Dress shorts while bowling .... for men

Who believes that dress shorts should be allowed in tournaments, by both male and female bowlers?

• Total voters

milkman

Cant really speak for other male bowlers, but I know I prefer to bowl in shorts. And i think for the public watching me bowl, I think they'd prefer me to be in shorts rather than borrowing other bowlers pants and exposing rather bright white socks.

So, I thought I would raise a poll .... Who believes that dress shorts should be allowed in tournaments, by both male and female bowlers?

I will run this poll for 7 days, and if people have enough want to add shorts to tournaments, I might try and draw up a proposal for the TBA.

One thing I did consider, I dont believe that shorts should be allowed to be worn when tv coverage is provided.

Cameron...you're a dag!
Why stop at dress shorts? Why not have naked bowling!

I'm sure the Tony Goodwin will allow this if we draw up a petition.
HAHAHA..

Although you may think Im usually a comedian, I sometimes have a tendacy to raise serious topics, and unfortunately Wayne, this is one of them.

I seriously enjoy bowling in shorts. I have more freedom, and without discrimination to larger body sizes, I think it helps people of a fuller variety to feel more comfortable (yes, I'll admit im in this section).

I agree totally on this issue. There have been tournaments i have bowled in across a couple of different centres this year that left you wondering if there was any airconditioning at all. I do not believe that wearing dress shorts downgrades the professionalism and integrity of the sport.

Hi guys, i just want to add from a female point of view that if men wanna wear dress or tailored shorts then that should be okay, we women wear them and look neat and tidy , i feel more comfortable in shorts than skirts anyway and dont quote me but more women seem to be wearing shorts these days. I guess it is up to the bowler if they are comfortable in shorts then they should wear them rather than be uncomfortable in skirts as for the men if you want to wear shorts i think if your comfortable then do wear them!!!!! :D

Correct me if I'm, wrong, but women are already allowed to wear tailored dress shorts in tournaments so the poll question maybe should have been one of whether shorts can be worn by men in tournaments... just a thought.

DRESS SHORTS

I have a theory about 'bums on seats'. Anything to encourage a change in our thinking on the game would be great - 'old bowlers in black trousers' is surely not a great encouragment to the youth of today - equipment, technology etc. has moved on - so must we.....pity about air conditioning in Queensland though!! Major TV coverage should have an appropriate dress code - where is TV coverage??
Professionalism is not a great word in Tenpin Bowling - surely we don't need such an 'old hat' dress code to be enforced - we just need BOWLERS.

Hi all

These are just my thoughts, i believe that males should be aloud to where the dress shorts if the choose to, i can't see what the difference between women wearing dress skirts/shorts is to mean wearing dress shorts. However on a personal option i would take the long dress pants, i feel really comfortable in them.

Thanks
cya

Hi cameron

I don't mind whether shorts or dress pants are to be worn in a tournament.

However, if it was brought in that shorts could be worn in a tournament then there is going to be a lot of variables come into play.

For example:

1. Should shorts only be worn for tournaments that are held through the summer months.

2. Will there be a rule come in to say that shorts are only acceptable in tournaments when the weather is a certain temperature or above. This could lead to a lot of interpretation.

3. Is everyone going to ware dress pants or will 50/50 bowlers turn up in both.

4. If men turn up in shorts should the women also turn up in shorts or do women still ware skirts or pants.

These are just some things that might come up if put to the TBA however, if brain stormed then there would probably be a lot more variables come up that may go against dress shorts being worn in tournament play.

Personally, I think dress pants are smarter looking for tournament play. For years dress pants have been the requirement for tournament bowling so I guess you can say that its tradition that men ware dress pants and women ware dress pants or a skirt. Also, waring dress pants is a type of uniform. If everyone is in the same thing then it looks a lot better than if people turn up in what ever they like.

I guess if it comes in that dress shorts are acceptable, why not ware them when bowling in a tournament that is televised. The only difference is the amount of people that will be watching the game.

Unless you are bowling a lot of tournaments throughout the year then I guess you can say it is warranted. However usually if you are bowling a house tournament then you can ware whatever you want (turn up naked if you like). It is the bigger tournaments such as the super six or the barossa cup, etc that dress pants are required, I would rather ware dress pants as it looks better.
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Cam, are you blowing out??, mate ive seen ur legs, and u betta get the varnish out for a couple of coats..lol, serioulsy mate, we need to attract sponsors to the game, its not like surfing dude!, where most of them are tanned up and in good physical shape...are u getting my drift here???.
so i think its a stupid idea bro.

Mark Foster

Considering women can wear dress shorts in tournaments including Super Six and the rest i don't see the major problem with guys wearing them. It would be cooler when the aircon doesn't work in a bowl and it would still look smart.

I was thinking bout this topic and if i remember rightly (someone correct me if i'm wrong but i remember one year) back in 98, The Southern NSW Boys team wore shorts and it looked good!

Leis, I remember one year I was in Shield a boys team did wear shorts... coulda been 98... I thought it was SQ though. Who knows, it's hard for me to remember that long ago :wink: I think the team may have won the best dressed award that year too, who ever it happened to be. But again, could be my memory failing me!

My personal opinion is that shorts on guys won't look anywhere near as neat and tidy as dress pants, but I guess as long as they are DRESS shorts and not cargo, etc. the blokes should get the same choice as us girls do. :D

Oops! Just remembered... it was ACT/Southern, you were right Leis! Told ya my memory is getting bad :wink:
I was getting confused with the year SQ wore track pant type things. :D

Hey guys

Yeah it was us guys from ACT & Southern that bowled in shorts that year. It was a good thing we did aswell because it was soooo god dam hot in that centre during shield. I think the shorts looked good but a few people were surprised that we were actually wearing them in the first place, but secondly, no officials told us we couldnt wear them, so we did, and it was quite comfortable.

Personally i really dont mind wearing shorts or pants whilst bowling as i find both comfortable but i think it would be ideal to be given the choice, especially on a scorching hot day where the air con aint working and your showering in your own sweat. i think bowlers should be given the choice, as long as they still look respectable and neat.

I think for Regional/State events short should be an option open to bowlers but on a National level I think the traditional trousers should remain. Lets try and salvage the last bit of professionalism we have left.

arm ok what is wrong with wearing shorts ...
it is just a little less fabric and if dress pants
they look very decent and keep the bowlers
very cool not stinky hot

l8r

Shorts for men in Tournaments - not a bad idea.
Must be a matter of personal choice though and should not happen in Major Tournaments nor should it be allowed on Televised events (not that there are any in Australia these days)
Another poster mentioned that it should happen when the Temperature rises above a certain level and, whilst I agree with that it leaves a few too many "grey areas" in its interpretation.
For example, one bowler might find a day of 33*C "just lovely" but then along comes someone like me for instance who has great difficulty (these days) coping with anything above 20*C usually - what's the ruling?
I do think though that bowlers should be attired in at least "neat and casual attire" and what is comfortable for them - some of the gear I've had to wear over the years such as those horrible marching-band pants in Inter-Association and dark green trackie-dacks in Nationals have been so hideous-looking and uncomfortable that instead of thinking about my game all I can think of is "those bloody uncomfortable trousers" :evil:
It's a pity centres don't fix their air-conitioning units - then there wouldn't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom