J

Jeff Ussery

Pin to PAP Distance: 4 1/2"
Preferred Spin Axis to PAP Distance: 3 3/4"
Degree Layout Conversion: 45 Degrees
Balance Hole: 25/32" Hole x 2" Deep on Positive Axis Point
Surface Preparation: Box Condition

What I Was Looking For in this Ball and Layout:

As I talked about in my Angular One review, sometimes we don't really know what to expect from a new release. In this case, I was even further complicated by my frustration with my SR300 bowling ball. When I drilled my SR300, I had no idea what to expect from this lower differential core. I made an error in layout and chose a pin to axis distance that was probably too weak. After learning my lesson with the SR300 (reviewed on this site), I wasn't going to make the same mistake with the new RXS300.

What I Ended Up With in this Ball and Layout:

Once again, getting finer grit shiny finish Ebonite bowling balls through the front part of the lane is almost never a problem. This allows me to use stronger pin to positive axis point distances. Even though the ball flares more (creating more friction), the coverstock pushes the ball down lane. In fact, the RXS300 clears the front part of the lane exceptionally well for me, even in this stronger layout. On our Guardian lane surface at my home center, the RXS300 pushed to the 36-38 foot mark at a minimum on every shot (a rarity in our center).

The breakpoint is where I get what I didn't get from the SR300. By using a stronger layout with a very strong preferred spin axis location, I was able to create a ball reaction that responds well to the friction. In fact, for my game, the RXS300 responds to the friction very nicely. Can a ball cover a lot of boards in the back portion of the lane but not be angular in motion? If so, than that's what the RXS300 does. It never really seems to respond exceptionally quickly, but it covers a massive amount of space in a very short amount of time. I would never call the shape I get from this ball angular, but the ball seems to recover from places that other balls with matching RGs and differentials don't even try.

Overall hook is not the strongest suit of the RXS300, but that's okay. It wasn't meant to be when it was designed by the folks in Hopkinsville. At my 3 ball test, the RXS300 performed similar in total hook to the weak layout Big One that I've also reviewed today. Because the ball covers so much ground in the back 20 feet, it's able to match the Big One in total boards. The fashion that the ball gets to the pocket is totally different from everything else in my bag. At this point, I'm prepared to recommend the RXS300 to all tournament/higher average players who are looking for a unique type of ball reaction. Due to my success and knowledge gained by drilling this core shape twice, I can't wait to get my hands on a second SR300.

Length from 1-10 (Early to Late)

Breakpoint Move from 1-10 (Smooth to Sharp)

Overall Hook from 1-10 (Low to High)

To see a picture of this ball layout, visit my website at www.proshoptraining.com.