Results - 1st Queensland (North) Rachuig Roll-Offs

• Thread starter Killswitch Engage
  • Start date
tell it how it is

To the EX bowler

The sad :cry: part of this post is that Stephen is the only one who has got the BALLS to say anything about the weekend in Cairns.

Many people thought the same bowlers and spectators but know one else has the guts to back him up :twisted: :twisted: except me.

If you weren't there at the roll offs well what do you know :twisted: if you think we are all cry babies well don't we have a right to say how we feel ever heard of freedom of speech and so we should when we are paying good money for the roll offs.

As for not putting a name to your post just because family still are invovled in the sport doesn"t mean that they should be ostracised over your comments how about a name HEY

Kerri Bailey

Even if only half the points that Steve Hunt has raised are true, then there is a problem. It is no good ridiculing bowlers and calling them whingers simply because they are unhappy about something.

These guys were there to try out for the State and we need all the State roll-off nominees we can get.

If poor conditions are allowed to continue the bowlers will simply walk. Lets face it - Rachuig is not totally flavour of the month, and if we want our best bowlers to continue to participate we need to listen more and criticise less.

All over Queensland there are top quality bowlers who do not nominate for State and this trend is continuing. If we don't learn from our mistakes the Rachuig Teams will soon be made up of very average A and B grade bowlers.

Well I am no doubt going to cop heaps for this but that’s life.

If all the lanes were exactly the same, what’s the challenge.
Why do we have more than one ball ? I have three, so if both of
my reactive balls don’t work on my favourite line I have to adjust
until I find a line to the pocket if that does not work I get my spare
ball out and go back to basic’s.( Have not had to do that for a while )

Don’t get me wrong one day I will hold a 200+ ave and bowl
in the scratch state team, I just hope I can remember how to adjust
to differing lane conditions even if it is on a pair.

I suppose we could do away with all the synthetic lanes and make all
the centers in the world timber and make them all use the same oil
machines, oil, cleaning products and make them use the same pattern
that way we would only ever need one or two balls no matter where we went.

progressive scores

Lana, I think you're right....The progressive scores appeared on the second morning..

DEN

Score sheets

I went to Cairns centre both days and there was only one progressive score sheet on display and that was on the Sunday morning.Did not see it updated through out the day.As for the centre and staff well best we leave that to another post, probably something like Cairns City Championships.

re exbowler

Here Here to exbowler, I have to agree with exbowler in everything they said. I have been dealing with the bowling industry for some time now and it seems that there is a new brand of bowler,some of you are a bunch of softies, I cannot believe how much you complain about everything. Please, lane conditions, if the conditions were all the same and all bowlers got strike after strike, how boring and monotonous the sport would be, nothing beats watching in anticipation and feel the thrill and nerves of somebody try to spare the impossible spare, anybody can strike it, but a spare is magic. Also I have to defend Cairns Goldpin Lanes, every centre has it's problems in all departments, just because you're having a bad bowl day you can't just point the problem to the centre, did you ever think that maybe your bowling technic is out of tune, besides Cairns Goldpin is just the venue, it's the committe that run the show. And yes everybody has the right to get it off their chest, but if you want bowlers to participate in these events how are you going to get them to do so, if you put down a centre, just because it didn't agree with your style of bowling. They read a bad comment about a centre and the first thing they will think is "well we won't be going there EVER", then you've just lost a bowler for the comp and it continues. If you end up with nobody bowling in these events you've only got yoursevles to blame, word your problems a little bit more diplomatically instead of beating the centre with a stick. For example... lane conditions, instead of saying how crappy they were, you could say "the conditions are not what I am use to, but it gave me a challenge"...that sounds more inviting. You can't tell me that bowlers are ALL BALLS and NO BRAINS. The conditions were not poor, they were not in your comfort zone. Cairns is a great centre, and i've been to enough to know if it wasn't. All I really wanted to say is that......... Bright lights, loud music,kids screaming, no lights, it shouldn't matter to you, if you are all that you are cracked up to be then you should be right, bottom line is............If you are a good bowler you can bowl under ANY condition. And no I am not going to put my name to this, because I don't need to......... \:D/

Zorro,

That's right you don't have to put your name to the post, because that way it is a lot easier to sling mud at other people and not have to qualify any of the statements you make.

You reckon the bowlers are softies, well what about the spineless morons such as yourself and ExBowler (hello Judy or is it Judith ??) who get on here and sledge people like myself who make qualified statements and who have the guts to put our names to it. By the way it wasn't just the bowlers who thought the treatment received in Cairns was pretty shabby, there were also numerous spectators who took no part in proceedings who were also quite shocked and upset at the previously identified inadequacies - does this make them softies and whingers as well???

The way you zealously defend Cairns bowl is admirable, but last time I looked it wasn't the NQAC's job to fix machines, stock the snack bar or ensure that the floor of the playing area is free of sticky substances that could cause serious injury.

I am 100% confident that my bowling technique had nothing to do with the problems I rose in my original post, and if you had of done your research you would have seen this before posting your highly erroneous statements.

You see, I missed the cut at this years Cairns Open and bowled well below my average and expectations. Who's fault was this - 150% MINE, because I missed some easy spares and generally bowled like a gumby. Did I complain no, in fact I do believe that I made numerous comments to people both at home and abroad about what a great job Gavin and Karen did organising the tournament and how well it was run. So why then would I go back to the same place a couple of months later shoot a 210 average, top the qualifying and make a whole list of complaints. Oh I know, BECAUSE THEY WERE ALL TRUE!!!!!!!

You say that it is people like myself complaining that will stop people from bowling in tournaments, well in my meagre 27 years in the bowling industry what most bowlers hate is paying a lot of money to be treated like crap, receiving little or no information as to what is occurring (ie score sheets), and bowling on what what can best be described as sub standard lane conditions. I agree lane conditions should not be super easy and there should be some element of challenge/skill involved, but they also shouldn't be a lucky dip where every pair you walk onto are different either.

Seriously between people like yourself, Ex Bowler and certain members of the NQAC who feel the need to make disparaging comments about bowlers behind their backs is it any wonder that people pull out of representitive teams, don't bowl tournaments and in worse case scenarios quit the sport altogether.

I am normally a pretty easy going guy, but if I am of the belief that myself and/or other bowlers are getting the rough end of the pineapple then I am going to stand up and say something. If you don't like it well that's your problem, I most certainly am not going to modify my response to meet your diplomatic criteria. If taking a big stick approach means that the bowlers are treated better then so be it.

Last but by no means least, for the member of the NQAC who thought my original post on this subject was in breach of the Code of Conduct and wanted to bring me before the Ethics Committee. If you feel this post is also in breach then to you I say GO YOUR HARDEST, but at least have the guts to say it to my face, don't be gutless and go behind my back.

Steve Hunt

I threw a line in and I caught the big one, very predictable. I would just like to point out that my comments were not directed at anybody in particular, they are my observations. There is no need for school yard behaviour of name calling which shows the level of intelligence. All centres have there problems. I chose not to put my name up because I can, that does not make me a lesser person than anybody else and finally............... sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

GOOD LUCK AND HIGH SCORES

Well G'day!
Bowlings fun! Isn't it? or was it?
having never done this before I'll try not to go on and on and on. When I first started in this game I used to go and watch and score for a legend named Vic Bubniw, Poetry in Motion great to learn from and a true gentleman. So how do i get better? Simple! Practice Practice Practice, get new shoes and new balls (a Brunswick Black Knight) if i remember correctly, bowling is starting to thrive. So if i get better i could represent my centre and if i get better it could be my State and maybe one day My Country. After years of Rachuig and finally FIQ and having a win overseas, I now look back and think where are all these great bowlers and friends and organisers, like Ruth Guerster, Silvano Prez, Janette Baker, John Sullivan, Kevin Harding, Frank Ryan, Ian Bradford, Gary Jefferies, Steve Jones, Cara Honeychurch just to mention a few.

Rachuig used to be the best event on the bowling Calender, fierce competition, and did we have fun? You betcha! What's happened? Does anyone know. Is it to expensive? Are we too formal do we need to have coaches are there to many rules. Very Sad!

Well I'm up in North Queensland now...
...Hang on, i mean Queensland North, still bowling and still averaging over 200 with my Nuclear powered, turbo charged equipment, still involved with Rachuig, trying to help and motiviate others, it is because of the friends and players of the past, that I care about the game in the future, especially Steve Jones and John Sullivan. All this brings me to a point! Being a bowlers forum, Should we be able to say what we like or review events and conditions (Absolutely!) What's the point of having about $ 2000 worth of equipment, practicing till you're stuffed, being mentally prepared to go to a State team Roll off and then realise that on the conditions your about to play on well, it may as well have been in the carpark. I feel that associations and Committees should remember they should be trying to represent the bowlers not the other way around, for as long I hear people saying we all have to compete on the same conditions so if there tuff, bad luck! Let me address this, if bowling centres have good conditions and a bowler bowls average or better they will return, but if there is Disco bowling, No Snackbar, lane breakdowns, Sticky approaches, they won't!

So in closing let it be known that I support one of my new mates in bowling Stephen Hunt and his right to view and review, let's try to get along and bring the FUN back into this sport of ours so that our game grows bigger and better not smaller and crappier.

I'll sign off using my new user name

GEOFF THE OTT

IT'S NOT OVER TILL THE FAT MAN SINGS!!!

To All

Yes Geoff, bowling used to be fun.

But, to my memory that was a very very long time ago!

I started bowling in 1985 at a very tender age and here I am 20 years later at 33 with numerous Rachuig, tournaments, Presidents Shield and East Coast experience under my belt .... and you know what it means absolutely squat. Having not picked up a bowling ball since September last year is extremely refreshing and absolutely liberating. I never thought I would say this because bowling was my life, my passion and so much fun I could never have imagined there is so much more to life than bowling. :lol:

Sure I sound dissallusioned and extremely negative but I stopped enjoying it and when this happens there is nothing left. I finally had a realisation that bowling would never be any more to me than what it was in September last year.

See, the problem I believe is not bowling as a sport or as a game it is individuals and their actions. Whether it be in a comittee, governing body, Centre owners / Managers, Local & State Associations or bowlers in general. It all comes down to accountability, personally and professionally.

In tenpin bowling there is no accountability. We can sit back analyse, dissect, question and theorise all we like but until there is accountability the sport of tenpin bowling will die.

Dictionary meaning for Accountable : "Liable to be called to account; answerable"

This is the point Steve is making in his post: Who is going to stand up and take the heat and provide the answers for what occurred the weekend of the Roll Offs?

Or will it be normal policy to duck, weave and blame some other poor sap who does not have the kudos to stand up and face the music.

I guess until recently I chose to ignor this type of futile behaviour and just get on with it. Sure, I spoke up on many an occasion, got myself in some trouble on many an occasion but never shied away from standing up for what I believed in. At least I can look myself in the mirror and tried to do right. Not always but hey, I tried. I did alot more than many people who prefer to stab you in the back at every turn...... gutless and spineless!

When you have people involved in the industry and sport who could not lie straight in bed if their lives depended on it, so absorbed in their own self worth, willing to lie and manipulate the system for their own benefit ..... then what do you have!

You have tenpin bowling in its current state of decline. This is an all to common scenario in the world of bowling. Sad but true!

Fortunately, not all people involved in bowling are nasty, self absorbed, dishonest, gossips and wanna be's. There are many kind, caring and genuine people involved in the sport and hopefully it is these people that provide the opportunity for the sport to progress.

Steve, I admire you for having the kudos for standing up with your beliefs and principles. Don't ever change or back down. As long as there are people like you there is a faint glimmer of hope.

There is no need to worry about facing an ethics committee, as far as I am aware it is just two words that form a very convincing ghost detterant for people who abuse the system. You can pretty much do, say, or treat people however you like without any consequence or penalty no matter who you are. How else do you maintain government grants ... you have to at least look like you are protecting your members. I made the mistake of thinking that my sanction fee and the physical card actually provided me with some sort of member protection as a person and bowler. I actually thought once you sanctioned and affiliated you had personal rights and liberties free from harassment and abuse. Was I wrong .... anything goes! It is just open slather .... let the blood run free!

And to the people who support him, congratulations for standing by someone who you believe to be right and justified. That in itself is not an easy thing to do because you to face the firing squad.

Zorro, throwing a line out to grab the big one is neither beneficial or mature as far as I am concerned. Yes, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but being obnoxious is not a quality to be proud of either.

Otty, with you in the sport there will always be fun, laughter and lightheartedness. You are like a breath of fresh air. Keep up the good spirits, it will do wonders fro the team!

I will not hide behind the bravado of being anonymous.... this is who I am, like me or don't.... I do not care.

Cheers
Sam Warby

If you can't stand the heat get out of the Kitchen :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom