Record entries at American Bowling Congress Championships

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
The 102nd American Bowling Congress Championships Tournament doesn't start until February, but it is already reaching unprecedented levels. On Monday October 4, entry 12,204 was processed, making the 2005 Tournament the largest ever held outside Reno, Nev., and the fifth largest overall. The number surpasses the 12,203 teams that competed in Knoxville, Tenn., in 2003.

Almost three months remain for teams to enter, but nearly all of March, April, May and June are sold out, leaving open dates in February. As demand dictates, dates are opened at the end of the Tournament, which has already been extended by four days. The 2005 ABC Tournament will be held at the Baton Rouge River Center from Feb. 12 through at least June 29. It marks the first time the Tournament has been held in Louisiana.

Over the past several weeks, entries have been coming in at a brisk pace and there's a good chance the Tournament could become the first sell-out in more than a decade.

"For us to be at 12,204 teams in early October in a non-Reno year is unbelievable. It's a testament to the Tournament and to the draw of Baton Rouge," ABC Assistant Executive Director Jack Mordini said. "Our bowlers have really taken a liking to the idea of traveling to Louisiana, and there are still openings in February, which really is a nice time of year there."

Angela Paul of Harrison, Tenn., entered team number 12,204 Monday to break the record. Paul, who ironically moved from Knoxville to Chattanooga a year ago, went to watch the 100th Tournament at the Knoxville Convention Center but never took part.

"My friends tried to talk me into going to Reno the next year, but it didn't fit into my schedule," said Paul, a 24-year-old accountant. "Baton Rouge sounded like a fun trip, and I thought it would be great to go. I got some new people from Chattanooga to go who have never been before."

The four largest ABC Tournaments were held in Reno, averaging nearly 16,500 teams in 1995, 1998, 2001 and 2004. All of those Tournaments were held at the National Bowling Stadium.

THATS AMAZING...........

makes you wonder where australian bowling will be after 102 years

we are only young aren't we

Back
Top Bottom