Pattern for Emerson Shield Poll

How do you feel about the pattern put down at Emerson?

• Total voters

tonx

Hearing a little bit of feedback about the condition ran at Epping for the final. Need some honest talk about it.

The pattern was quite heavy, but no where near as flooded as a few of the patterns the VSS bowl on.

Do you feel as though the pattern was fair, unfair, too difficult or not difficult enough?

Vote and comment as you see fit.

it was good to be challenged and definetly should not have been made easy, but prob not the right thing to lay for an event such as emerson.
cos of the high concentration needed it took the atmosphere of the event away.
just my opinion

I agree with Matt
90% of the people who bowled couldn't care less about what the VSS bowl on, they just bowl league once a week. In my eyes the pattern was too hard for the event and people were too occupied trying to figure out why they were averaging 20 pins below what they do at home rather than stuffing around and having a good time.
Honestly, the atmosphere was lacking on the weekend and I'm sorry to say that I believe the pattern had something to do with it.

The best team won and the best bowlers bowled well. What more can you ask for. Those who struggled on the condition should work harder on their games so that someday they too might have a game which can adapt to different conditions.

I think the pattern was nailed. The top averages were a complete mixture of different styles of bowlers, the best team won, there was quite a few games where the front 7-8-9 were thrown. A 220 game was mostly good enough to win, and 12 good shots put you into the 240-260 mark.

Go back 5 years ago, and this would have been regarded as a medium-high scoring event. If you played the correct part of the lane, there was at least 5 boards available at the breakpoint. If you couldn't move your feet, all you needed to do was be somewhat accurate. I would be very surprised if at Geelong last year, the averages were much more than 5 pins higher per game.

Rediculously stupid ditched centres are turning once good bowlers into pussies. 220 SHOULD be the top average, not 250.

I don’t believe that a sports condition should be laid for Emerson shield.
It was a tuff condition and made you think, but there are bowlers that have never, and most likely will never bowl on this type of condition.
It is the first Emerson shield I have been involved in (7 years), and it was the quietest i have every seen it. There was just no atmosphere. I do believe that this was due to the tuff condition.
There were also a couple of average bowlers that struggled on the condition, and purchase a new ball from epping proshop, just so they could do something on the lanes and not let there team down. (this is a good way of getting a ball sale)..

I would also like to say that, i heard some suggestions being made by bowlers that have only been apart of Emerson for their 2nd year, about the format. I think that format should stay the same, but maybe only take top 4 teams from each zone, instead of the current 5, this will allow all the country bowlers to get home earlier. We could bowl 8 on the Saturday and 6 on the Sunday, be finished by around 3pm.

I think that the sport condition should be used for what it was DESIGNED FOR…

Just my opinion…

But Winners are Grinners….

P.S – The bowlers/ lane maintenance Staff that have the EGO for a sports condition should use it at the sports condition tourney. That’s what they were invented for… WASN’T IT…….

I don’t believe that a sports condition should be laid for Emerson shield.
It was a tuff condition and made you think, but there are bowlers that have never, and most likely will never THINK

I think that the sport condition should be used for what it was DESIGNED FOR…

FIXED

so this means you don't belive the Emerson was a sports contest? was is just social bowling you were looking for?

It was not a sports pattern that was put down. It was 3-1 heads and mids, and 4-1 downlane. It was much easier than a 2-1 sports pattern. I believe there was only 1 ball sold all weekend from the tournament, which was your own. I also believe that I was in that proshop when you were getting that ball done, and I helped with the layout too?

I spent close to 2 hours of my time on the weekend helping other teams handle the 41ft pattern by giving them a fresh surface on their gear, and didn't even have time to do my own.

Thanks for your accusations.

There were also a couple of average bowlers that struggled on the condition, and purchase a new ball from epping proshop, just so they could do something on the lanes and not let there team down. (this is a good way of getting a ball sale)..

LISA.....You didn't just accuse the guys of setting the condition in order to make ball sales did you? OH YES, you DID!
shame on you....

BTW...I believe the only ball sale that was finalised was the one you purchased.

so this means you don't belive the Emerson was a sports contest? was is just social bowling you were looking for?

I NEVER SAID EMERSON WASNT A SPORT CONTEST....

Tonx,

I didnt buy a new ball on saturday... So you might want to get the correct person first..

You know.. You asked for comments and you got mine..

So there you go......

I agree with Matt
90% of the people who bowled couldn't care less about what the VSS bowl on, they just bowl league once a week. In my eyes the pattern was too hard for the event and people were too occupied trying to figure out why they were averaging 20 pins below what they do at home rather than stuffing around and having a good time.
Honestly, the atmosphere was lacking on the weekend and I'm sorry to say that I believe the pattern had something to do with it.

Agree with Porto 100%

the condition was tough. But not impossible. As many people proved. This being my first emerson, i was impressed. Was a great event.
By the way Tonx. Will be coming to get 2 new balls soon.

i must be in the minority here, as i averaged 5 pins higher than current league average so the pattern can't have been that bad, the only other handicap i have is being left handed but you adapt to the conditions with the equipment you have... thats the joy of bowling tournaments

Condition was tough but fair.

If anything if played straight into our hands as it showed Emerson the depth our team had this year.

I found it quite enjoyable, and it was nice to engage the brain as opposed to hoping to carry. Sure it may not have been easy, but scores could be shot if you remained consistent (for me it was with ball speed more then anything).

If you look at the all star team, mid 200's for the men and mid-low 190's for the women prove that it wasn't unplayable. Is it correct for Emerson? Well the best team with the best depth won so I'd suggest yes. The result would've been totally different on a ditch.

Hoping to see everyone at Epping next Saturday (especially Tothie!).

I'll probably get shot down on this one - but i would like an intelligent answer.
I averaged about what i expected and i am not complaining about the conditions - i am just asking the question based on stats.

In the men there were 13 lefties --- average 182.17 (take out Porto and the average was 177)
There were 57 righties -- average 190.17
4 of the bottom 5 men's averages were lefties

That would suggest the left was harder .... yeah yeah i know --- first time for everything :p.

Is it as simple as lefties don't need to work on their game as much as righties because they get easier conditions and when struck with a tough pattern had no answers? Or is there more to it than that. Obviously the other side of the coin is that Porto was high average, but Porto could get a glass bowling ball to hook on ice so he is an exception.

To my eyes it seemed that the very good bowlers found a line and eventually shot decent numbers – regardless of whether they were left or right handed.

The difference I noticed was the righties who could not bowl on the fresh oil eventually got a bit of a shot later in the block as the lanes broke down, the lefties who could not find a shot on fresh oil had little or no break down and therefore had no shot. (probably no pattern is ever fair to everyone – but I am interested in what answers I get)

I believe there was only 1 ball sold all weekend from the tournament, which was your own. I also believe that I was in that proshop when you were getting that ball done, and I helped with the layout too?

Tonx

The ball that was sold over the weekend was mine. Andrew drilled my ball for me and he was the one who did the layout for me. Yes you were in there at the time and did mention to Andrew that it was a good layout. BUT I would not have brought a new ball on the weekend if I didnt need it, this was done to try to improve my scoring for my TEAM. Yes I struggled on the weekend as I couldn't get any of my gear to move at all.
That is the reason I brought the ball.

As for the amount of people changing the surface on there balls just so they could score. I have never seen so many balls come in to the pro shop with people asking for them to be sanded back. This should not happen at an event like Emerson.

Some of the bowlers that bowl Emerson only bowl League, they dont go to Tournament after Tournament, so a condition should have been laid to reflect that. So what if the great league bowlers average a bit more than they do at league. I think this would encourage the average league bowlers to come back and try again next year.

The atmosphere was the quietest I have seen it in the 4years I have been apart of it. This was very disappointing as the atmosphere is what brings me back to bowl this wonderful event.

Yes again the best teams won on the weekend as they had the depth that was needed and of course my brand new VENOM which is now called the $300solution.

Well done to all bowlers over the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom