Qubica AMF Sports Series 2011

jec

Hi All
We are pleased to announce that the Qubica/AMF NSW Sport Series will continue in 2011. We are happy to welcome Qubica/AMF and Glenn Rowland as our Major Sponsors for 2011. AMF will also be a sponsor and Jason Doust will continue with his Sportsperson award from Bowler’s Edge. AMF will also be sponsoring the final by $1000.

We are looking at a slightly different format for this year with two mini series contributing to the major series. Qubica/AMF will provide a ball for the winner of each Mini-Series (3 events) and for the overall series winner and runner-up. There will also be a draw for all bowlers who have bowled in 2 or more events in each mini-series for a Qubica/AMF ball.
Glenn will also be providing some demonstrations and information days at the Sport Series events and our National Coach Chris Batson has agreed to attend and help all the bowlers at selected events.

The Dates and venues for 2011 are as follows

13/3 North Strathfield
1/ 5 Blacktown
19/6 Villawood
21/8 Macarthur
2/10 Rooty Hill
27/11 Castle Hill

The event has been reduced to 8 games to finish a little earlier, but we are looking at holding a Step ladder final to finish it off each series - any thoughts?

Cost is $90

We will be posting more details soon.

Best Wishes Stephen and John.

Hmmmmm, seems to clash with the other series being run quite well. Neither will survive if they are going to be competition to each other. Suggest some dates are moved of one or the other so that bowlers who want to bowl in both can be catered for.

I totally agree with Chris. And personally I don't like the idea of reduce to 8 games, it increases the game cost and reduce the competition, also it will not save much time.

personally i was going to try to attend any tournament in NSW this year. If these dates coincide it will simply be a toss of a coin for the next three events of both sports series and the grand prix series due to them being held on the same dates.

Scott Lutschini

Thoughts? Here are mine...

It is dissapointing that the first 3 rounds clash with the Grand Prix series. There is no point having these run on the same dates at all. Surely something can be done about this John? The whole point about having the new GP series was to give bowlers in NSW more to bowl in, i for 1 would bowl as many events in both SS and GP series as i could providing they did not clash.

Now i understand some clashes are going to happen but the 1st 3 events?

As a bowler who has never cashed in any event, i clearly bowl for the enjoyment of it and not to win (although it is my hope one day). I bowl to experience tougher conditions than the league shot i bowl in twice a week and to meet new people like i did on Sunday at Fairfield. As a bowler who isnt necessarily in it to win it if i had to decide on an event if 2 were on the same date id go for the one with more games, so id have to agree with JP on the decreased games for SS, i realise the $ rate has come down as well but im happy to pay the extra 10 for 2 more games. Im also not sure of the value of a Step ladder and how many would stay around for it especially those who may have travelled to the event.

Also i think a ladies division would be a good idea in the SS.

Hopefully some shifting can be done to get as many bowlers to these NSW events as no one wins with clashes like these.

I am sure something will be worked out with the dates will leave that alone.

I personally think reducing the games down to 8 is a good move due to sports patterns are not meant for a large amount of games to be bowled on in the first place...PBA, World Champs, Asian Zone never have any more that 7-8 games bowled in one block.

I do understand that ppl want to bowl games but $90 for 8 games is still fairly cheap.

Just my thoughts

We are working on the dates right now. With Dad and myself being overseas in Abu Dhabi and Matt having some time off for sickness the dates we have had a greater delay in getting time to check our dates and communicate, therefore the dates we had thought of before are now not quite so convenient. We are looking to move the first 3 events and hopefully we can, however it does come down to centre availability and avoiding clashes with the TBA Ranked events.

We've had a slightly mixed reaction to the idea of a change of games. The idea of the series is to accommodate to you, the bowler. We have been trying to give you the series that you want. As Jez just pointed out many international events rarely go past the 8 game mark. With FIQ having 6 game events and 8 games in masters (with only one to a pair). We appreciate that we have a mix of levels that compete and hopefully the series provides a great training ground for everyone to see and understand what their own skills, strengths and weaknesses are. I think all of us involved in the QUBICA/AMF Sport Series are looking to give all our bowlers the greatest overall experience possible. Perhaps, if we tested the 8 game format in one of the earlier events the group can decide both at the event and on here what is preferred.

It's truly up to all of you.

I will disagree about "... sports patterns are not meant for a large amount of games to be bowled on in the first place ...", PBA break down to 8 games a block, not because of sports pattern reason, all bowlers have to bowl 8 games on fresh condition, and 8 game on burned condition. If we only bowl 8 games then we will never practice on burned condition.

Regarding $90 for 8 games, as Jaz said it is fairly cheap, but comparing with 95$ for 10 games, I will go 10 games.

JP, I believe the only PBA events that do that are a few of the majors, where the field size has been to big to oil before every squad. Even in these majors the squad still bowls 2/3 squads on fresh and it's only in qualifying. Most PBA events are blocks of 7 or 8 with the entire exempt field plus TQR's involved. Even the matchplay rounds are done in blocks of 8.

With 2-3 people per lane, we still see as much burn as compared to many, if not all, other events.

Cheers, Cow

Cow, Here is the PBA guy (Xtraframe) explains the reasons of PBA takes 6-8 games approach
1) Each block, bowler will bowl with different people, and follow different bowler, it makes more fair for the game.
2) To reduce the situation of someone may bowl super well on that particular day. This also makes the game more fair.

I don't know where was Jaz's theory from, we can send an question to Kegel for how many games their patterns can be bowled.

Cheers,
JP

Personally i am not a fan of the stepladder format but like the idea of there only being 8 games. With the potential to reduce from 10 games down to 8 games, was there any consideration to reduce the entry fee (to say $80) as well?

I had always thought that these patterns aren't designed for ten games of two per lane (even more so when people are playing all different parts of the lane, and often with sanded equipment). What starts out as a challenge has the potential to end up being a lottery by the end of the day (unless of course the pattern holds up and most of the field play the pattern the way it is designed to be played). From memory there have been a few times in the past when someone has led for most of the day only to hit a 'dungeon' pair on games 9/10 which plays vastly different to every other pair and be over run by someone.

I havent bowled in one of these events for a while now but am looking forward to the start of this years series. Thanks to Qubica/AMF for coming on board in 2011 and Bowlers Edge for their continued support.

Cheers
Adam

An update for everyone.

We have moved our first three events. Our events are now on the following dates:

20th March at Villawood
8th May at Blacktown
26th June at North Strathfield
21st August at MacArthur
02nd August at Rooty Hill
27th November at Castle Hill

We will be releasing all the patterns for each event before the 1st event.

Thanks, John and Stephen

An update for everyone.

21st August at MacArthur
02nd August at Rooty Hill
27th November at Castle Hill

We will be releasing all the patterns for each event before the 1st event.

Thanks, John and Stephen

Hi guys,

Just wondering if the Rooty Hill date was a typo or is it in August as well?

Damian.

Back
Top Bottom