Side Effects of Redrilling?

J

Jem1570

Hi, I was just wondering if there are any side effects of plugging and redrilling a ball and what they might be? How many times can this be done to a ball? Just curious. :) Thanks

Well I haven't been in the sport of Bowling long enough to comment on the results of plugging/redrilling an old ball with hundreds of games on it, but I can tell you that I recently purchased a few Visionary balls with approx 10-20 games on them, had the fingers, thumb and balance holes plugged and re-drilled, and the balls still hooked ten ways to Sunday, as if they were brand spanking new. The reaction felt perfect, however I'm a stroker and perhaps a cranker may notice a slight difference. If you choose to get the ball sanded/restored back to box finish or resurfaced, then I'm sure the ball will feel as good as new, as long as the coverstock isn't loaded with oil, in which case you could follow GeorgeF's advice in the thread "extracting oil from a ball"

I've only been bowling less than a year so I'm not the most qualified guy to answer the question, but I noticed no other members seemed to be bothered posting a reply so I thought I'd get the ball rolling (pardon the pun) :p

C'mon guys, help me out!:-k

I think you change the weight block everytime you drill into it therefore changing the balls initial reaction.

also if u have alot of plugging on ur track its no longer the same coverstock and that will make it react different, though the odd plugged thumb hole shouldnt be a problem

I found that the plugging sometimes tends to be more brittle than the original coverstock and can lead to cracking of the plugging esspecially if the new holes are drilled on or near the plugged holes.

I was given a Groove that is now on it's third finger drill and 4th thumb. All the thumbs are in nearly the same place though so it looks like a large shamrock with a hole in the middle. The ball is still excellent.

Edit: Regarding the core, if drilling into the core alters the reaction of the ball, does this mean that Visionary balls are more unlikely to be affected by mass redrillings as the opposing lighter flip cap allows drillings to not hit the core of the ball?

Back
Top Bottom