NT Championships

Scotty R

south paw
Hi all

Just venting my frustration with a late change in venue for the NT championships from our quality centre in Alice Springs with synthetic lanes and everything in top condition to Darwin with lanes that are over 50 years old and equipment that breaks down constantly and destroys any bowling balls that touch those shoddy lanes. As the defending champ I was looking forward to defending the title but with the late notice of the change in venue and our first child on the way (due in July) it makes it hard to come up with around $2200 to travel (not to mention the headache of leaving my pregnant wife behindor risk her travelling so close to the due date). Just looking for some opinions as this now also means the NT has lost a Rachuig bowler and we all know pickings are slim in this state as it is.

Cheers

Try putting in for an exemption for rachuig roll offs. Venting on a public forum probably isn't the best move if you are looking to get that exemption though

It's not so much about trying to make the team as it is the issue with financial support and the inconvenience of the late move to darwin is costly for anyone in a similar position as me. Everytime the NT's are scheduled to be in ASP they look for an excuse to take it away from the centre. I honestly can't be bothered with an exemption as I'm pretty confident I'd be picked for the side and I'm not saying that cause I have a big head lol just there isn't much competition for spots in the NT and the thing I looked forward to the most which was defending my title for the first time is now looking unlikely. Not mentioning any names certain members of the NTTBA are killing bowling in our state because of these decisions and the excuses (apparently our centre didn't agree to the terms they asked for regarding time for Darwin bowlers to complete their events which is completely false). So I'm not concerned about how they feel about me getting this out in the open as I'm one of the ones who won't be keeping quite about it anymore. Cheers Dishman for the feedback though appreciate it.

Fair enough. Good luck with the family....its definately a life changing experience!
At the end of the day, life is about choices and what to do with your time and money. Most people are generally "poor" with one of these two things. As much as I loved bowling Rachuig, I made the decision to spend my time with the family and have a proper holiday with them rather than spend a week with the "boyz". I usually have this itch during championship time, but I'm conent with the decision. I do want to start getting back into competeitive bowling but I just don't have the time to practice especially with this two handed stuff. I may go for a couple tournamnets this year just to get the experience again and have a weekend away with some old friends. The advantage of this is it doesn't eat into my work time.

Either way, enjoy the upcoming life challenge........I reckon in a years time you'll won't even remember missing the your championships
Dinesh

Yeah it's looking like I will be missing out on it but family always comes first.
It's just sad that this happens to us here because it puts the bowlers off wanting to be involved with things like Rachuig when we have to go up there and bowl on the shoody lanes in Darwin then are expected to go up there twice more before the nationals for training camps. For me personally I'd rather focus on ranking events but I miss being part of the state team. Hopefully things will improve in the future but for now I guess us NT folks just have to deal with it

Scott, the championships were in Alice Springs last year. The State committee has found billetts for the visiting bowlers from Alice Springs and the airfares are nowhere near what you have quoted unless you are flying business class both ways. You obviously have not read the Rachuig nomination form because it clearly states the team is picked on tournament performances both in Alice Springs, Darwin and in Ranked events interstate and overseas. There are no state camps in Darwin that you have to attend we in fact offered 5 for you to pick 2 to attend - 1 in Alice Springs, 2 in Darwin, NSW Open, or Singapore International combining tournaments with camps. When the championships was discussed at committee level even the Alice Springs committee members stated that more people would be coming down from Darwin to compete than people who would bowl in Alice Springs. The centre in Darwin always opens for us at 8am and we have run of the lanes until end of play on Championship weekend which makes it very easy to get more league bowlers to compete thus boosting participation and prizefunds. Participation numbers is hugely important for the continuance of government funding at the same level that we get at this time. Perhaps get all the information on Championships and Rachuig before commenting.

Having been involved in the sport of Tenpin in "The Alice" for 14 years, I know how you feel Scott trust me !!!!!.
However I note June's comments regarding access to lanes from early morning to late evening for the entire duration of the Tournament.
The last Masters Games we also experienced the same problem of lane availability resulting in a considerable drop in daily entries due to league and social bowling commitments.
How the Centre is run is no longer my problem, however I make the comment - business logic would suggest that one would/should bend over backwards to accommodate EXTRA bowlers wishing to SPEND MONEY in your Centre,be it 6am or Midnight - WHY LOCK OUT PAYING CUSTOMERS ???? put the league bowlers off for a week and use the old business principle of marketing the event to your league bowlers to further increase your turnover ( Lineage, food,drinks,merchandise) MAKE THEM BOWLING HUNGRY They will still bowl their league season but finish one week later than planned, that surely is extra dollars in the bank. They might even bowl in some of your tournaments (more dollars) after seeing "out of town" bowlers once they realize that they as good as these out of town "hot shots".
Hope in the interest of NT bowling that you can resolve the problem .
My thoughts only
Keith Jakeway

First thing's first the airfare is only that cheap from Darwin try putting in a return ticket from Alice Springs and you'll find it's very different and this is because there are no other rival airlines to challenge qantas. This is the biggest issue facing any bowlers travelling anywhere from Alice. Then add costs for the event, food and accomodation and you'll find it's very close to the price I said. Secondly I understand the importance of level of participation but the late change means I cannot afford it and I know of at least 2 others in the same situation because of it. If the change was made alot sooner thos of us in financially tight spots would have had time to plan it out but now it's not possible. Anyone from Darwin can argue that it's a tradition having the championships in Alice one year and Darwin the next but if that was always the plan why wasn't this decided sooner? Everyone has known the bowl wouldn't be closing since the end of last year so why was it left so late to change the venue? The fact is things have never really been fair for Alice Springs bowlers wanting to compete in rachuig past competitors warned me again and again about it but I wanted to bowl in rachuig and it wasn't until I did that I saw what they meant and it has put me off it especially now with extra priorities. I would've made more of a commitment to the state team and made a bigger effort but now I just don't feel like it's worth it (I'm still waiting on receiving any of the money raised for the team from 2010). Anyway I've made my decision now as much as I hate that I will miss out at least now I know where my priorities lie with bowling and my family life.

Scott airfares quoted are Return from Alice Springs on Qantas, we have offered billet accommodation, so it is food and entries money that is needed. The NTTBA had their first meeting on this subject a couple of weeks ago when everyone was back from holidays. If you have issues with fundraising in Alice Springs you need to talk to the committee members there who were doing the fundraising at the time.

I'm sorry but if the billet is a re-imbursement which is what I heard it doesn't really help anyone in my situation because we still have to come up with the money prior which is mostly what my point is about. It's too late for me and maybe a couple of others who have other issues or priorities that have to come first. Most will appreciate the billet and I would to but like I said there are a number of reasons that put me off it and the main one being that I cannot afford to travel to Darwin. I just hope things can be a little better planned in the future to avoid things like this happening.

Having been a bowler at A/S since the day of conception, I find it sad that I have had to find out on this link that the last lot of minutes I received from the association that stated that the championships would be held in A/S this year along with last year as Darwin were hoping to aline there turn with Arafura. I have worked hard over the past 12 months to recruit bowlers for Holt 2012, and although we do not fall into the 'alite' we too are very important and one day may reach that level [some anyway]. On the knowledge that I had and believed to be true I have recruited 11 bowlers to roll off this year in A/S, passing on the knowledge that requirements were to have bowled in either or city or state champs. These bowlers are very keen and are prospective future bowlers to be watched, however they will not be able to meet these requirements at such short notice and city champs are after we return. I know people do not regard restricted bowlers as important, but hey, we were all there once and it was only opotunities that got the big boys where they are today.
I may be wrong but who voted? I thought all TBA registered bowlers had voting rights!!!!!

I did hear from a source that there was a vote but virtually none of the members here in ASP new anything about it. If it was only the committee voting well the committee are all Darwin based. Just saying.

Scott, once again you do not have information that is correct. There are 3 Alice Springs delegates on the committee and if you feel that they are not looking after the bowlers in Alice Springs interests, then put yourself forward and spend the time that they do on all matters pertaining to tenpin bowling in the Northern Territory and all bowlers who are TBA members in the Northern Territory. Perhaps bring your concerns to the ASTBA meetings and you can get some clarification on your local concerns as well.

Why dont you both talk to each other on the phone instead of venting your personal differences on here.
It would be a lot easier to TALK to each other.

Well maybe I will put myself forward as then maybe meetings in th ASTBA will actually happen. But that is not my concern I've explained my concerns based on info I've recieved and at least one of those recources is very reliable. Aussie I was actually looking for opinions on the event changes wasn't really planning on getting into any arguments but it just happened.

Back
Top Bottom