REVS

This is not really something you can explain in words, you would be best to get a coach.

Dave

yep get a coach, and hit the gym, u need to be strong to develop alot of rotation

]this wass covered in a previous thread about the wide hook

Timing, Balance, Strong body position. Thats where your power comes from, dont get all caught up with 'Hook' and 'Lift'

revs are for girls, palm that ball!
bowling_girls.jpg

As per the comments in [thread=21954]"How is the Wide Hook performed?"[/thread], the question I'd ask is "Why?".

Generating more revs is a solution, but to what problem? What are you trying to accomplish?

Purely for the sake of watching it turn a mile? The great bowlers who hook the ball don't get the big scores because they hook it a mile, they get the big scores because of talent and accuracy.

If you learn to bowl in a mechanically sound fashion (smooth and comfortable, whatever style that be for you) then the appropriate amount of revolutions will be imparted on the ball automatically. If you're focussed on "How do I make it rotate faster?", you aren't focussed on "Let's hit that mark"

To illustrate my point, Belmo has a very high rev because of his style, not because he's trying to rip the case off it (Belmo, correct me if I'm wrong mate). Bowl the ball naturally over the right spot and it will rotate as per its drilling and your natural style. Belmo's natural style is conducive to high revs.

Like Dave said though, you need a coach to explain how to get revs on YOUR shot, it's not as simple as saying "Lift" or "Cup" (although these are valid components of a high-rev delivery)

Anyway, good luck with it

This may not help you, but because i dont have much arm or wrist strength I do not put my thumb in the ball when hooking I simply cup the ball on my approach and then very quicky (depending on the revs i want) flick my hand from 6 o'clock to 3 o'clock (9 o'clock if your a lefty) and still using the hand shake method to aim at the target.
My targets are the arrows at the front of the lane
the lane conditions and type of ball make a huge difference
i'm still trying to master this my self
the scout reactive i have was a poor choice for what i'm trying to achive
but is ok for coast to coast if the conditions are right
otherwise i use my good ol` plastic for a more half lane type of hook
If the lanes are saturated with oil all the way down to the pins then you wont get much speed unless you have a non shiny ball which is my next purchase because I dont think it's a good idea to sand my ball back

Back
Top Bottom