Its Not The Balls - It's The Lanes. A Comparison with US Open Golf

Brenton_Davy

900Global bowler
The USBC (formerly the ABC) in America is proposing several limmitations on bowling ball technology and drilling layouts in order to "restore credibility to the sport". In short, to put the brakes on the current scoring pace. It would appear that the USBC has put lane conditions, pin weights etc into the too hard basket and have attacked the equipment instead. I put it to everyone instead though, that the environment, not the tools used to play it, needs to be toughened up.

I refer to the US Open Golf championship that has just been completed in the USA at Pinehurst No.2. The world's finest players, in ideal weather conditions and ONLY 1 player was able to break par for 72 holes. Why? Because of severely narrow fairways, heavy, thick rough and hard, fast greens which effectively neutralised the advances in golf club and ball technology that has seen an explosion in scoring pace in recent years. What this means is, instead of limiting equipment layout options which will only serve to turn tournament play into a case of who has the most revs wins, creating an environment where the appropriate combination of power and accuracy wins the day. If that means 1:1 or 2:1 oil pattern ratios as standard, then so be it. These types of patterns don't necessarily shut out the power players, but they put a premium on APPROPRIATE levels of power/accuracy, nor do they make the sport the exclusive domain of no hand, purely accurate players.

Hey Brenton,

Agree with you. Why not just make the lane conditions harder, that would have a better effect on the game overall. Technology needs to advance in any sport, or the manufactures will not be able to keep selling balls, and that mean sponsors start to go out the door, as no one is buying new equipment as they are all the same.

Melb Cup was a great example of area play on the lanes. The lane conditions were conclusive to high scoring, as they were a very open pattern throughout qualifying, and that has to be admitted by all. It was more a case of hit an area, than a target of 1 or 2 boards, but try 5 or 6 boards.

If the governing bodies just made the lanes tougher it would slow down the scoring, but then you have the problem, who really wants to watch bowlers just bowling spare after spare. Spectators want and need to see strings of strikes to keep them interested.

Really a catch 22 situation

xpense said:
Melb Cup was a great example of area play on the lanes. The lane conditions were conclusive to high scoring, as they were a very open pattern throughout qualifying, and that has to be admitted by all. It was more a case of hit an area, than a target of 1 or 2 boards, but try 5 or 6 boards.

Good point Lance....compare it with the AO (look at the averages) and you will see the huge discrepancy. Area vs accuracy has never been so blatantly obvious.

Anyway nice thread Brenton....something has needed to be done for a long time and the most sensible area to start is the lanes. For example (and not taking anything away from the bowlers, especially Nodz coz I love the guy) 2 300's were bowled on the same pair at Keon Park either last night or the night before in consecutive leagues. Twenty years ago that would be literally unheard of, but in America it happens every day somewhere.

Adam

Agree with you. Why not just make the lane conditions harder, that would have a better effect on the game overall.

The answer is simple , most of today's bowlers would leave bowling if you took away the easy conditions and there isn't a centre mamager out there that is going change the conditions and lose bowlers!!!!! and the governing body of bowling in australia or the world for that ,has not got the power to make a centre stop laying out easy conditions.

rychenroller said:
Good point Lance....compare it with the AO (look at the averages) and you will see the huge discrepancy. Area vs accuracy has never been so blatantly obvious.

Anyway nice thread Brenton....something has needed to be done for a long time and the most sensible area to start is the lanes. For example (and not taking anything away from the bowlers, especially Nodz coz I love the guy) 2 300's were bowled on the same pair at Keon Park either last night or the night before in consecutive leagues. Twenty years ago that would be literally unheard of, but in America it happens every day somewhere.

Adam
Leagues should be able to do WTF they want with patterns, as the main goal is get as many bowlers as possible. People enjoy bowling high games, enjoy watching high games being bowled. Do not take this away from them.

noddy is a champ, and burto is always consistent. Having the 2 on the same pair was only a coincidence, as both these bowlers are really deserving of this achievement.

Tournaments is where the conditions need to be a little harder. The 3-1 pattern is a positive step in the right direction, but perhaps there should be several totally different shots in each tournament (eg: PBA patterns.)

Shorter and Longer patterns, 2-1 and even 1-1 ratios would all be shots that could challenge bowlers in each and every tournament. Forcing bowlers out of their comfort zones by making them play away from their usual track area shots.

IMHO, The other thing that could be looked at is making the pins a little heavier, just to take a little carry away from lighter hits. With monster weight blocks, carrying light is something that can be achieved by even the most weak wristed players.

Agree with you Tonx - the issue is not League it's tournament.
One thing is for sure - the current scoring is not helping the sport gain Olympic recognition. There aren't too many records left to break.

tonx said:
noddy is a champ, and burto is always consistent. Having the 2 on the same pair was only a coincidence, as both these bowlers are really deserving of this achievement.

And you would notice that I didnt say anything derogatory about these two. I've bowled with Alan for years and years, bowled league with him at Melton, same league at Sunshine, many many tourneys. My first AO he's half the reason I managed a 7th, supporting me through matchplay. Like I said, he's a great guy and I owe him heaps. I'm well aware of his ability and glad that now he is reaping the benefits of his huge ability.

But most people would agree that scoring has absolutely exploded in the last ten years. To the point that in America, if you bowl a 300 it means barely anything. Dont get me wrong, if I bowled a 300 which I havent done sanctioned yet, I would be over the moon and wouldnt care what condition. Fair enough the comment about tourneys but I at least hope we can protect the game and make scores at least mean something again. I hope when I finally crack it for a sanctioned 300 it means something anyway.

I agree, something does need to be done about the lane conditions in tournaments, but i think that changing the lane conditions in league would benifit bowlers greatly. The more someone bowls on a condition, the better they get at it, finding lines, etc. Placing restrictions on balls could also help make scoring more realistic, but i think changing the lane conditions would have a better effect. If restrictions where placed on balls, wouldnt that just mean less hook?

But i think that too many people would be against making lane conditions harder in australia, because there are so many people i know that whinge about how hard the conditions are, when compared to other conditions i have bowl on, are quite easy.
Just my thoughts, Hamish

you could still change the lane conditions for league without comprimising bowlers leaving. you can still have a tough shot but still quite scorable, yes the scores will drop a bit but it would only take a few weeks for people to get used to knowing that they will be punished for bad shots and well rewarded for good, i mean having shots where 5-10 boards area is ridiculous but you could say bring the area down to like 3-4 boards, it would only affect the serious bowler contingent of league bowlers any way, and if they are that serious they would adjust and become better for it. also though if you are changing the league pattern to a slightly tougher but still high scoring shot then you should give the leagues some warning about it and actually let them know whats going on, because the biggest down fall with this game is ignorance i feel. if the people know that the conditions will be made slightly tougher they wouldnt actually spit it when they came in the next week and saw that their scores werent as high for no reason. if we as bowling are going to make things tougher we must also educate the people allowing them to understand why they have come down in average how ever much they do.

jason griggs

many good points mentioned above

all i would like to know is

how many who disagree with this new policy, rely on weight hole based drillings or sell bowling balls ???

i would hate to see judgement clouded by hidden agenda's !!!!

i am in favour of it, wouldn't even mind seeing it revert back to a standard pancake weight block in every ball

ball dynamics are more powerful than any factor we have in bowling now, thats why its being changed???

then we might realise that we can input more money into practising instead of buying the next new beaut thing that will hit a little harder and hook a lil bit more and in general getting us closer to our ultimate goals.

craig said:
many good points mentioned above

all i would like to know is

how many who disagree with this new policy, rely on weight hole based drillings or sell bowling balls ???
Why would it matter if they sell bowling balls or not. The new rules would almost force bowlers to buy new bowling balls, therefore costing the general public more.

If anything proshops/manufacturers and the likes should be voting for the changes to go through. There would be an immediate jump in sales. They don't (support the changes) because they are irrelivant, ineffective, and just a try hard easy way out for the USBC.

Weight holes do not increase scoring.

Static weights do not increase scoring.

off CG drillings DO NOT INCREASE SCORING.

The pins cannot be made heavier, Why you may ask? because juniors and seniors will not be able to knock them down, this has been brought up before in internet sites around the World.

IF you want to make the lanes harder than just oil the BACKENDS, this should make all bowlers look stupid.

I don't believe in tricking up the lanes to stop the scoring, I do believe in getting rid of the WALLS, the Walls make everyone bowl in the same area of lane, thus drying out the area and causing lane men to increase the WALL. The lanes should be oiled to a perfect BLEND, the Kegel can do it, the scores can still be high but bowlers will be able to bowl in different areas of the lane, which will suit thier speed and revs.

3:1,2:1,1:1 it does'nt matter, it won't stop the high scoring. It's the Backends that produce the scores, you can oil really long so the ball won't have time to tip over and this will kill scores, but some will adjust and have the equipment to handle it, eventually everyone will handle it, but again this is tricking up the lanes.

Just get rid of the WALLS.
JMHO. willey.

tonx

does this mean you represent a ball manufacturer or retailer???

p.s i already know the answer to that

that answer is YES

now you make these quotes

If anything proshops/manufacturers and the likes should be voting for the changes to go through. There would be an immediate jump in sales. They don't (support the changes) because they are irrelivant, ineffective, and just a try hard easy way out for the USBC.

Weight holes do not increase scoring.

Static weights do not increase scoring.

off CG drillings DO NOT INCREASE SCORING.

why should the manufacturers be happy, after investing millions of dollars into R & D to get the gear to the current stage.

WRONG immediate jump in sales, of balls no, of plugging and drilling yes

static weights do not increase scoring

WRONG try swing a hammer from each end of the hammer, you might notice two very different reactions in weight transferance, it creates extra revolutions

of CG drillings do not increase scoring

WRONG how many label drillings do you see on a rack at any given tournament???

f... all, theres your answer

i look forward to the next batch of excuses to why this shouldn't be implemented

Let me get my two cents in here.

I agree 100% with the proposed changes the USBC is intending to make.

Brenton, as much as we get along mate, I can't see any logic in your proposal to lower the scoring pace thru a lane conditioning rule alone. I've been around the game as a scratch bowler for almost 40 years now and I've pretty much seen it all. Short oil, long oil, christmas tree pattern, strip blocks, wall of China blocks, 5th arrow fallback blocks, even fishing line under the finish coat preventing the ball from going high.
If there is one thing which will always be a constant, it is that proprietors will ALWAYS SEEK A WAY AROUND THE OILING RULES.

Under the perception that they will lose bowlers to the centre down the road unless they provide the easiest scoring condition in town, the proprietors of the USA and now Australia have dug themselves quite a hole. One which it may not be possible to crawl out from.

How many bowlers are rally going to walk if their precious wall shot is taken away? Are we talking 50% NO, 20% NO, 10% NO...Were talking about just a few of the less than than 5% of league bowlers who average over 180.

Bowling is no longer a sport and there have been many reasons for the change. Can we ever regain our status as a sport..maybe. Will we? Not likely with the way things are going unless we all get together and support the proposed USBC changes.

To those proprietors who have chosen to lower their standards and allow the scoring to get out of hand, I offer this piece of wisdom. Are the few dollars really worth the damage you're doing to the sport. If you want to own a recreation centre why even bother with tenpin bowling. You'll make a hell of a lot more money in another business.

Do a complete audit of your books for the past couple of years and see if your high scoring lane conditions have kept you from losing bowlers. Fact is bowlers are quitting the sport in record numbers and the high scores have very little to do with it. A lack of solid marketing is what's keeping bowling at the bottom of the entertainment and recreational rung. Gone are the days when you simply opened your door and people came in to bowl in record numbers. In today's market it takes the implementation of a well thought out marketing plan...and high scores are not anywhere near the top of the list.

I really care about this sport and to that end, I would like to offer my bowling business consulting services to any proprietor in Australia on a risk free basis. If I can't improve your bottom line, then there is no fee. Let me view your centre first hand for a couple of weeks and then I will show you how to increase your bottom line by a figure which just might astound you. Please contact me privately for details if you are interested in turning around your centre or increasing your revenue.

Sorry if my above post seemed a little disjointed. There were so many things I wanted to comment on that I got carried away.

To summize it.

The problem does not lie with the lanes alone, It is also the balls, the pins, and the people who want to take the easy way out.

craig said:
tonx
does this mean you represent a ball manufacturer or retailer???
p.s i already know the answer to that
that answer is YES
wow your oh so clever... Did my signature give you a little hint? ;)
As a matter of fact, I am not speaking on behalf of any company, not opposing the rule changes for the benefit of myself financially or otherwise. I am speaking as a bowler that is allowed to voice my own opinion.

craig said:
why should the manufacturers be happy, after investing millions of dollars into R & D to get the gear to the current stage.
i thought you were a little smarter than that. :cool: Manufacturers will create some wizz bang new method of creating what reaction bowlers want. wether it be multiple different heavy points close to the surface, slightly lighter than the cg, yet heavier than filler material; new coverstocks with particle loading at different points to simulate a leverage drilling, or maybe a little laser under the coverstock that shoots in 2 directions for splits. Either way bowlers will buy new technology if they believe it gives them an advantage, and manufacturers will be more than happy to spend the money to provide for this demand.
craig said:
WRONG immediate jump in sales, of balls no, of plugging and drilling yes
if we are refering to tournament bowlers in this thread, name the % of decent tournament bowlers that bother plugging as opposed to going out and buying something new?
craig said:
WRONG try swing a hammer from each end of the hammer, you might notice two very different reactions in weight transferance, it creates extra revolutions

again, even if extra revs created higher scores as you are implying, and even if static weights matter (which many believe do not) manufacturers will create new technology to add a quicker 'spin time' through MB, RAD, PSA or wtf other marketting tools people want to hear.
craig said:
WRONG how many label drillings do you see on a rack at any given tournament???
f... all, theres your answer
well thats funny, I do see label drillings, and you can very effectively create a leverage style drilling within 1 inch of the cg. Pin distance from the PAP is the main factor in ball reaction. That is what produces track flare through core instability. Again if a bowler can't get the exact reaction that they want, manufacturers will create that reaction for them. Therefore more ball sales.
craig said:
i look forward to the next batch of excuses to why this shouldn't be implemented
now this is quite a pathetic personal attack where you are implying that your opinion is worth more merit than mine. Quite foolish and not very open minded. They were not excuses, they were opinions that I am entitled to, whether you like it or not.

As I have said in many threads previous to this one, lanes conditions are becoming a joke in this day and age. Tournaments these days are carry contests, there is only 20 pins per game average between top average bowler and 15-20 average bowler, you know what that is realistically, a 10 pin or single pin between 2 strikes. People this is one of the many reasons why tournament bowling in this country is going downhill very very fast. 2:1 oil paterns for tournaments should be made mandatory, but adding to that minimum lengths and millage at end of travel should also be enforced.

But the main thing is that the only way this is going to get any better in any way is if the us bowlers ourselves start getting involved in the running and organising of these tournaments and this has to start from installing a 2nd tier tournament series run strictly by the bowlers for the bowlers where the centre is only used as our avenue to run the tournament. Brenton mentioned the U.S open golf, I am only assumely here but you will probably find that the golf club was just used as a means to play golf at and not run by the golf club. If I am wrong please advise.

Matthew Lambrick

you don't like mine

i don't like yours

i don't need to go into credibility challenges

where do you want to challenge mine, on the lanes, in the pro shop, on the machines, in a coaching sense or in bowling centre management ?????

come see me when you've been in the sport for more than 5 minutes

p.s the first quote (or as you call it "personal attack") was posted by you

Back
Top Bottom