Bowling & burning calories

Loose Cannon

Bowlers always have time to spare.
As bowling is a sport ,just curious as to what amount calories you burn in bowling and if any scientific data has been formulated & or presented? eg does bowling 1,2 or3 games burn of the calories you have consumed in a can of coke or a slice of pizza for comparison ??? Lets take it over a usual league match where you play 3 games. I take into considerations that the more you strike then the less opportunities you will bowl , plus the weight of your ball, your style ( stroker, cranker etc) .With all these results it would vary from bowler to bowler but as i said at the start........... i'm curious.

Yeah I burn off some calories in the sack just was wondering how much you do when you play, because combined its the only exercise I do all week.

Can't complain about that, lol.
As Jim said, check out the thread on "How far is a game", so many aspects to peoples games it's hard to get a true reading. Get a good heart rate monitor and you could possibly get a calorie burn figure you could share with us.

Hmmm... I imagine that I burn a lot more calories (even moving down to 15lb these days) throwing a ball than say, someone who plonks the same weight ball up the boards, but here's some estimates...

Calories Burned Bowling
Calories Burned During Sports | LIVESTRONG.COM (refers to the first one and throws a not-entirely-undeserved jab our way...)
Exercise for weight loss: Calories burned in 1 hour - MayoClinic.com The Mayo Clinic has a higher estimate than the first ones. I'm inclined to go with that estimate in a rapidly repeating shot scenario.

I wore a heart rate monitor (just for fun) at last year's Nationals, and kept a 100-110 heart rate through my squads, except for teams, where it would lull back to under 100 between shots. Still, 110 bpm is moderate activity, burning some calories, according to the chart at Heart rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I know that when I had the front 11, I had a glance and my heart rate was 130, which was reassuring, as I top the hell out of that on the bike regularly. I still muffed the last shot though, so fitness isn't everything!

What's interesting is that what I do as a power player with higher speed and stronger than usual release is a lot more than what most people do while bowling and rates as moderate exercise. I would estimate that the most players are barely out of the warm-up range of the chart mentioned above.

Most interestingly, one can of Coke in that hour of bowling (and no doubt a US sized can which is a bit smaller) and all that exercise is gone. Now everyone knows I like to give George Frilingos a rev-up on this site (and whenever I see him!) It's OK, he likes to rev me up too. :) But here's a bouquet to old mate George. Has anyone ever seen him get tired? I doubt it and he must have been sick if you have seen it. George takes good very care of himself in terms of diet and exercise. His record speaks for itself. Jason Belmonte, Jason Walsh, Michael Little, Jarrod Lean, Andrew Macarthur, the list goes on. These guys can bowl all day and come off looking ready to do it all again. They're in good shape and I guarantee they're doing more exercise than chucking the rock. Think about it.

I've gotta get some work done now. Then walk the dogs. And fit a ride in this afternoon. And some light Pilates tonight while watching the news. (Gotta get back into that stuff slowly!)

Cheers,
Jason

It's a bit of a paradox, you need to be in shape to bowl at a high level yet the sport itself doesn't get you into shape as such. I can relate to this somewhat where I played a tournament and played 12 games within the day, by the last game my knees & elbow were sore then later that night I was cramping up in bed in my legs.

Lots of sports have a similar conundrum. (Archery comes to mind.) Now that people regard golf as a sitting game (carts), it's in the same predicament.

Next time you bowl a lot of games, I recommend an Epsom Salts bath (Magnesium Sulphate). Magnesium prevents/alleviates cramping. Make sure you stay hydrated before, during and especially after play too. Coffee and beer count as -1 drinks each!

I think you'd burn more calories having sex.:p
Now this is where interval training really comes into it's own! :)

I been trying variants of this argument with my wife for decades. With varying degrees of failure; small to epic. I guess she's not as dedicated to her fitness as I am...

Back
Top Bottom