OPEN LETTER TO HTBA

androooo

hmmmmm......
Staff member
To whom it may concern,

Being one of the bowlers due to bowl in the HTBA Bowler of the Year on the 20th of March 2005, I am wondering if you could shed some light on the postponement of the tournament.

Due to technical matters which were out of the hands of all (tournament officials and staff at AMF Moonah) in which a malfunctioning power conditioner caused the loss of the computerised scoring before the tournament started. My concerns come about due to the fact as to why the bowlers were not given a chance to vote on the decision that was made.

If you had asked the bowlers, I think you would have found that the MAJORITY of bowlers would have been happy to have manual scoring put in place, as the machinery and lanes were otherwise functioning normally. Many bowlers would have been happy to score on their own pair for other competitors that did not know how to score. There were even spectators willing to act as scorers for the tournament. Can you please explain your logic as to why the bowlers were not asked if this was ok.

In my eyes, with the decision that was made, was made without ANY lateral thinking. It seemed to me that the HTBA were afraid of any extra work that may have been created, when if they looked at that solution, they would have found they would have been doing the EXACT same amount of work, which was entering scores into a laptop computer which was functioning perfectly.

As a person that was involved in bowling more than 20 years ago, I can remember this tournament, and many others, that ran flawlessly without computer scoring. Think of all the years this tournament was run before 1985, where there was no computer scoring, computers for standing sheets and the like. How hard is it to run up a little score sheet on Excel or another spreadsheet program for bowlers to write in their scores?

As I asked before, what was the logic in making a decision like what was made, when there were other solutions available, and the biggest question of all, why were the bowlers NOT ASKED before making your decision.

Yours in bowling

Andrew Phillips

We await your explanation.

my only reply to this is, I was\nt to express my heart felt congratulations to the amf staff, honestly thanks because you all did so much to accomadate us given with what you had to work with

Yes, this is all quite extraordinary really.
If the malfunction had of happened 2-3 hours earlier, we could have lost the centre to fire.

I still say we would NOT be able to hold a major tournament in this centre, from what I've seen since I came back.
The staff have done a marvellous job, but they can't perform miracles.

As to what you said Androo, I am in full agreement with you.
Lets just leave it at that. I will be asking a few questions of my own.

i think androo has a good point.

people dont remember places for when they just perform their jobs.

its when they make the EXTRA effort that catches peoples eyes. maybe thats why we still dont get the numbers into bowling as we should have.

just a thought.

its the way of the future

loco

I agree totally with Androoo, considering bowlers are paying good money to bowl they should have a say as well not just the committee members.
Just a question though, what would the decision be if this happened in a state team roll off when bowlers travel from around the state.

They could have even held it later in the afternoon say 4pm, instead of now waiting probably six months. The problem would have been fixed by then. The fault was fixed apartently around 12.30pm. Well that is just a thought.

A 300 game and now 300 posts,two 300,s for you now bro,as too the bowler of the year debarcle,we could have manually scored,we used 2 do it before and we could of done it again,anyone that failed maths at school could have been alocated a scorer,thanks for the game of cards ted,and thanks 2 the committee for thier dicision postpone the tournament 2 another year,it gave me a chance too do what i dont normally do,go 2 the pub and play 8ball,by the end of the night i couldnt even remember what happened earlier,i won a calcutter i think,its all good,we will get 2 bowl it one day :( :(

I personally would like to thank Paul Oakley for taking the time to explain to me why the decision was made. Paul didn't call me, he came and talked to me face to face, which is something I fully and totally respect.

I am glad that someone on the committee could find the time to contact me on my concerns and give me answers, not only promptly, but personally. Lets face it, it's not hard to contact me.

Thank you Paul.

Wayne:

I would prefer to wait till a spokesperson from the HTBA gives their official statement.

That way I can't be accused of "creative typing". I think a lot of people would like to hear it from the horses mouth.

Back
Top Bottom