South Pacific dress code

Before i start this it is not intended to offend any bowlers at all!!!!

I would just like say how dissapointed i was at the south pacific on the weekend regarding the dress code and how it wasnt enforced for example bowler a: cargo pants,
bowler b: track style pants, bowler b: jean styled pants. Now is it because they r in the elite and it doesnt apply to them or is it because the tournament commitee dont have the balls to say sorry buddy but you cant bowl because ur not dressed in the appropiate a tire every 1 know's what they have to wear so is it that hard.... i dont think so.
so what if lets say a couple of reps from the commenwealth games commitee where there it would of looked like a recreational activity and not of the standard that would be required to be taken seriously....

just my opinion, not intended to offend!!!!!

Mark Foster
icon_smile.gif

This will be brought up anyway, but somebody WAS asked to remove his pants before the 6 game top 42 roll off.

Even though Billy Gardiner wore the most ridiculous pair of pants Ive ever seen in my life, I can not understand why he wasnt allowed to wear tailored pants, but cargo pants are ok?

I would prefer to wear cargo pants myself, they are hell more comfortable than dress pants, but thats what i thought was the dress code for bowling, but I may be mistaken.

Anyone from AMF care to comment on this?

i agree with u cam i like to bowl in cargos aswell but my point was what they stipulated as the dress code and for the fact that billy was told but others where not.....
if ur not in ur not in.....
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

hey shoot me if i am wrong, but didn't the tba run it (well the committee anyway) well i just guess that they are scared. I don't know how they are scared, but yes the might feel intimidated by some of the bowlers, especially if they are well known to them, they would find it hard to ask a friend as such to remove the pants because they were not the correct attire.

I do agree that anyone not in the correct attire should have been made to change or not start, that easy.

TBA did not run the SPC .. it was run by AMF with Tony Goodwin as the Tournament Director.

while I am still waiting for AMF or Tony Goodwin in particular to put in writing why I could not wear my COLOURFUL TAYLORED pants I would just like an explaination why we the bowlers can't wear clothes that are loud and in your face. Lets face it back in the 80's and early 90's guys like Brenton Dave, Jason Doust and I were wearing these pants and it was no problem. Why is it then, that now these pants are not acceptable or as I was quoted " TO COLOURFUL".
Guppy Troup wore the same style of pants for 10+ years on the PBA and they embraced it why is it then that an AMF Australia representitive can not. My pants did not fall outside the guidlines set out in the entry form, they were not JEANS, they were not TRACK pants ( which I was later told to bowl in by Tony Goodwin) and they were not Shorts.
If I had worn a shirt of the same pattern would I have been asked not to wear it I don't think so, so why should the pants be any different.
Lets bring back the colour and the caractors and lets not make bowling look like a mortition's outing.
If anyone else agree's do not keep silent say what you feel it is the only way things will change in regards to this or any other matter.
( The pants will be seen again )
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif

I am surprised no one commented on my pants, lol. As for colour, why not. I've seen photo's of Rachuig teams in the late 70's and I can assure everyone that what they were wearing was far worst than Billy's pants will ever be.

Hey Bill, does this mean we can call you Guppy?

If you want to call me Guppy then go right ahead he was a great player and from what I have heard a great person, He bought colour and excitement to our sport.

I amof the opinion that if it is good enough for the PBA, then it is good enough for Australia. I recall I caused Val Schmelzkopf at the Perth Cup many a concern when I turned up for the finals in colour co-ordinated pants when the entry form stated that bowlers were "requested" to wear black pants to "complement" the tournament shirts.

Yes I was one of the pioneers of colourful clothing in Australian tournaments and I think I might have to push the outside of the envelope again (EVEN IF IT IS ONLY DUE TO MY MID-LIFE CRISIS lol)

Come on tournament directers bring the fun back to the game . Even if you where laughing with billy or laughing at him we all still had a smile on our face no matter the situation and thats what the sport needs some fun back into the game . Even other sports have there few clowns for eg andre agassi just to name one come on let us have fun im sure alot of the bowlers out there will agree .

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by George:
I am surprised no one commented on my pants<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you mean no one commenting on your pants ? I heard lots of people commenting, but I dont think I can repeat what they were saying here
icon_razz.gif

You can see George and Bill's Pants by clicking here http://www.totalbowling.com.au/live/live-spc/photos/uglypants.jpg

from what i can see, Bills pants were tailored, so there should have been no problem. i am srongly against anything other than tailored pants or shorts for guys and skirts or shorts or skorts(???)for chicks.
i also hate it when people dont tuck thier shirts in, it looks scrappy.
if we want to be taken seriously as a sport, then we need to appear seious in every facet of it.
this includes how we dress. fine, be colourful (10/10 for u Bill), but dont look like you are just going in for a couple of games and a beer with mates
and if Bill is to become the next Guppy Troup, then he will need the tennis shoes and sunnies to match!!!

hahaha bill i just took a look at the pic of those pants, and im sorry to say but they r terrible!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
well.....i suppose they arent TOOOO bad..just a bit of an eye opener!
icon_eek.gif

But i agree with scotti, we need to bring in some fun in the game (within reason i think tho)

Michelle

Bill mate those pants r mad man keep up the work and we will abbe to get all funky !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
icon_smile.gif
icon_razz.gif

Well Bill while there picking on you son there kisses someone elses backside...

As for the next Guppy well the afro just wouldnt suit
icon_biggrin.gif

Now to Mr Davy I may be wrong, as I have been many times, but I can't recall you wearing colourful pants during the matchplay of any Perth Cup, maybe during qualifying which was allowed
The last guy to wear quite ridiculous pants during a Perth Cup Final was WA's own Wimbridge in fact the very year he won it 1986, but I'm sure ur right. I always thought between you and Steve though it was certainly colourful but wasnt always just the colour of your pants & Shirts there was also your puffy red eyes and the steam coming from steves ears that added to the event .... lol

And as far as all the dress code crap goes goodness me, was the event televised, were there Commonwealth games reps there and if so who cares what they think its not up to them whether our sport is played in the games it is up to the host city on whether or not the fringe sports get a run, or so I have been told.

Lets take a quick look at how much Wimbledon has changed over the years. As most of you can well remember White was the only colour permitted now have a look at the Williams sisters, you dont see them being asked to go and change their pants.
Having been over here for the past 5 months now I have forgotten what a dress code is cause there certainly isnt one over here.

It just never ceases to amaze me how spineless some of these tournament directors can be, perhaps they should get some of you players to be officials after your squad has finished and be LAne Marshalls for the enxt squad, I wonder how many of you would stay back and how many of you would tell your best mate he cant bowl in Tracks or whatever?

Just a thought and my 2 BoBs worth

GIDDY UP!!!!

We have to bring a bit of colour back into this sport somehow. For example, remember the ATBA 8-10 years ago, every different color under the sun. And that orange-green thing that Richard Froebel used to wear could cause eye damage if you looked at it long enough.

PS

just thought you'd like to know this Bill, i have seen a male bowler in an ATBA event bowling in shorts(it was a rather warm day)in 1999. Perhaps this loophole was closed after this. The TD didn't question him as far as i know.

There is a time and a place for pants like that. A major tournament in my opinion is not the place nor the time.

In regards to were there any officials there from Commonwealth games etc??? We will never know! How do we know they are not just going to turn up??

Food for thought.

But Bill, you got what you were after and that is a heap of attention!!!
icon_razz.gif

Let's stir the pot a little hey! If you venture to America to bowl the High Roller events you will fnid there is NO DRESS CODE AT ALL. Most bowlers were bowling in shorts, I saw a few guys wearing tracksuit pants as well. Who are we putting on a show for? Why is there a need to wear trousers anyway?

It's not like we are representing our country or appearing on TV. We are all bowlers and are there for the money!!! Thats it!!!

We should be able to bowl in what we are comfortable with. I personally like trousers but given the chance I would be wearing shorts in Queensland almost every event.

I think in tournaments we can wear what ever we want, unless we are performing representitive duties or appearing on TV end of story. Interested to hear your views,

G

Just a quick question,was it stated on the entry form that male bowlers HADto wear BLACK dress pants?If it didn't and said dress/tailored pants only then there should not have been any issue in regards to any colour worn by any bowler.Just because a few narrow minded twits were somehow offended by a persons attire I say to these People "Get a Life".So Billy Gardiner chose to wear loud colours who cares.If it WAS NOTstipulated on the entry form the colour or type of attire to be worn by the bowlers then there is nothing that can be done by anyone.Why i hear you say because it then turns into a case of discrimination.
Till next time
Tryhard

I think that as long as the pants are tailored who cares what colour they are and JO if it is good enough for the pro tour who have there events televised then i think it is good enough for a tournament in Australia.I personally would just like to see tournaments and tournament directors show a bit of humour every now and then if a person wants to bowl in red, green and blue pants with an orange and purple shirt let them who really cares?

Take care all, and remember to
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom