Effect of changing the Surface?

SCOOTER_26

Hi everyone wot would the effect be on my Xxcel (sanded with 1000 grit Abralon) if i got it polished would it carry better, would it snap better, its drilled to go longer and snap but doesnt snap as hard as id like it to can somebody please tell me what the effect would be on my ball?

Thanx everyone

Scooter, most polished balls from the factory are polished to 1200 grit so you see that your ball at 1000 grit is not much diference.

The problem you will get if you polish is that it wont make a lot of difference, yes if you polish to 1200 you get a bit more snap but the ball is particle loaded thus it will still have a tendency to bite earlier and bleed off the hook potential.

If you want a ball that snaps later than get one that is already polished, the covers add to the snap.

This is what happens, if the ball is already shiny than you sand it, it will be about 10% less efective than an already sanded ball. Visa Versa, if you have a sanded ball than polish it it will be 10% less effective than an already polished ball.

Hope this helps.
willey.

Actually I disagree willey, I believe that it CAN be extremely effective to polish a dull ball, as long as it is done properly. In regards to a polished ball being sanded, I don't think it is effective as sandblasting the ball/clean and dull (ie: commercial cleaners) or using a scotch brite pad.

In regards to the xxcel not hooking there could be many different variables, (ball speed, tilt, axis rotation, revs, lane conditions etc) so your best bet is to ask someone to watch you bowl that has somewhat of a clue.

An accredited coach is your best bet, but I think anyone with a 180+ average should be able to pick up the main reason that the ball isn't hooking.

Don't bother changing the ball surface unless your lanes have 100units of oil on a 1/1 pattern, then you could dull it a little :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tonx, 1000 Abralon is almost polished, I not sure if you have used Abralon but it is a form of scotch brite. 1000 is white and if you have polished vinyl floors than it is equivalent to a lambswool pad, so you are effectively polishing the ball without using polish. Factory finish polish by Ebonite is 1200 grit, so there's not a great deal of difference, believe me a particle ball with 1000 Abralon does not bite much, take it back to 500 and it has a lot more hook.

The information I gave him was advise to get the ball to snap more and later, he never said initially that the ball was'nt hooking, if he did than my advise would have been to use Abralon at 500 grit.

willey

Tonx, 1000 Abralon is almost polished,
So what you saying there is that either there is no point in buying polish, or that ebonites bowling balls that come dull are actually reacting very similar to their factory finish polished balls, as 1000grit abralon is actually ebonites factory finish for dull balls, as noted in this link:

http://ebonite.com/tradesection/comercial_prod_catalog/detail.php?PRKey=8

believe me a particle ball with 1000 Abralon does not bite much,
i don't know if your talking bowlers with 1 rev or 2, because 1000grit particle balls are extremely aggressive, that is what they are designed to do, grip the lanes very early... as noted in this link:
http://ebonite.com/products/product_page.php?PRKey=215

The information I gave him was advise to get the ball to snap more and later, he never said initially that the ball was'nt hooking, if he did than my advise would have been to use Abralon at 500 grit.
your going to suggest sanding an already extremely heavy oil ball down to 500 grit? good luck with that, watch it bite in mid air, and by the time it hits the lane it would have rolled out, therefore cutting any hook potential right down, why not suggest some 40 grit glass sandpaper, that will really bite :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

IF YOU CAN'T HOOK THAT BALL, THERE IS SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE BALL THAT IS IMPACTING ON THE AMOUNT OF HOOK...

here is the list again: ball speed, lane conditions, tilt, area of lane that you are playing, amount of revs, lane surface.

And finally if none of these things are the cause, go buy a different ball and throw that one in the car park, it is Ebonite after all, j/k...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

tonx said:
Tonx, 1000 Abralon is almost polished,
So what you saying there is that either there is no point in buying polish, or that ebonites bowling balls that come dull are actually reacting very similar to their factory finish polished balls, as 1000grit abralon is actually ebonites factory finish for dull balls, as noted in this link:

http://ebonite.com/tradesection/comercial_prod_catalog/detail.php?PRKey=8

believe me a particle ball with 1000 Abralon does not bite much,
i don't know if your talking bowlers with 1 rev or 2, because 1000grit particle balls are extremely aggressive, that is what they are designed to do, grip the lanes very early... as noted in this link:
http://ebonite.com/products/product_page.php?PRKey=215

your going to suggest sanding an already extremely heavy oil ball down to 500 grit? good luck with that, watch it bite in mid air, and by the time it hits the lane it would have rolled out, therefore cutting any hook potential right down, why not suggest some 40 grit glass sandpaper, that will really bite :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

IF YOU CAN'T HOOK THAT BALL, THERE IS SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE BALL THAT IS IMPACTING ON THE AMOUNT OF HOOK...

here is the list again: ball speed, lane conditions, tilt, area of lane that you are playing, amount of revs, lane surface.

And finally if none of these things are the cause, go buy a different ball and throw that one in the car park, it is Ebonite after all, j/k...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

VERY VERY WELL SAID...Apart for one bit...... the ball would start hooking on the backswing :p :p

tonx said:
In regards to the xxcel not hooking there could be many different variables, (ball speed, tilt, axis rotation, revs, lane conditions etc)

If you're referring to oil I don't think he needs to consider that variable - you'd have better luck strapping a chicko roll to the front of your ball.

It's a dream of mine to see some oil in Queensland. Might see it up here once or twice a year now with the Tournament Kegel - we'll see soon enough.

Thanks for all that information Tonx, very enlightening, but I'm pretty sure if you sand to 40 grit you get less bite, 200 is about the maximum before you lose bite.

Now I don't know how he bowls you may be right, so if he is like me and bowls fast than he will have to sand to 500. I have a New Blue Hammer which came in box condition at 500 Abralon, if I use 1000 than I can't get enough turn on it, I've tried it. Whats too fast these days, I sure don't know.

He say's in his post that the ball was drilled to go long so just maybe a bit more bite is what he needs. Maybe where he bowls they don't wash thier lanes, I don't know, he has asked for advise and I have tried to provide that in an informative way.

What your doing, I don't know, your telling him I'm wrong, that he obviously does'nt bowl to your standard so it's him not the ball, you may be right.

As far as polishing particle balls go, there are enough products to use without using actual polish and if you need a polished particle than buy one, it will do a better job than polishing one.

willey.

I've checked back through Scooters profile, he bowls about 160 average has about 12 revs on the ball, had the XXCEl drilled by Brando, was happy with it at first but now he's not so happy.

Seeing you work part time in a bowling centre you should have access to a ball spinner, I would suggest you hit the cover, every time you bowl, with either the 1000 Abralon or the 500, as with most sanded particles they start to smooth out on the track very easily. If you have'nt re-sanded since you bought the thing than it is overdue, this maybe why it has lost it's bite.

willey.

OK everyone chill for a moment lol :lol:
I didn't get it drilled by Brando i bought it off him i bowl about 20-25 km/h and the ball is going good now i was just trying to do so much to it with so little revs seeming though i get about 12 revs on it but its hooking a fair bit now and i'm happy with it, i wasnt keeping my hand behind it basically and was tilting my wrist but its all good now thanx 4 evry1s advice! 8)

good to hear buddy, I was always chilled... lol. in future, a general rule of thumb is if it isn't hooking enough, move outside and if its hooking too much, move inside. There are always exeptions, but that is the general rule for THS...

Back
Top Bottom