Role models for our sport

mickyd213

I have posted a similar line in the Austalian open section but believe it's deserving of it's own thread...

Congratulations need to be extended to both George Frilingos and Jason Belmonte for their efforts on the weekend... Not only for their efforts on the lanes which would have to be the best display of bowling I have seen for quite some time, But also for their efforts off the lanes... Before and after their squads and matchplay they both made themselves available to all the spectators present for photos and autographs even stopping for a chat with anyone. They were very approachable and very professional both on and off the lanes...

Well done guys.

I agree totally with mickyd123 on that and the both of them are very approachable and genuine men.
I also found Dominic Barrett quite good to chat to as well even though he was not bowling but supporting his lovely girlfriend.
Great Open and well organised and run.
Great job to all involved.
And if young bowlers want to look up to anyone they can definitely look up to Belmo, George Frilingos and pretty much any bowler that bowled in this Tourney.

Cheers Lyndon

Nice post here.
Belmo is fantastic on and off the lanes. Especially great with the kids.
George is brilliant also. He has made himself available to some of our juniors here too and I cant thank him enough.

Grant

I have to support this line. My daughter had her first upclose meeting with George early this month when she subbed for a friend at Chermside. She had to play against GF. Here we have a 15yo playing the Aust No1 bowler. She got within 2 pins of him throwing a 215 game. The real thrill came 10 days later at Bris A/Port. While waiting to fly south for the Junior Nationals we see GF arrive to check in (supprisingly on time). After checking in he came over to us and sat down for a general chat. He also remebered her name. This made her day. Thank you GF.

This is starting to sound like a GF appreciation thread, but saying that I can only add to it. My daughter met George one night while we were bowling, not knowing who he was she simply sat down with us & started talking. She has a pet name for him which I will not reveal, but later on when she started bowling there was only one person she wanted to drill her ball and after that GF spent some time with her on the lanes, which again was greatly appreciated. Saying that, she is not overawed by meeting our top bowlers, she see's Carl Bottomley at every family gathering and while watching the TV in our local centre said...hey that's Uncle Carl !!!.....

A big thanks go out to all of our top players, on most occasions I have found the approachable and more than willing to talk. A big thanks goes out to all.....

Thanks guys, it is really nothing, I love bowling and I enjoy spending time with people who share the same passion as myself. The juniors are our future so its important people like Belmo and myself are around as much as possible to help out where we can. Belmo is an International Superstar and just having him in Australia bowling does heaps for the sport. My bowling schedule takes me all around Australia and I get to meet some interesting and fun people along the way. If you see me at your local bowl, just say hi, I promise not to bite (can't say the same about Belmo though).

Just adding to your post George, having guys like Belmo and yourself out there improving the image of our sport and making yourself available to people to talk to, sign autographs etc is great to see. I must say, even though Belmo and yourself were the major drawcards on the weekend, it was awesome to see and bowl infront of a crowd like that. Hopefully we can get the same sort of support for the upcoming tournaments this year because it certainly makes it more fun to bowl with big crowds watching and cheering on!

On a side note, I'm currently auditioning for a large TV show, if I get through, you'll see some major publicity for the sport! stay tuned

On a side note, I'm currently auditioning for a large TV show, if I get through, you'll see some major publicity for the sport! stay tuned

Ha - It can't be the biggest loser, but I haven't seen you for a while - have you been stacking on the kilo's ;);):eek:

Hey George,
Number 96 finished in the 70's, are they bringing it back. People who remember the show, I know what part George would play.
Cheers Lovey

It's gotta be EMBARASSING BODIES. Maybe they can help you get rid of that orange skin colour.

George,

When you and Alene win the next season of My Kitchen Rules, I hope bowling is splashed all over the TV. Mind you Gerry Cox set the bar pretty high in Come Dine with me, so it's over to you :D:D

It's a bit of a shame you couldn't have found your way up to Innisfail for the State Championships and Masters this weekend George.
A lot of people were looking forward to seeing Australia's number 1 ranked bowler in action...especially those you had previously agreed to bowl with.
Sorry if it was not " worthwhile " you making the trip...I'm sure you would have been a hit here.

Back
Top Bottom