo and Frank N., Bosel, Ott, Marjanovic, Rossberg & me.
(Yeah, thats 16 but I can't decide who to leave out.)

Women:
Madeleine Hill (Cairns) Not much of a strike ball, but an excellent spare shooter. That will be enough to cut, could win if the carry is there.
Calcutta $30 Odds 8:1
Kirsty Buckley (Tsv) Has threatened me with instant denutting if I coach anyone else this year. Has finally learned there's more than one arrow on the lane, and is actually making the odd tenpin. Hell, she will probably beat me. If she makes it, 19 games will kill her.
Calcutta $15 Odds 20:1
Leigh Harris (Mackay) Should make the cut comfortably. After that it's a raffle.
Deanne Balderson (Tsv) Straightish shooter who will need to stay out of trouble and capitalise on the odd big game.
Calcutta $10 Odds 25:1
Kirsten McKell (Tsv) Yet another of the current junior crop, and really bowling well at the moment. Will be up there on Sunday - my pick for top female.
Calcutta $40 Odds 4:1
Katherine Doran (Tsv) Bigger shot than some of the other ladies (and Steve) but may be too inconsistent.
Calcutta $10 Odds 20:1
Sevester Frilingos (Tsv) One of the Townsville backup brigade. Never seems to be doing much, then suddenly, you're dead. Throws enough strikes to be dangerous, and good spare shooter also. Don't let her get started on her 'be nice to Grandma' line.
Calcutta $15 Odds 16:1
Kim Munsen (Bris) Been practicing at Bundamba, so the shot won't be a complete shock. Can take a while to get lined up, but can shoot good scores too. 19 games could be a problem.
Calcutta $10 Odds 20:1
Veronica Acres (Cns) Another Cairns product who keeps it pretty straight. As good a chance as any.
Calcutta $8 Odds 25:1
Lorraine Riordan (Tsv) Another of the Townsville backup brigade. Keeps the ball in play, and doesn't mass much. Good chance to cut.
Calcutta $14 Odds 18:1
Kim Carney (Tsv) Ankle problems at the moment, so the long haul could work against her. Not much ball speed will hurt as the lanes dry out. Needs a good start.
Calcutta $8 Odds 25:1.
Suzie Terrahe (Cns) Outlasted an all local field to win in Cairns. No tips this year, though. Like to see her get up just for the reaction.
Calcutta $25 Odds 10:1
Bronwyn McKay (Burdekin) Consistent down-and-in bowler with the ability to shoot the odd big game. Worth backing.
Denise Brown (Bris) Confidence bowler who needs her tail up early. Currajong can be a very cruel place, though. Chance if can ride out the odd bad game.
Calcutta $5 Odds 40:1
Hazel Watkins (Tsv) Local who will need a good run. Outside chance.
Calcutta $6 Odds 35:1

The cut: Kirsten, Suzi, Bronwyn, Leigh, and Maddy.

2 weeks to go.

Thanks for the report Robbie! Great job. Gives me a bit of an idea as to what's on offer seeming though this is my first year up there and I haven't seen most of the bowlers bowl. Peter Nadalin is making the trip up from the Gold Coast with me. Throws an out and in shot and would rate him a chance at maybe making the cut. Probably going off your form guide I would give him odds of around 20 : 1. Anyway really looking forward to the trip although once I am up there you might have to explain this Calcutta to me a bit more but I think I have the jist of it. See ya in a couple of weeks.

Just to add to that Rob, the left is good and should hold up all day and Rob, you've got way to much time on your hands..... 8)

hi Rob
well i am Shane Staehr
what do you want to know about me?
great job on the form.

regards shane.

Um... Can you bowl? :)
If you haven't been up here before, the lanes may be a little drier than you are used to...well, maybe a lot drier.
Will you be here in tiime for the Calcutta? - it's a lot of fun.

Rob.

I may be inconsistent but at least I dont walk out during a tournament due to bad performance hmmz.......

katherine

well rob ill see if they are as dry as you say.i bowl at the moment on melbournes driest lanes so ill see when i get up there and have a practice before hand.
when is the calcutta? i get up there on wednesday 30th so if you can let me know when it is on.
see you all soon.

Field is currently at 62 (payout was based on 60). The new names that I recognise are; Kate Murry (sp?), local junior who won a couple of weeks ago in the junior tourney at Currajong, the only bowler (male or female) to shoot the card for the finals; and Michael Lock (Burdekin), another young gun with a nice shot who was the only one over the card in the qualifying at Cairns Open last year.

The lanes are getting slicker as the tounament draws closer, not yet a flood by any stretch of the imagination, but certainly enough of the wet stuff not to have to throw plastic bullets. We'll see how they hold up to 12 games. Snippet for George - one of the juniors (lefty) shot 278 last night, with the odd 250 & 260 scattered around the centre too. The odds on the Tubster making it two in a row are blowing out as the lanes get wetter, and with a big shot on both sides, less traffic on the left could make this the year of the lefty.

Shane, the Calcutta is on after the skins on Friday night. Skins start at 7.00pm (I think), 5 games, $35, free entry or $160 per skin. Calcutta should finish before midnight, even with Cynthia on the mike.

Rob.

Hey Rob I was talking to Kate on saturday at Kirwan and she said she was not bowling? and Joseph is not bowling suncity any more either. That's all i know 8)

Frank Nucifora

That's a shame about Kate, after she destroyed everyone a few weeks ago. Joseph should think about bowling, the shot seems to be getting bigger every week, so it might turn into a bit of a carry contest.

Still think it might turn into a shootout between you and George, though.

Did you go to the Rachuig committee meeting, and if so any news?

I didn't go to the Rauchig meeting due to work, but i have just been informed that the meeting went for just about 7hrs and not all rules and regs have been sorted out, this will be finalised at the next meeting i imagine. And as for Roll Off's it will be the first 5 past the post and Select 2, and select 2 reserves.

Frank

FYI

The guff on Shane Staehr is that he shot his first 300 just a couple of months ago... so he is showing a bit of form lately....

Well less than 3 days to go and the tension builds. I have no doubts that there will alot of money thrown around at the calcutta. Any later form robbie that we should be aware of?

As for Shane Staer, I can't say I have ever heard or seen him but he is in for a shock ! :shock: :shock:

Look forward to the trip up!

Just a few snippets - apparently some gumby lefty bowled himself into a bit of form at the Nationals, after getting some confidence back bowling teams with 4 old ladies. About +210 for allevents, George? ;)

Kate Murry IS bowling, according to my sources.

Don't write off Shane Staehr, a recent 300 not at Caboolture (thanks Jane), and with a 30 year old Leyland, he should be used to pain and frustration, so he should go a treat at Currajong. :lol:

Looks like the Ottmeisters' knees will hold up - he's bowling a lot of games lately, and looking fit.

Steve Hunt shot under 800/4 for the first time this season last week - must be the oil. :)

And last, but not least - no-one has ever won this tournament twice in a row, and no lefty has won this century. :)

Well guys i think that the only thing the righties will be seeing this weekend is the BACKS of the LEFTIES lol :lol:.

And i have also heard that 2 of the lefties bowling in this tournie have a ball called the EZ MONEY, which i would say will most likely hold up to it's name :lol:

See you guys on friday :D
Frank N

The late mail is that unless Frilingos has a shave, his beard could get in the way of that giant backswing of his. He has also been on a health kick for the past week, laying off the softdrink. However I have it on good faith that he is suffering withdrawals and could be partaking in some bubbly stuff (softdrink) on the side to get him over the hump.

Good luck to all on the weekend.

hi ya all just a short note to let you all know that im up here and in pain.
i have sliped my disc in my back but i am going to chiro heaps to get it back into spot so how i see it i have got two days to get it better to bowl.hope to see you all later on the weekend

shane.

There's Nothing Sadder

It's true, there's nothing sadder than a rev challenged Teletubby, floundering to come to grips with the fact that there is oil on the lanes. To make matters worse, the poor rotund little fella is bowling with a ball that is so pink that it makes Dame Edna Everidge look dull. You know you are really bowling a big shot when the last two pins to leave the deck are the 8 and 10, but hey that's enough about me.

Osama Bin Frilingos (that terrifying of Greek Terrorists) should shoot about 300+ over the card, as the lanes are perfectly set up for his sort of shot ie anywhere between 1 - 15 board.

Rob "The Sock - WWF's newest champion" Buckley will also shoot big numbers, even if it looks like he stole Dick Webbers 1970 arsenal of balls. To put things in perspective I am bowling with a dull 600grit ball that turns about 5 boards on fresh oil while "The Sock" is turning a white dot (which has been carbon dated to 1065BC) about 13 boards.

There has been some really impressive scoring over the last 4 weeks and I think the cut will be pretty high (around the card), the condition suits those with stronger shots but spare shooting will be essential because carry can be very fickle. So if like me you get less than 3 revs by the arrows, don't despair because our accuracy will get us to Sunday and then I will unleash a tele tubby attack unlike anything ever seen before. I have been working on some new moves like "The Handbag Slap", "The Belly Roll" and my personal favourite "The Pork Chop". So Big Rev players beware!!!!

See ya Friday

The 5th Teletubby (and no I'm not the gay one!!!)

This message was sponsored by "Beer - helping ugly people have sex since 1850"

:D :D :D :D

Apparently I have should have said Richard Webber as apparently D#@k is a naughty word!!!!!!

:D :D :D

Well Funky Chicken the beard is gone and hello Merv Hughes moustache!!! I think 1-15 is a bit generous, I think more like 1-14. I have no doubts when the lanes trash up on the right you'll still be throwing your hand bag shot at the pins with a little sucess. Can you give me some odds on you leaving an 8-10 flush, wouldn't mind betting on a sure thing. :D Don't get me wrong Steve, there is nothing wrong with throwing 2 revs. Escpecially when 1 1/2 revs are when you clean your ball with a towel and spin it around prior to you bowling. :D

Even with your poor form, hand bag release, 15 extra kilos and useless equipement I still figure your a good chance to go back to back. We'll see how the left plays, if it's anything like the night I subbed with you well................. your in trouble.

8)

Back
Top Bottom