Carol G is perfect

J

janm

RESULTS: ALL ATHLETES HAVE COMPLETED 26 GAMES

DEFENDING CHAMPION GIANOTTI-BLOCK IS PERFECT AT CLABBER GIRL OPEN

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. – Defending champion Carol Gianotti-Block closed the first round of match play at the $60,000 Clabber Girl Greater Terre Haute Open with a perfect game to surge into the lead Tuesday night at Terre Haute Bowling Center.
Gianotti-Block polished off her preceding game of 250 with seven strikes before stringing 12 more on lanes 9 and 10 for the 18th 300 game of her career. Her eight-game block of 1,836 pins--which included games of 255, 246 and 247 in addition to 250 and 300--moved her past Kelly Kulick, Union, N.J., by 83 pins. The Australian star and 1998 PWBA Player of the Year has a total pinfall of 5,754 after 26 games, with a 6-2-0 match play record. Kulick’s 5-3-0 match play record brought her total pinfall to 5,671.
“I had nice ball reaction tonight, especially on the pair where I rolled the 300 game,” Gianotti-Block said. “I was way inside, around board 20, playing down and in because the lanes started hooking very early tonight. It’s an area where I’m really comfortable, and it felt great to be able to get up for the 12th ball in the last game and throw a good shot.
“I’ve bowled really well the last five or six weeks, and last week I just missed making the cut. After qualifying [fifth] in the morning squad, I just felt a lot looser coming into the evening’s action.”
Daly City, Calif.’s Kim Terrell is in third place with a 7-1-0 match play record and 5,595 pins, while another Australian, Cara Honeychurch, is in fourth with a 5-3-0 record and 5,582 pins. Early leader Anne Marie Duggan, Edmond, Okla., holds fifth position with 5,548 total pins after struggling to a 2-6-0 match play record.
Brenda Norman of Indianapolis, the only area bowler to make the cut to the top 24, is in 22nd position with 5,217 pins and a 3-5-0 match play record.
Match play continues Wednesday with squads at 11 a.m. and 6:30 p.m., after which the field is cut to the top five. Those bowlers square off for the tournament’s $10,000 first prize Thursday, beginning at 7 p.m. The championship round action can be seen as it occurs on the PWBA’s web page via the Webscorer feature (click on “Live Scoring&#8221
icon_wink.gif
. Travelodge Hotels is offering a $50,000 bonus to any player rolling a 300 game in the TV finals.

PROFESSIONAL WOMEN'S BOWLING ASSOCIATION

RESULTS: ALL ATHLETES HAVE COMPLETED 34 GAMES

AUSSIES RULE AFTER 34 GAMES AT $60,000 CLABBER GIRL GR. TERRE HAUTE OPEN

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. – Australian stars Carol Gianotti-Block and Cara Honeychurch are 1-2 after 34 games following Wednesday morning’s action at the $60,000 Clabber Girl Greater Terre Haute Open at Terre Haute Bowling Center.

Gianotti-Block, who grabbed the lead Tuesday night after rolling a 300 game, posted a 1,737-pin set for Wednesday morning’s eight games of match play to roll to a 103-pin lead over Honeychurch, who won seven of eight matches and turned in a 1,776 series. The defending champion currently owns an 11-3-2 match play record with 7,671 total pins, while Honeychurch has a 12-4-0 record and 7,568 pins. Gianotti-Block is averaging 215.02 thus far.

“I was a little nervous before the morning block started, but then, I’m always nervous beforehand,” Gianotti-Block admitted. “But the lanes settled down quickly and were good to me again. I’m playing in a very comfortable area, around the 15th board, and if the condition starts breaking down Wednesday night, forcing me to move farther inside, I will like it even better.

“I didn’t realize until we had finished play that Cara and I were first and second. She is having a great year, and I’m trying to get a great one started this week!”

Kelly Kulick, Union, N.J., overcame a slow start Wednesday morning to hold onto third place. She has an 8-8-0 record and 7,408 pins. Carolyn Dorin-Ballard, seeking her sixth title of the year, improved her Tuesday standing by three places and is in fourth place with 7,393 pins and a 10-6-0 record. Anne Marie Duggan, Edmond, Okla., remains in fifth spot with 7,374 total pins and an 8-8-0 record.

Indianapolis’ Brenda Norman moved up one position and is in 21st place with 6,863 pins and a 7-9-0 match play record.

The final eight games of match play begin at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday. The top five following Wednesday’s competition advance to Thursday’s TV stepladder finals, which begin at 7 p.m. with a shootout match between the Nos. 3, 4 and 5 bowlers. The shootout winner meets the No. 2 bowler in the semifinal match, and the winner of that match takes on the tournament leader for the $10,000 first prize and 2001 Clabber Girl Greater Terre Haute Open title.

The championship round action can be followed as it occurs on the PWBA web page (click on “Live Scoring” to access the Webscorer feature). It will also be broadcast on ESPN2 Monday, July 30 at 9 p.m. (all TV times are Eastern). Travelodge Hotels Inc. will award a $50,000 bonus to any bowler who rolls a perfect game during the championship round

GIANOTTI-BLOCK IN POSITION TO DEFEND HER TITLE AT $60,000 CLABBER GIRL OPEN

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. – Carol Gianotti-Block of Australia positioned herself to defend her title by taking the top-seeded position for Thursday night’s TV finals of the $60,000 Clabber Girl Greater Terre Haute Open at Terre Haute Bowling Center.

Gianotti-Block withstood a charge by sister Aussie Cara Honeychurch in the final round of match play Wednesday night, holding Honeychurch at bay by 39 pins after 42 games of competition. Gianotti-Block completed match play with 9,448 pins and a 17-5-2 record. Honeychurch, who defeated Gianotti-Block in the final position-round game by six pins, came into the clubhouse with 9,409 pins and an 18-6-0 record, the best in the 24-woman field.

“Winning matches is what kept me in first place,” Gianotti-Block confessed. “I didn’t think I had a very good ball reaction tonight; the lanes didn’t open up for me the way they did Tuesday. But it’s just great to be in a position to defend my title. It’s been a long and tiring swing, and I couldn’t be happier about ending it this way.”

Joining Gianotti-Block and Honeychurch in Thursday’s championship round are Kelly Kulick, Union, N.J.; Wendy Macpherson, Henderson, Nev.; and Dede Davidson, Las Vegas. Kulick, who is seeking her first pro title, finished with a 13-11-0 record and 9,330 pins. Macpherson, seeking her first victory in 2001, completed the preliminaries with 9,316 pins and a 14-9-1 record, while Davidson, also looking for Title No. 1 this year, checked in with 9,234 pins and a 14-8-2 record.

The top five begin the championship round finals Thursday at 7 p.m. Kulick, Macpherson and Davidson open the action with a one-game shootout match. The winner advances to the semifinal match, where she takes on Honeychurch. The winner of that match goes against Gianotti-Block for the title and $10,000 first prize.

The action will be carried live on the PWBA’s web page, www.pwba.com with the Webscorer feature (click on “Live Scoring” on the home page to access Webscorer).
icon_smile.gif

HONEYCHURCH IS THE AUSSIE WHO RULES AT $60,000 CLABBER GIRL OPEN

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. – Cara Honeychurch came within a 10-pin of perfection on her way to a 279-208 victory over fellow Australian Carol Gianotti-Block Thursday night in the championship match of the $60,000 Clabber Girl Greater Terre Haute Open at Terre Haute Bowling Center.
No. 2 seed Honeychurch survived her semifinal match with Kelly Kulick, Union, N.J., 257-245, to move into the title bout against defending champion Gianotti-Block. A seven-strike string in the match against Kulick was an indicator of things to come for Honeychurch, as she opened with a double, left the 10-pin in the third frame, and then struck out the rest of the way to eliminate all hope for Gianotti-Block.
“What can I say; how can you beat something like that?” marveled Gianotti-Block, who rolled the tournament’s only perfect game earlier in the week. “Cara bowled extremely well and made great shots. I made a poor shot midway through the game [leaving the 1-2-4-7 which she failed to convert], and that took away any chance I might have had.”
“You need a lot of luck to roll a 300 game. I think I didn’t come off that shot in the third frame as crisply as I did the other ones, and that’s why I left the 10-pin,” Honeychurch said. “I’m pleased all the rest of the pins fell down often enough for me to win.”
Honeychurch dedicated her victory to her great-grandmother, whom she learned had died earlier in the week.
Honeychurch took an $11,000 first prize back home to Australia, while Gianotti-Block settled for $5,500. Kulick, who defeated Wendy Macpherson, Henderson, Nev., and Dede Davidson, Las Vegas, in the opening shootout, 226-194-182, won $3,800 for third place. Macpherson was rewarded with $3,000 for fourth, and Davidson earned $2,500 for fifth place.
The championship round of the $60,000 Clabber Girl Greater Terre Haute Open will be broadcast on ESPN2 Monday, July 30, at 9 p.m. (all TV times are Eastern). The PWBA tour goes on a one-month hiatus in August and resumes with the first stop of its 2001 Fall Tour, the September 1-6 Foundation Games V at Kegel Training Center in Sebring, Fla.
TERRE HAUTE, Ind. –Championship round results, scores, earnings and playoff results in the Professional Women's Bowling Association's

$60,000 Clabber Girl Greater Terre Haute Open:
1. Cara Honeychurch, 536 -2 games- $10,000
2. Carol Gianotti-Block, 208 -1 game- $5,500
3. Kelly Kulick, 471 -2 games- $3,800
4. Wendy Macpherson, 194 -1 game- $3,000
5. Dede Davidson,182 -1 game- $2,500

Playoff Results: Kulick def. Macpherson and Davidson, 226-194-182; Honeychurch def. Kulick, 257-245; Honeychurch def. Gianotti-Block, 279-208.
Congratulations to Cara, Carol and Maxine on their performances so far and good luck with the fall tour.

Back
Top Bottom