Cara wins 3rd Title (this year) defeating Carol Gianotti

Stax

– Cara Honeychurch came within a 10-pin of perfection on her way to a 279-208 victory over fellow Australian Carol Gianotti-Block Thursday night in the championship match of the $60,000 Clabber Girl Greater Terre Haute Open at Terre Haute Bowling Center.

No. 2 seed Honeychurch survived her semifinal match with Kelly Kulick, Union, N.J., 257-245, to move into the title bout against defending champion Gianotti-Block. A seven-strike string in the match against Kulick was an indicator of things to come for Honeychurch, as she opened with a double, left the 10-pin in the third frame, and then struck out the rest of the way to eliminate all hope for Gianotti-Block.

“What can I say; how can you beat something like that?” marveled Gianotti-Block, who rolled the tournament’s only perfect game earlier in the week. “Cara bowled extremely well and made great shots. I made a poor shot midway through the game [leaving the 1-2-4-7 which she failed to convert], and that took away any chance I might have had.”

“You need a lot of luck to roll a 300 game. I think I didn’t come off that shot in the third frame as crisply as I did the other ones, and that’s why I left the 10-pin,” Honeychurch said. “I’m pleased all the rest of the pins fell down often enough for me to win.”

Honeychurch dedicated her victory to her great-grandmother, whom she learned had died earlier in the week.

Honeychurch took an $11,000 first prize back home to Australia, while Gianotti-Block settled for $5,500. Kulick, who defeated Wendy Macpherson, Henderson, Nev., and Dede Davidson, Las Vegas, in the opening shootout, 226-194-182, won $3,800 for third place. Macpherson was rewarded with $3,000 for fourth, and Davidson earned $2,500 for fifth place.

The championship round of the $60,000 Clabber Girl Greater Terre Haute Open will be broadcast on ESPN2 Monday, July 30, at 9 p.m. (all TV times are Eastern). The PWBA tour goes on a one-month hiatus in August and resumes with the first stop of its 2001 Fall Tour, the September 1-6 Foundation Games V at Kegel Training Center in Sebring, Fla.

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. –Championship round results, scores, earnings and playoff results in the Professional Women's Bowling Association's

$60,000 Clabber Girl Greater Terre Haute Open:

1. Cara Honeychurch, Australia, 536 -2 games- $10,000

2. Carol Gianotti-Block, Australia, 208 -1 game- $5,500

3. Kelly Kulick, Union, N.J., 471 -2 games- $3,800

4. Wendy Macpherson, Henderson, Nev., 194 -1 game- $3,000

5. Dede Davidson, Las Vegas, Nev., 182 -1 game- $2,500

Playoff Results: Kulick def. Macpherson and Davidson, 226-194-182; Honeychurch def. Kulick, 257-245; Honeychurch def. Gianotti-Block, 279-208.

Back
Top Bottom