Noob needs help !

I

Ice_Magik

Hey all
Great site you've got here !!
I've recently joined a thursday night league, and im abit up in the air when it comes to technicality...
last night was my 2nd night in the league.

first week i score 108 and 118, last night, 135 and 176 !
at the moment im a straight bowler, as in i only bowl straight....
im not too keen yet to get right into the spin side of things, but i can do it, only just though....

now the question.....what sort of ball should i be looking at ?
i dont want to pay stupid amounts of money, as im a just getting into the game, but after something that i can bowl straight with, and maybe later on get abit of spin out of it..
is that possible ?
the first 2 games, i was using a 14lb ball, but the last 2, i have become very comfortable with a 10lb and i beleive this is the correct weight i should be using, as i had a bit of a test bowl before we started last nights games, and the 14 just felt way to heavy. strange considering im quite strong haha :)
does that sound about right ? or does 10lb sound to light ?

look forward to your thaughts, and sorry for the gigantic thread !
Cheers
Nathan

hey,

if you are a straight bowler you could get a plastic ball..plastics will not hook...and they are quite cheap. And drill it conventionally.

Although if you wanted to look for something a little more advanced you could get a reactive ball which does hook. These balls are drilled figer tip..

You could start using a plastic and then move into reactive bowling balls.

by reactive ball, do you mean, a ball with something in the middle of it ?
like those weird shapes when u see inside a ball ?
i presume those r weights..

so theres no point in myself buying a reactive ball if i keep bowling straight for a while, till i get the hang of things, then moving into spin ?

thanks for the quik reply !

nathan

Gday,

Firstly, thanks for interest in the sport, hope to see you still around for years to come!!

When buying your first ball, please take into consideration that this ball will fit YOUR hand. It will feel MUCH lighter than a house ball. Ask your local pro shop operator what weight they recommend, there are a few little tests that they can do.

plastic (polyester) is the cheapest option, but it may be worth skipping that stage, and going straight to a entry level reactive ball. Reactive means that the cover of the ball is made up of resins that grip the lane more, and allow it to 'react' to the oil/conditioner. For the extra few dollars, having a ball that will last you through the learning stage is probably worth it.

Even though you bowl straight now, you will (more than likely) eventually move into a hooking delivery to help increase scores, and getting an entry level reactive will allow you to learn it more effectively. A conventional drill is fine, there is no need for a fingertip drilling yet.

In regards to your question about 'weights' in the ball, they allow a different hook motion and roll, dont worry too much about it at this stage, its only a real concern when you start buying multiple balls, and can throw a hooking delivery.

Any furthur questions, dont hesitate to ask!

Cheers!

Know i'm no expert but i was just wondering how old you are..?? Because usually once you have reached 10-12yrs old you don't use 10lb balls anymore cause even though they feel great they're just too light. But hey i could be wrong so yeh..listern to the experts.

Catchas round Chris

PoSsUm said:
Know i'm no expert but i was just wondering how old you are..?? Because usually once you have reached 10-12yrs old you don't use 10lb balls anymore cause even though they feel great they're just too light. But hey i could be wrong so yeh..listern to the experts.
Catchas round Chris

That's what i have been thinking about as well chris... the only logical reason i could think of is MAYBE he's a helicopter bowler... who uses a light ball and uses deflection of the pins to get the pin action at the pin deck.... tell me if u think that may be logical...
R

went to the lanes again last night, decided to only use a 14lb ball.

oohh it was sweet, getting some nice spin, or hook or what ever its called on the ball, first time using my new method for a whole game got me a 135, which is about right for me !

goodbye straight bowling !

oh yer, im 23 for those wondering :D

Met up with Tonx last night.

Ended up with a 14lb Visionary Green Blue Centaur, drilled to fit.

will post up and let ya's know how it rolls after a few games 2nite !

cheers
Nath

Thanks to Andrew for taking his time with me last night, explaining things, and drilling the ball !

Back
Top Bottom