Personal number

storm53

Could any1 plz tell me what a personal number is used for and how to work 1 out as well as any other information u know about it thanx

A personal number is a number that is usually given to you by someone (often a coach) regarding your style. You use it in the following way:

Say, for example, Scott, you were given the number 9, like I have been, if you are told to use your number, and are told you have to hit, say for example 15 board, you would stand 24 board to hit your target. 15 + 9=24. So when you are given your target, you add on you personal number to find out where you have to stand. If you were told 5 board and your personal number was 9, you would stand 14 boad, and shoot 9 board (15+9=14). If your personal number was 7, and you had to shoot 10, you would stand 17, and shoot 10(10+7=17). I hope you follow, but if you don't, ask me when you see me next, and I will try to explain better.

Bubyee

Rowey:p

Rowan has covered it almost...
Theres a formula of somesort to use to work out your personal number. But before you can use it, you have to work out how many boards you drift...perhaps a high level coach or a development camp attendee can post the formula???
Also, I dont think you can really use your personal number if you wanna swing the ball...its more for playing down the boards...

Your "Personal Number" is a combination of your "Drift" + the number of boards you miss your ankle by when you bowl, 7 as a common reference point. If you want to find the exact number, get someone to watch you from behind when you bowl and record which board your slide foot finishes on and which board the centre of the ball passed over.

DRIFT
So to begin with, we have to find how much you drift. Easiest way, line up on the approach with your slide foot covering the centre dot board (19).

Bowl your normal strike feeling towards the 2nd arrow (board 10), doesn't matter if it doesn't hit the mark just that you're aiming toward it with your strike bowl.

When you've achieved a good strike feeling, remain at the foul line without moving your sliding foot and look to see where it is in relation to the centre dot board 19. You will either be covering the centre dot with your slide foot or be to the left or right of it.

You determine your "drift" by counting how many boards to the left or right of the centre dot your slide foot finishes. Don't count the centre dot board, do include the board you finish on.

Repeat the process about 10-12 times, each time you achieve a good strike feeling make a note of the number of boards. The most common number (of boards) is your Drift. This process will show you if you drift Left or Right and the number of boards or no drift (straight ahead).

PERSONAL NUMBER (PN)
So, we start with 7 as the common starting number (this is the distance from centre of ball to inside ankle of slide foot), to this we either add or subtract the number of boards you Drift.

Right hand bowler who drifts to the right, add your drift to 7 = PN
Right hand bowler who drifts to the left, subtract your drift from 7 = PN
Left hand bowler who drifts to the left, add your drift to 7 = PN
Left hand bowler who drifts to the right, subtract your drift from 7 = PN
Left or Right hand bowlers with 0 drift, PN = 7

Just remember, Right hander to right and Left hander to left PN = 7 + drift
Right hander to left and Left hander to right PN = 7 - drift

EG. Right hander drifts to rights 5 boards. 7 + 5 PN = 12
Right hand drifts to right 4 boards. 7 + 4 PN = 11
Right hand drifts to right 3 boards. 7 + 3 PN = 10
Same for Left hander drifting to left.

Right hander drift to left 5 boards. 7 - 5 PN = 2
Right hander drift to left 4 boards. 7 - 4 PN = 3
Right hander drift to left 3 boards. 7 - 3 PN = 4
Same for Left hander drifting to the right.

What does all this mean??
It lets you know where to stand on the approach so you'll be able to put the ball over a specific board at the foul line on the way to your target. You'll be more likely to be able to repeat a shot knowing exactally where you started from.

Sorry to all for such a long post. All this does go to show that Storm Super School does teach you something. I hope this has helped someone ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Gary as pretty much got the formula on the dot. You can't be given a personal number, as you already have one. You just need to know what it is. Any one can use a personal number, however, it's mainly the top bowlers, if any that do. Mainly because it requires an exceptionaly consistant approach. Especially in how much you drift.
Its purpose, however, is the ability for you to figure out basically where to play by merely watching others bowl, or if you have certain knowledge about the lanes. Eg, prefered breakpoint, etc.
Say if the the best line to score is straight down 10 board. You will know exactly where to stand. 10+/- your personal number. This is enable you to drift to 17 board, because nearly everyone lets the ball go 7 boards to the right, or left if your a lefty, or where their foot finishes. So you slide in on 17, let go of the ball on 10, its roll down the lane on 10 baord and strikes... hopefully.
It can also help alot with playing angles. However, this is where it starts to get complicated. You have start pivoting your feet to ensure that the angle your playing doesn't affect your drift, as well as doubling the angle you wish to play to make sure you move enough boards right or left so that when you pivot and walk normally you finish where you should.
Remember that this technique was developed a fair while back, when most bowlers were very square at the foul line and didn't throw the ball out and back. The way they created angles if need be was by walking on an angle towards the lane.
Ask me next time we are at training and I'll show you what I'm going on about.

Later Da Cowman!

Back
Top Bottom