Pattern for Emerson Shield Poll

How do you feel about the pattern put down at Emerson?

• Total voters
This was my first Emerson & I totally enjoyed every moment of it.

I have to agree & disagree with alot that has been said here.

Firstly I can see the points of the people who only bowl one night a week because a majority of my team were in that catergory. But in saying that most of them bowled better than there average, so I dont think it mattered to them on the condition that was laid.

But my other point is which no one has mentioned, why is there an issue with the condition that was laid on the weekend, when the Zone final at Mildura had even lower scores bowled?
I do remember that alot was said about it being too hard at mildura & too easy at Bowl-a-rama.
Can centres ever win on what they lay down?

I personally enjoyed the challenge of the condition on the weekend & thought that there was a shot there, but whether you carried or not was a different story.

Jenny ;)

answer = NO

Lance ,
Nothing wrong with a long post , it made a lot of good points . The girls i managed found the hardest part to be the ones who slide on the approach had trouble sticking . Narelle was our only tourny bowler a couple others bowl Dunn Sheild and Vic 150 , keeping in mind Werribee is a very high scoring centre our league averages vary from Narelle's 200+ down to about 160 . Some of our girls had great scoring days and others had days they would say wasnt one of there better ones , they just clicked . We have had in the past what others would say was the best team on paper but that did not result in a win , who would of thought losing Cassie who is a great talent ment we still could win . But some of the line ups against us left me thinking christmas had come early. Women 3 times winners , men done it twice and a long list of allstars is a fair history , our women have Shepp as the benchmark , didnt beat them over the weekend head to head but the 2 of them are making the own history shepps record speaks for itself too....

good luck to every body next year

I was someone that struggled on the pattern but eventually when I decided to listen to advice found where the shot was. (Thanks Jen =D)
I think for sure it was tough, but fair and if you played in the correct area scoring wasn't that tough.

In the same sense I can see how it was hard for general league bowlers.
I don't know how this can be helped in the future because people aren't happy with a tough pattern that doesnt favour the general league bowlers, or we have the situation at bowl-a-rama where it was a carry fest for the higher average bowlers.

So its almost a no win situation?

Was my first time at emerson, and other than emerson try-outs my first tournament. I had a ball. Sure it was challenging, but that's why i bowl. We were all bowling on the same lanes with the same patterns.

I learnt areas where my game needs to improve .... but that's a good thing.

Congats to the teams from Werribee,and thank you to all of our Bowl-A-Rama team who although inexperienced gave their all.
I myself found the going tough challenging and fair, bowling to me is about accepting the challenge no matter how slick or dry, how fast or slow the appoachs are,it is up to us as bowlers to look, learn, listen and remember these times for future reference.
I was not at my scoring best but was not totally unhappy with what I did on the weekend either as i feel these tougher times should make us all better players in the future.

Thanks to the Staff at Epping a job well done!!

David C

MENS AVERAGES -- past 4 finals

Epping 2008 - 188.86
Geelong 2007 - 191.75
Werribee 2006 - 186.09
Mentone 2005 - 190.68

WOMENS AVERAGES -- past 4 finals

Epping 2008 - 172.22
Geelong 2007 - 173.20 (but only 172.11 if you take out Cassie's 230 ave)
Werribee 2006 - 174.68
Mentone 2005 - 174.66

COMBINED AVERAGES -- past 4 finals

Epping 2008 - 180.54
Geelong 2007 - 182.97
Werribee 2006 - 180.38
Mentone 2005 - 182.67

Statistically the averages are not much different over the past 4 years.

What about a stt of the averages for the first two games of each block, versus the last two games of each block???

How about that statistic broken down by each team - while your at it...

Then calculate, how many bowlers have double letters in their names...

hmmmm - what else...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

V

MENS AVERAGES -- past 4 finals

Epping 2008 - 188.86
Geelong 2007 - 191.75
Werribee 2006 - 186.09
Mentone 2005 - 190.68

WOMENS AVERAGES -- past 4 finals

Epping 2008 - 172.22
Geelong 2007 - 173.20 (but only 172.11 if you take out Cassie's 230 ave)
Werribee 2006 - 174.68
Mentone 2005 - 174.66

COMBINED AVERAGES -- past 4 finals

Epping 2008 - 180.54
Geelong 2007 - 182.97
Werribee 2006 - 180.38
Mentone 2005 - 182.67

Statistically the averages are not much different over the past 4 years.

WOW! The averages of the final were actually HIGHER than the final at Werribee in 2006.

That to me confirms quite a few things, and completely ENDS the debate, expecially given where the majority of the complaints were comming from.

Thanks to all the bowlers that participated in the 2008 Emerson Shield event. I hope next year the trend continues with the combined averages.

WOW! The averages of the final were actually HIGHER than the final at Werribee in 2006.

That to me confirms quite a few things, and completely ENDS the debate, expecially given where the majority of the complaints were comming from.

Thanks to all the bowlers that participated in the 2008 Emerson Shield event. I hope next year the trend continues with the combined averages.

They werent complaints, they were ppls opinions

Why would you take out Cassies ave , i would take out top 10 and bottom 10 averages . Diferent bowlers at each final will give different results . If the same teams with the same line ups bowled each year then it would stand up.
The the real fact is Werribee had a clean sweep , not bad considering they were given no chance as stated in previous posts. Werribee women 3 times champs on par with Shepp , who will be first to 5.

Christian

Do you want a medal?

Sure, I'll trade one for a box of tissues. Share them with your team mates :D

051+Firemens+Booya+1986.jpg

I guess tissues will do , dont look like getting a sorry i dont know what im talking about but i will shoot my mouth off anyway...

What about a stt of the averages for the first two games of each block, versus the last two games of each block???

How about that statistic broken down by each team - while your at it...

Then calculate, how many bowlers have double letters in their names...

hmmmm - what else...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

V

I'll leave that for you to do Vaughnn.

Sorry if my being statistically minded upsets you Vaughnn. I was asked a question by Tonx about difference between averages in Geelong and Epping and i expanded it to the past four years. They are only numbers mate lighten up.

As for Christian's comment re - why leave out Cassies average - fair enough - a list of averages should not exclude any averages high or low. I'm happy to cop that one.

ha ha.....

Would like to see the averages of first two games of block vs last two.

Your statistics, are great as usual......

Don't you just love statistics...

Another thing to consider when comparing past years averages, is the strength of the teams in the finals.

Due to the change in zones, I think that we have had stronger teams in the finals this year...

Using the Werribee vs Epping results and comparing the sames teams that competed in both finals (i.e. comparing apples with apples), Eppings averages were actually lower than Werribee:

Werribee 2006
Men ave:.........191.19
Women ave:.....174.28
Combined ave:..182.17

Epping 2008
Men ave:.........189.14
Women ave:.....173.33
Combined ave:..180.71

Having said that, there's only a couple of pins in it...

Don't think this poll has achieved any positive outcome from these comments.
The days feedback wasn't totally positive and opinions were very mixed on the day as is here.
The only thing that is important is that Emerson maintains the magic it has always
attracted and those that have been there from day one know exactly what I am talking about.
Yeah it would be great to have Emerson as the states premier event with its best bowlers bowling on
the most challenging sports conditions.
But those that have been involved from day one will tell you that is just what it always has been.
Emerson is the Event of the Year!!!
Congratulations to all Teams involved and lets look forward to 2009.

Special mention to Team Werribee and thanks for bringing the Shields home!!!

P.S. Team Werribee need to bring tissues to the bowl cos we need to keep the Shields clean.

Love from Dozza xoxo

Back
Top Bottom