Feel like Im going to really embarrass myself

K

Khysanth

Hey everyone,

I only just find this website after 4 years of bowling. I have a question to ask, cause I just put my name down to play in a competition at Chadstone for this Sunday and its my first 'scratch' tournament and lately my games are really going down hill. This is my first year using a finger tip grip ball and its a super power pearl, 15lbs. It took me a while to get used to it, but since I have I have converted my average from 160 to now 174. Now you might say this is great, and well done, however at the very start of the season for almost 4 months I was averaging low 190's.

I was reading some of the other threads about concentration and stuff, and took notes but my mental game seems to be ok majority of the time. Of course I do have my bad nights etc, and good nights too. However, lately I have noticed a big trend that my Super Power Pearl is not hooking as well as it did in the first game of the night or practice. Now I am only a small guy, being 5'6", weighing approx. 65-70kg. I also use one of those wrist guards to keep my wrist straight, to keep behind the ball and make sure I have forward roll with a 45degree hook roll. The lanes are generally rolled over by the centre machines prior to our nights league games, so they are well oiled (exactly what a SPP is good for). The SPP, for those who haven't used, has a nice slide, grab and roll into the deep corner end and a sharp back end bite into the headpin.

I generally hit my mark between the last and second last arrow (right-handed starting slightly right of center) but as I said earlier, the ball is just not hooking the later in the night I get. It is just sliding and rolling with litle want to return to the center. Where am I going wrong with the hook though? Why is it loosing its hook the later the night gets? Is it tiredness or is the lane oil been pushed down the back end creating a block on my ball? Or the ball itself getting 'oil-logged' if this is possible (note here ive tried whiping every shot, or leaving all night to no difference)? Any suggestions to help me get my game back on track please?

Carrydown can be quite a problem, especially if there has been quite a bit of open play. In your case, however, that might not be the problem. What could be happening is the oil near the foul line is being dissipated, causing your ball to hook early in the midlane. This causes the ball to "roll out" giving the impression that it is simply not recovering. The opposite is the case, the ball is too strong for that particular condition. If the later games are the problem, several things can be done. 1. Switch to a less-aggressive ball like a pearl reactive, or maybe just a ball with a weaker core. 2. Move further inside to keep your ball in the oil. Most wood houses develop a "track" where the majority of the bowlers play. This area often dries out faster than the rest of the lane, exacerbating the problem described above. By moving left, keeping your ball in the oil, it will conserve more of its energy for the backend. Or, 3. Adjust your release to create less hook. Don't turn the ball as much. This might also help you later, in times when you face heavier oil. In tough conditions, the adage "Straighter is greater" often holds true. Besides, it will also make you a bit more versatile, which can also improve your average.

hay man
i would worry about how ur bowling because i am doing the same as u. what i done was to find a good coach and watch u to find out what u r doing wrong, after that he or she can help u in all possable ways they can
u will get back in line. the first tourie is great because u met great ppl as well have fun its the best thing to u if u r in a slump alright

l8er ecca

Back
Top Bottom