Dress shorts while bowling .... for men

Who believes that dress shorts should be allowed in tournaments, by both male and female bowlers?

• Total voters
I rekon that every bowler should have the right to choose what to wear, whether it b pants, dress shorts or skirts.

Every1 should have the right to b comfortable. Personally i like to wear a skirt but shorts r cool too.

In teams every1 should wear the same, looks betta that way. It's not fair to guys who have to wear pants all the time, it gets very hot, and why should us chicks b able to b cool and guys not????

I have read the posts that people have been putting on this topic. There seems to be an issue where it is assumed that guys get hot when they wear dress pants.

I must say, as a guy I have bowled a few tournaments and although I might get a little hot, it isn't a direct result of me wearing dress pants. It is more so because I am continually bowling. If guys bought the right type of dress pants in the first place then they might not feel so hot. You can buy winter dress pants and summer dress pants, one type is thinker than the other. Sure if you wear winter dress pants during summer then you are generally going to feel a little hotter than normal.

I believe that if the sports dress code became too optional as to what people can wear, then I think that the sport could lose its image and its impact on the people watching and younger bowlers who look up to those competing in high profile competitions (televised competitions).

Take tennis as an example. 10 to 15 or more years ago, the dress code for a tennis player would be white shorts and a white shirt and for the women it was the same except they had an option of wearing a skirt. As time has gone by people are starting to wear what ever they like. While most might be acceptable, there have been a few things tennis players have worn that might be questionable.

The point I am trying to make is that at the moment the dress code looks smart and professional. If the dress code is too optional, then tournaments could end up looking like one of a centres leagues have turned up to play. Shorts to me are for sports that are played outside or for sports where the player is physically exerting him/herself. Bowling is a sport where you are on the lane for a minute at the most then you can relax in front of a air conditioner or fan until your next shot.
:) :) :) :) :)

Mary, I have to agree to disagree with you on the professionalism issue. I believe that professionalism is involved in every aspect of life. The degree to which professionalism is taken is all circumstantial to current influences.

For instance, when heading down to the bowl for a practice game in your faded tracky dacks and old shirt on a saturday arvo it is still expected that you show courtesy to the other bowlers but everything is pretty well relaxed. As the level of competition increases so does the level of professionalism expected . In league, you would show courtesy to the other bowlers, give way to the other bowlers and make some attempt to be neat and presentable. And so on and so on.

As for my opinion of shorts, I still believe they should be allowed up to a certain level (From State level and above I would reccomend long pants). I have watched a number of top bowlers wearing shorts alongside those that havent and really I can't see any problem. In relation to who has the legs for it, well that is really personal choice and to say that someone cannot or shouldnt wear shorts cause they have bad legs is simply discrimination.

May I add ...

Every person is an individual. For some, bowling requires less effort, and less heat is produced, therefore less sweat. For others, they may have dark coloured shirts after the first game or so (yes, thats me), and I would absolutely love to have shorts.

Didnt they teach people at school, they sweat produces a cooling effect? By wearing trousers, Im preventing my natural body instincts to cool myself. Only my arms are exposed to the cool air from the air conditioners, and unfortunately thats not enough for me.

It seems other people are in aggreance with me, with the results of the poll. 70% of people agree. Thats enough for me to put a proposal to my state TBA rep, and then see if we can go national with it.

you'll need a sock code then.......have seen some doosies of sock choices amongst the short-wearing bowlers, both male and female!!!
Do holeproof still make ribbed kneehi's???? :p

love the shorts idea. i know that i would much prefer to bowl in shorts in summer. it is obvious that if you are comfortable you will perform better.
i hope this idea is approved, coz cam wont be the only one in shorts if it is

:D Cameron, let us know how the proposal goes, coz as you said equal opportunity!!!

I think the cooling effect of shorts is being overrated.
Are these short lovers wearing insulated pants?

If you really need the shorts, perhaps you need to do
some exercise and get used to being hot.

Keep the pants. Dump the shorts idea.

The degree to which a person sweats is not entirely related to their body conditioning though a correlation exists. Every persons brain has a slightly different response to heat stimuli. Some of us feel hot in the same conditions other feel cold. Quite frankly I believe that it is no-one elses business but the persons regarding conditioning and the real issue is whether shorts could be considered appropriate apparel.

Late on the uptake...

:oops:
I realise I am a bit on the uptake of this topic - BUT I just wanted to make a response to some of the issues raised.

:?

The issue in my mind has nothing to do with TEMPRATURE... I personally find shorts more comfortable. THe fact of the matter is that I did not own a pair of long pants until I made a state rep team and had to buy them!

Of course, growing up in Darwin - we didnt need them!

I simply feel I am less restricted in shorts - when bowling in trousers I feel them pulling against my legs, and basically just a bit restrictive.

Now that I have become accustom to bowling in trousers, I am use to it, and wear trousers that are a little baggy and dont restrict my leg movements as much.

I agree that presentation needs to stay at a high standard, what I dont understand is why there has been a WRITTEN RULE saying that dress standards differ between men and women. I believe we should have the choice of what to wear when bowling in INDIVIDUAL events.

Where it comes to a TEAM event - then the ENTIRE team needs to decide - not mix and match shorts/ trousers - but have a united uniform.

I'm happy now I've had my say !!

LOL

HEY FELLAS - how do you get the image to appear under your name when posting?????

i'll stick with the normal uniform my orbit bowling shirt and black trousers and eventally got to wear a special olympics uniform when i'm bowling in special olympics tourmeants

I can back up Milkman! When he use to bowl at Sunshine in pants, just with the shot he plays the pant almost made it to his knees (Yes Cam i can remember that far! So Long Ago!) And true to his word those socks stood out each and every time. We all were use to it!
We want to see that again!!!!

Every Single Tournament i have bolwed in i was in dress shorts and got permission first to be on the safe side.
Shield we have mixed. I know there were teams with both skirts and shorts.
To me its more a comfort thing. I hate skirts just for the fact that i have a low knee bend i feel like i'm so called showing myself so the world can see.
Dress shorts dont allow that. And pants dont allow that much bend in them properly unless i make them baggy, therefore untidy and i will most likely trip over them. But to my memory i have never bowled in pants.
Suppose theres always a first time for everything.
Cheers

My 5 cents worth (for all those to young and not knowing what 2 cents are LOL)!

I believe that shorts could be worn as long as the whole team (female or male) is wearing the same uniform.

It gives the appearance of professionalism and respect to your opponents.

well if you bowl in the junior shield in rocky its a smart idea for shorts. preferably i choose shorts, even in winter. but thats just me.

I think the only exception for wearing shorts is during blistering hot days. Don't mind the ladies wearing shorts though. Their legs are not as hairy as the fellas

Jesus,

Couldnt we find an older topic to drag out of the archives & re-hash.
Nearly 5 years old

:p :p

Hey Chin i don't think they realised there is a topic already like this that porrto started late last year or early this year.

As Perth is can be hot and humid at times I wear shorts all the time, it is so much more comfortable, but if i have to wear dress pants i will. But as discussed earlier in the topic it would have be ruled as to weather it be dress shorts to the knees and not Cargo shorts as i have noticed a few bowlers lately wearing 3/4 length cargo pants.

Back
Top Bottom