Ritger Drills

A

Anita

First i apologise if u don't spell Rictor Drills like that but you get the general idea.

The first Tassie training session for the Junior state occured on Sunday and i noticed the new people and even some old hats making some nice and not so nice remarks about these drills we were trying to master.

What's your opinion? do u luv 'em hate 'em. think there important or pointless.
and do they give any of you nightmares?
icon_wink.gif
icon_confused.gif

seeing as my dad used to coach with mr ritger i have learned them nearlly my whole life.
i think that these drills are important and they are very helpfull to ur game
and i agree with u brett those who complain about these drills do need them the most
i practice these drills every week and they have helped me alot.
luv shellby
xoxoxo
icon_smile.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_wink.gif
icon_razz.gif

A very good topic Annie and several good replies already. I am very interested to hear what the rest of the Tassie juniors think.
After reading your post, maybe we should arrange a more detailed explanation/demonstration of the Ritger drills at our next practise for the benefit of everybody concerned - especially the newer members of the team. The Ritger drills are a great training tool and have been practised by many if not all of our current champions.

And yes Brett
icon_biggrin.gif
, I have managed to improve my execution since my first attempt many,many years ago
icon_wink.gif
icon_wink.gif

Hi Annie,

You have raised an interesting topic.

I was showing one of the new boys team members the drills at that practice.

It is important to explain to the bowler what they are for and the benifit of doing them.

They are very handy if used in the correct way and used for what they were designed for.

Dick RITGER calls them the feelings of bowling.
E.G. The balance line drill should give you the feeling of what it is like to have good balance at the foul line.

I have found those who complain about doing them need them the most and those that knuckle down and try to learn from the will benifit the most.

Another interesting thing i have found is that girls seem to do them better than boys.

Will be interesting to see other opinions.

Ask Garry to demonstate some for you at your next practice, i hope he has improved from the first time i saw him do them.

See you soon.

icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Annie,

First of all, the way you spell "ritger" drills, is like that. Anyway, I knew what you meant after reading your post.
icon_smile.gif

I think back to when I first started bowling, I had no idea what I was doing but doing the ritger drills as part of the training for the lead up to President Shield and Nationals, it did help me in the long run. I think they are important to a certain extent because you learn the basics of push-away, balance line drill, one-step drill, release, follow through, etc. Once you think you have mastered these drills, it's easy to get bored with them because you are constantly doing the same thing over and over again but until you get it right, in terms of timing, balance and release, you just have to keep on practising. Not everyone will agree with me but that's just my opinion on the matter.

Hope I haven't confused you in anyway.

Also, I agree with what Brett said in his post, get someone to demonstrate the drills and show you how to do them properly, so that you get all the benefits and advantages of using the ritger drills.

Danni

icon_smile.gif
icon_razz.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif

Hi Anita,
Well said Brett!! I think Ritger drills do have a lot to offer if they are done in the correct way intended. As for the girls and boys issue, the boys always seemed to miss the point of them when I was in shield and we always started off with the drills at our trainings.
Anyways, Anita, if you do want some help and find Garry isn't a great demonstrator of the drills (lol) or you want some one to do them with so you don't feel like such an idiot up on the lanes by yourself, just yell ok
icon_biggrin.gif
I would be happy to help.
Seeya soon!!
Kassey.

The Ritger drills are great when helping bowlers develop a natural, consistant swing and release. I've used them for a couple of years and find them really helpful.
Anyone who feels that their timeing is out should give these a go, you'll be amazed at the results
icon_smile.gif

Some of it's good, i've still got the 2 little books from one of his classes I went to in 1990 lying around somewhere. About the only teaching of his i don't really like is the follow through he demonstrates. Some of the methods of adjusting(eg 3-6-9 system)might not apply like they used to either because of todays balls and lane conditions, but it's good for learning the basics.

I DO NOT!! have a problem doing these drills thank you all very much.

(thanks for the advice though if i was it was nice of you all to offer it.)

Personally i think they help. You know what it should feel like in release and each stage of aproach which is good. If it feels wroung you know you are doing something wroung and you can work to correct it even if you aren't quite sure what that something is.

I reckon that the drills are very good, and help the bowler improve a fair amount also. Sure it takes tim( as does everytihng) and it is worth it. It helped my game out a heap.

Back
Top Bottom