the Pressure (to strike out on the tenth
frame) felt by the bowler. However I am
not going to share this enlightened
information until I have some positive
and intelligent feedback about WHAT IT
MIGHT BE.
P(XXX10) = ???
Only the strong shall survive.
WARNING: The answer will not be given lightly, so no begging (bribes will be accepted)

Well it depends on several things, firstly, is the bowler on a really good or perfect game going into the tenth. If a bowler is on a career best game then the pressure would be greater. Another factor is that the game/series/tournament/league is on the line going into the final frame. In that order the pressure would be greater. Less pressure with a game on the line than the entire season result. I think though for me it comes down to more pressure with a team than bowling singles, because you have people depending on you to bowl well.

Good attempt jhk67
As i see it you have only mentioned a couple of items that would affect the pressure.
Furthermore the factors you mentioned are only what I would call situation factors. That is the factors that affect pressure due to the situation you are in. Would the pressure to complete the tenth frame be higher during practice or say at the World Cup??

How about the factors that add to pressure that you can control and how do they relate to each other to give a VALUE for pressure.

Come on Totalbowling..... thought you were better than this.
Think outside your silly little boxes.......for once!

If you have found aformula for "pressure" then you woudl be the only person that has. Phil Mickelson could use your advice right about now....

Well, I didnt FIND it. I worked it out.
I will get the full formula posted as soon as I figure out how to express it using simple text!

Still want a bit more input from the masses though... Stay tuned

Right. Have attached the pressure formula. (Hope it works!)

Note: This is only MY interpretation of some of the factors that affect pressure whilst bowling. Have I missed anything?

Attachments

• Pressure.jpg
    Pressure.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 114
Honestly. I personally think it comes down to one thing...
How much this next shot MEANS to the bowler.
For example. For people Like George and Belmo a 5 bagger is nothing. They do it every time they go bowling. However, for a 10 year old junior, a 5 bagger is the next stage of heaven. It's something that they haven't done yet and that they really want to achieve. For them to step up and go for the 5 bagger is huge. Why? Because it MEANS so much to them.
Why do people stuff up so much going for their 300?? I had a 297 firts attempt. Thought too much and paid for it. But I thought too much because I felt the pressure. Because bowling a 300 with my family and coach there meant a fair bit to me.
Back to George and Belmo. These guys can throw strikes with their eyes shut. Tell them that this next shot with a strike and you have won the Australian Open and the the money to go with it and their eyes just might be open for that shot. I can't tell you how much pressure they felt going for their first tournament win or how much they feel now. But if it means anything to them, I'll guess that they feel a little more pressure then we realise.
The only thing with tournaments is that over 15 games matchplay, sometimes you've won the tournament by the 15th game, or you only ned 80 pins in your final game to get there. Which isn't quite has pressure filled then needeing 2 in the tenth.
But it any situation where you need a strike in the tenth. It all comes down too how much the bowler wants it, what it means to them. What their percieved value of the strike is. Bragging rights, league champions, Melbourne Cup Winner or World Champion, it comes down to what it means to you.

Later Da Cowman!

I think you have to revise the unit of measurement. For starters no unit of measurement should incorporate foul language. Leave the foul language when you hit the pocket and leave 7-10.

I agree with the cow on this one... the position in the tournament, number of strikes, event prestige and external influencec all depends on how badly the bowler wants it, and how badly they want it is a reflection of how much it means to them. Great examples Cow
R

Apologies for the language, I had that version for the team at Kooze Bowling to have a look at but posted the wrong version as the attachment. :rolleyes:

There is a reason for having the tourny position, event and external influences etc on the top line. Here goes......
Note: there are no ACTUAL values, theoretical only.
The top line is the factors affecting pressure that the bowler has no control over. (How bad it is WANTED can fit in there but I would add it to the bottom line) The bottom line is the factors that can be CONTROLLED by the bowler. So... If the number on the top line is larger than the bottom line the value for pressure will be high. Conversly, if the number on the bottom line is higher than the top line then the value for pressure is low. (Remember Fractions?)

In essence the more in control of the INTERNAL factors (bottom line) the bowler is the less pressure there is. With reference to the difference between George and a newbie the formula still applies. A newbie does not have enough focus, control, repeatability etc to execute 12 strikes in a row. Therfore the value on the bottom line is lower than say GF's due to the fact that GF has a larger SUM OF EXPERIENCE.

Like I said this is only my INTERPRETATION of the factors that influence pressure.
Thanks for your comments. And a special thanks to the team at Kooze Bowling for their continued support and inspiration.

Thank you Trouss, we just try to encourge people in bowling and try and help those who want the help. The aim for anything we do is to try and futher this great game in New Zealand. Goodluck Trouss and keep up the hard work and cant wait to see you at the next comp in Wellington, from all of us at Kooze Bowling, keep rolling

Back
Top Bottom