Bowling Stats/Records

Deadman Inc

1990 − 2011. Retired 2012 − 2013. Back Again 2014
It seems that Stats and Records don't mean a great deal to Tenpin Bowling in Australia. A lot of bowlers keep personal records of how many 300s they've bowled and series achievements etc But does anyone think it's important as a sport that we have official records eg Top 5 most 300 games, Top 5 highest 3 and 4 game series etc

The stats I'm most curious to know is a Top 10 most number of Titles by Australian Bowlers (male and female) including International, Majors, National and Local Tournament wins.

Who is Australia's winningest bowlers of all time??

The problem with statistics is that unless they have a common causal factor they're meaningless. Since every centre is different, lays a different pattern in their own special way, you're not comparing apples with apples.

The specific one you mentioned is good though, career titles is valid

I think we are getting too precious with the whole "my 1 x 300 is better than your 10 x 300s because I bowled mine in the hardest house in the world".

All sports rely on statistics, Adam is right. It's about time this game went back to basics, maybe then it will grow again. You can use the "not comparing apples with apples" arguement with any sport, bowling just tends to be good at creating dramas out of anything. A Test century in cricket is still a Test century, regardless of whether the wicket was an absolute road or not. They don't degrade their achievements on a daily basis, so why does bowling feel the need to.

The problem with statistics is that unless they have a common causal factor they're meaningless. Since every centre is different, lays a different pattern in their own special way, you're not comparing apples with apples.

You have a good point but I agree with Easy Tiger. There are many sports where you're not comparing apples with apples eg New technology involved in sporting equipment like Golf Clubs, cricket bats and even swim suits that gives todays players an advantage over previous eras. Brian Lara broke the world record twice on one of the smallest test cricket grounds in the world. No two cricket grounds or pitch conditions are the same, and it's the same as bowling, no two centres are the same. Yet stats/records are still what most sports have for their sport to continue to grow. Gives players something to aspire to

This same argument came up in 1985, when Paeng Nepamecino shot a 249 average in Qualifying, in the Silver Anniversary Tournament, Bowled at Hurstville Bowl. People wanted to know if it was a Record and if any Records existed, which they didn't. So Steve Mackie had a Book produced, which had most of the known records and facts available, for people to read. I do not remember the exact name of the book produced, I may have one in my collection in my garage or I have left it at one of the many Centres I worked at, I would assume someone reading this Thread would remember the Title.

As for Apples, all 300's are Apples, although I think my only 300 was shot on terrible lane conditions with out-of-bounds outside 8 board, was a Peach.

willey

I think the book your refer to Willey was Australian Tenpin Bowling - published by Bowlers World in Victoria in fact in 1988. Steve Mackie of course wrote a good deal of the content - others who added much were Ed Kee and Bob Cook - Phil Brook was the Editor. Graeme Worthington's family had a printing business so the pritning side of things was done by that group -Bowlers World at that time was run by Graeme, Patrick Birtig and Bernard Chi. And a good read it is too.

Steve

Sure they will, Sydney-siders down to Juniors should know Doc Kee at least. And Pat Birtig was somewhat known, with all that work he was doing down in Moorrabbin(?) a few years ago

Can't seem to find much sign of the book though :(

Its a great book, damn shame there wasnt a follow up. I remember someone asking about the chance for one in a letter to Strikeout once, they kind of got howled down, apparently we were supposed to concentrating on the future and not the past and it would have been preaching to the converted.

Actually after looking at the latest issue of 'lets roll' the other day it made me really miss Strikeout!!! :p

My God Steve,

Most of todays bowlers would not know 1 name in that post.

Pity.

A perfect reason these sort of records should be kept, so the juniors of today can look back and see the sort of records the elite of today have.

You can bet that most of the kids playing the main stream sports know the names and records of players past because thats who they look up to and aspire to be be like and one day maybe compete against.

Eric R

patrick is still running bowles world out of AMF Boronia and would probably have a good idea of where to get the book if he doesn't have a few copies lying around

When the book was released [1988] it sold well via Association offices in most major areas - in Melbourne alone [if I reacall close to correctly] the Camberwell office sold 1000 plus copies in about 4 weeks. So all this says is there is sure to be some copies still around collecting dust on bookshelves.

On another but not too far removed note -and I'm pretty sure he won't mind me mentioning this - Morty Douglas in Queensland is working on computerising a lot of bowling's history. To help I recently sent him every edition of Strikeout [I was one edition short I think] across almost three years, some videos that were done in the early 1990's for the then ATBC [using John Burgess and then another with Dave Davis from the US], and a copy of this book.

Morty has a number of balls in the air at any one time - as most busy people do. He is establishing himself as the new business owner of Kingaroy Bowl, he has a successful and hectic IT business and I'm not sure what else - but he's one busy fella. He will get to this project over time - and he is to be congratulated for having a go. Clearly his resources and knowledge will be a huge help...time being everyone's enemy...and Morty is no different in that regard.

For now though - I'd be asking any "older" bowling friends you might have if they happen to have one of those books - there are plenty of copies out there..somewhere - that's for sure.

Happy hunting,

Steve

Having a computerised history of Australian bowling is an absolutely awesome idea, and Morty and all the contributors should be warmly thanked for undertaking what is a pretty massive job.

Australian Bowling has such a rich history with so many great players and achievements, that should be recorded for us all to remember, be proud of and to aspire to.

I mean over the years we have had some unbelievably talented players;

Men

Joe Velo, Ian Bradford, Carl Bottomley, Chris Batson, Steve Mackie, Tom Kury, Silvano Prez, Andrew Frawley, Jason Belmonte, John Sullivan, Steve Lovell, Frank Ryan, Tony Roderick, Brenton Davy etc

Women

Ruth Guerster, Jeanette Baker, Cara Honeychurch, Ann Maree Putney, Carol Gianotti, Maxine Nable, Sue Cassell, Jo-Ellen Day, Shelley Devine, Amanda Bradley etc.

That is just to name a few.

But I really think it is important for people (especially the younger bowlers), to know about all of these people, their records and achievements as not only were they champions, but in a lot of cases they were pioneers who blazed a trail for all of us today.

The records/stats also tend to throw up some really interesting trivia, like where was the first 300 in Qld bowled? (Mt Isa - a long time ago)

Keep up the great work guys

Cheers

Steve

Back
Top Bottom