New idea..360 perfect game...

Do you like this idea?

• Total voters
the guy that suggested the lowering of flat gutters, which is a major structual change to your lanes.

every lane and approach would have to be jacked up to make this possible.

living proof that sometimes its easier to say things, rather than do them

RE: the 360 game!! Making our great game 14 frames would be akin to adding a couple of extra points to every tennis game in the hope that Roger Federer would get tired and lose a bit more often. Problem is he is probably the only one who would benefit. The only bowlers likely to score 42 strikes in a row is someone who has the ability to bowl 36 in a row. All this would do is make the best better and the rest give up! Real good for the sport!

If this is approvet does it mean that those that already bowled 300 needs to bowl 2 more frames, to make it a perfect game??? :p

keep it to 12 strikes its not like theres a 300 every night in the same centre or any other centre and yes new gear does make it a little easier but dont change it not worth it getting 300 is hard now why go 14 not a good idea keep it the way it is

craig said:
the guy that suggested the lowering of flat gutters, which is a major structual change to your lanes.
every lane and approach would have to be jacked up to make this possible.
living proof that sometimes its easier to say things, rather than do them

Craig, you make some good points in your earlier post concerning the consequences of the suggestions thus far.

Though I will have to disagree with you..........lowering of the gutters is no big deal and does not require any major structual changes unless the gutters are being lowered by at least a couple of inches, and I still can't see any great exspense in achieving this dimension unless you are on a stringer base in a very old establishment and the stringers have not enough material left in them to remove before you hit concrete.

Lowering the flat gutters is a simple job, remove the screws which fix the gutter to the trusses, remove the gutter, chisel off the required amount of timber from the lane trusses and refit the gutter, job finished.

On a side note and way off topic...........................

The lane bed and gutters lay across and are mounted on the foundation trusses, whether it be a stringer or crib foundation base design, stringer foundations are no longer very popular due to the added exspense of channelling the concrete slab, the majority of new centres sit on a crib foundations, however there are quite a few exsisting centres sitting on stringer type foundations.

The flat gutter according to the specifications should have a minium depth of 3 1/2" and a maxium depth of 3 3/4", measured from the playing surface of the lane to the top of flat gutter surface and in line with the back row of pin dots.

When the lanes are first installed, the installer will ensure that this specification is met, however over the life span of a timber lane it will go through sevaral resurfacers, during the resurface the timber is sanded away until the resurfacer is happy with both the visual look of the lane and also that the lane is within specifications concerning cross wise tilt and depression.

Whilist every effort is made to remove as little material from the lane as possible during this process, thus prolonging the life of the lane it is enevitable that the lane will decrease in thickness, meaning the flat gutter dimension will, with every sanding gradually decrease uintill it gets to a dimension outside the specifications, at this stage the flat gutters have to be lowered to bring them back into specified dimensions.
High scoring houses will, with intention use the minium depth (3 1/2")dimension allowed by the specifications, which increases pin action giving any pin that is knocked into the flat gutter a better of chance of jumping back out and knocking over other pins, usally the back corner pin(s)

Shawn

Macka69 said:
It's definately hard enough to bowl a 300 but if they want to make it harder why not tell bowlers that they have to only use one ball for the whole three games instead of having spare balls.

Why not just make everyone bowl with their spare balls? Take away the expensive bowling balls and you save money on gear, make high scoring conditions more equitable (tighten the scoring gap between the haves and the have nots in league play, meaning more folks would come back each year) and don't need to change the pins/gutters etc.

By the way, USBC tried making pins more "bottom heavy" by changing the location of the voids and it just penalised lower average players about 12 pins a game extra, widening the gap. It's been abandoned as a strategy. I suspect lowering flat gutters would do the same.

We all know it's the balls causing the trouble. Hell, Kegel oiling machines would never have had to be developed to dump the floods they do without the ball problem.

Cheers,
Jason

It may be the balls, but there are always other solutions to the problem. Namely - change the lane conditions!

On the topic of balls... I have a Hammer Viscious Particle which hooks less than my plastic (it's actually in my avatar picture over there <-- that's when it hooked!). True story. I can throw the viscious two handed at the 10pin, and it goes dead straight. I have never ever been able to do that with my plastic, it hooks too much.

Which is strange, because the visious was a hook monster before, and in fact the last time i ever used it before 2 weeks ago, was in August 2005 at the youth team rolloffs, and I put it away because it hooked waaaay too much.. I haven't touched the surface, haven't redrilled it, nothing... it literally sat in the cupboard for 8 months or so after being cleaned.

It like literally lost its hook by sitting in the cupboard, in a cool environment.. Go figure. Maybe you could give a reason why Mr Buckley?

Anyway I'm getting off topic.

The solution is lane conditions!

jason_doust said:
Why not just make everyone bowl with their spare balls?

A bloke on a 168 average threw a 257 at me tonight using his one and only ball - a 20 year old Ebonite plastic. Straight and hard down the guts - headpins, anywhere, they kept going down including 7 in a row. His 2nd highest score ever and good on him!!

I say leave everything alone and especially 10 frames.

Feral

Back
Top Bottom