Side weight, top weight etc

More to the point, what is the use of having these specs, when two handed bowlers, who don't put fingers & thumb in the ball, can change the dynamics on each delivery, beyond the 1/1/3 !!!!!

We have to have limits though don't we?? Otherwise, just how far do we let things go...?

More to the point, what is the use of having these specs, when two handed bowlers, who don't put fingers & thumb in the ball, can change the dynamics on each delivery, beyond the 1/1/3 !!!!!

No they can't. A two handed delivery must have the thumbhole covered by the hand if there is a thumbhole drilled. This puts the track in the 'right' place relative to the static weights. A ball drilled with no thumb is only allowed 1 oz maximum between any two halves of the ball, so the three oz top weight allowance disappears.

To answer the OP, early bowlers discovered that taking half a 14 lb ball and half a 16 lb ball and gluing them together gave the bowler an interesting effect. These 'dodo' balls were soon outlawed, and the 1/1/3 oz allowance brought in to basically suit the manufacturing and drilling tolerances of the day.

One way of simplifying drilling these days would be to chuck out the static weight regs and bring in a new rule allowing a max one ounce top weight in any undrilled ball. Drill wherever you want, no more balance holes.

Yeh right

"One way of simplifying drilling these days would be to chuck out the static weight regs and bring in a new rule allowing a max one ounce top weight in any undrilled ball. Drill wherever you want, no more balance holes.

So I could have basically 1/2 pound side weight that turned into 1/2 pound top weight as the ball flared on the 10th or 12th ring on entering the pocket.

The national bowling average would probably be betwwen 260 and 279 per game.

The 1/1/3 rule is there for this reason.

For each individual bowler/style/speed/revs/average ....

Pin location is number 1
CG location is number 2
1/1/3 rates somewhere after 5th (imho)

So I could have basically 1/2 pound side weight that turned into 1/2 pound top weight as the ball flared on the 10th or 12th ring on entering the pocket.
The national bowling average would probably be betwwen 260 and 279 per game.

How?

Robbie suggested making it 1oz top weight limited, so without the us of a balance hole, we are looking at a maximum of 4-5 oz of side weight on a given ball (after taking into consideration finger and thumbs drilled)

Static weights are entirely irrelivant in todays game. Coverstock properties all but eliminate its relivance. There is more variable in any bowlers release than there is difference between 1oz side weight and 1oz negative side weight.

Ball variables in todays game are as such:

Coverstock
Pin
MB (if applicable)
Balance hole

CG position has absolutely no effect on a performance balls reaction.

In relation to mongolians original question, taken from http://www.tenpin.org.au/Rules/TBA Rule Book.pdf

The following tolerances will be permissible in the balance of a bowling ball used in accredited competition: Refer to
Rule 127 for the penalty for bowling with a ball that is found to be illegal.
1. 10 pounds or more:
(a) Not more than three (3) ounces difference between top half of the ball (finger hole side) and the bottom
half (side opposite the finger holes).
(b) Not more than one (1) ounce difference between the sides to the right and left of the finger holes or
between the sides in front and back of the finger holes.
(c) A ball drilled without a thumb hole may not have more than one (1) ounce difference between any two
halves of the ball.
(d) A ball drilled without any finger holes or indentations may not have more than one (1) ounce difference
between any two halves of the ball.
(e) A ball used without any hole or indentations may not have more than one (1) ounce difference between
any two halves of the ball.
2. Less than 10 pounds:
(a) Not more than one (1) ounce differences between the top half of the ball (finger hole side) and the bottom
half (side opposite the finger holes).
(b) Not more than 3/4 ounce difference between the sides to the right and left of the finger holes or between
the sides in front and back of the finger holes.
(c) A ball drilled without a thumb hole may not have more than 3/4 ounce difference between any two halves
of the ball.
(d) A ball drilled without any finger holes or indentations may not have more than 3/4 ounce difference
between any two halves of the ball.
(e) A ball used without any hole or indentations may not have more than 3/4 ounce difference between any
two halves of the ball.

As robbie stated, the reason these rules came into play, was back in the rubber days, people would either cut 2 balls of different weights in half, and glue those halves together to create something that was heavily biased to the direction they wanted their balls to go. Another good trick was to drill a hole in the side of a ball, and fill it up with lead before covering it with plugging to create their own "Mass Bias".

They also used this technique to create 19-20lb bowling balls which gave the bowler a hell of alot more hit while they were stuffing the shot up the 'grooved' track, and in return, left less corners.

Static weights are entirely irrelivant in todays game. Coverstock properties all but eliminate its relivance. There is more variable in any bowlers release than there is difference between 1oz side weight and 1oz negative side weight.
Ball variables in todays game are as such:
Coverstock
Pin
MB (if applicable)
Balance hole
CG position has absolutely no effect on a performance balls reaction.
Top weight is still a major factor. (About 10% of reaction and critical to break point shape. Especially as the bowlers rev rate increases.) I get a quantum leap in reaction between a ball with 2.6 and 4.2 oz. of TW undrilled. (Approx 1oz and 2.5oz drilled for those specimens.)

Static weights are still a good thing to have, because the manufacturers (as I have said before) would just start pouring dodo cores tomorrow in a game full of players ever hungry for new ways to get more pinfall without actually doing anything for it.

CG position matters in so far as it determines the MB position and even balance hole position, both significant contributors to backend motion shape and continuation.

But coverstock and pin is king. These are the biggies and are most often overlooked (especially coverstock.) How many times have you seen a ball laid out by eye or according to the grip? It seems a bold decision that everyone has the same track and can therefore get the same layout, without regard to the location of the positive axis point, which coupled with rev rate determines just about the entire physics of the reaction.

Cheers,
Jason

Well said Jason, absolutely on the money, that was my inference when I said that we could use any side weight, which turns to topweight as the ball hits the dry on the last few rings of the ball.

Top weight is very essential (after drilling) in the area from the line to just past the arrows.

Yep the difference between 1/2 oz TW after drilling to 3 oz TW after drilling on the same ball and coverstock is awesome. Go try. (imho).

CG is important, half the bowling world thinks it is not, half think it is, I am in the latter.

How do you get a 19-20lb ball, Isn't two half 16lb balls, still 16lb ie 8 + 8 + 16lb?

Coverstock is KING as Jason says, but that's a whole new story.

They created 19-20lb balls by drilling holes and adding lead into those holes...

Jason and I share different views on static weight and its effect on ball reaction, and I respect his views. I suppose it comes down to personal preference. I haven't taken statics into account since i started drilling apart from the positioning of XH's and legality.

To each his own....

Yeh right
"One way of simplifying drilling these days would be to chuck out the static weight regs and bring in a new rule allowing a max one ounce top weight in any undrilled ball. Drill wherever you want, no more balance holes.

You obviously don't understand what top weight means in an undrilled ball.

Hint - if there was one ounce of 'top' weight, and 8 oz of 'side' weight, where would the cg be marked?

Modern cores turn top weight into side weight as the ball flares. High top weight destabilises the ball roll, since the ball is forced to rotate about a centre that is not the centre of gravity. As the cg migrates to the axis during flare, the roll stabilises, and high side weight reduces deflection at the deck (draw up the collision force diagram if you don't believe me).
Side weight (positive) migrates to the bottom of the ball during the flare process. If there is a lot of side weight and little or no top weight, thios destabilises the roll at the pin deck and can cause inconsistent deflection, especially for lower tracks.

Back
Top Bottom