NATIONAL TOURNAMENT BOWLERS ASSOC

steve jones

There appears to be significant merit at this time to explore formulating the framework for a national bowlers entity of some type. Relevant points:

1. Firstly I am not suggesting that I am the right person to move on this or indeed even to start discussions...but someone probably needs to. Accordingly if there are others who have already commenced plans in a similar regard please let me know by email via TB and I will gladly step aside. It is utterly pointless if separate individuals or groups work toward the same goal with disregard for each other - an complete waste of time and resources.

2. I am encouraged by AMF's support of such a concept [CEO's observation post of recent times] - concept it is only - but whatever framework it [the bowlers entity] takes it must be designed with all proprietors in mind...it simply can't and won't work effectively without the support of the industry.

3. There are sizable hurdles to overcome - not the least of which is bowling's level of awareness and image in and to the public domain, the business community and within the media. Certain image negatives need to be overcome - this will likely be one of the most difficult tasks...in some circumstances just impossible to rectify - in others perhaps not. I have zero interest in working a small organisation with a committee of enthused people that has tournaments on occassion - there are a number of these already in place state by state - they do great work and are the absolute backbone of tournament bowling in Australia. However what I have in mind needs to be on another level...and as such must [try to] overcome certain sterotypes.

4. It is an impossible task to be done by one person or even a handful - it will require others to put their hands up. Others who have the ability to do the necessary hard yards and spend considerable time to set the project moving and to carry it on. Having interest is one thing - having the necessary capabilites will be critical.

5. Nothing that works well, works for free. This concept will cost money - if you think the TBA annual dues are excessive [and they are not by the way] - then you need to apply your mind to another platform altogether.

6. AMF has already declared [CEO's observations recent post] how difficult it has been over recent times to have non bowling industry entities support certain concepts of their own. Believe me - if AMF/Mac have had this sort of problem - and they are an organisation that can, at the very least, get most doors open - an organisation of bowlers no matter how well driven will find it extremely hard. Do not view this through rose coloured glasses.

Having said all this and whilst nothing is a "given" in any new venture - it is my view the concept is worth [at the very least] developing into some workable ideas that form a framework. So if there is interest please let me know..but let me know with both feet firmly planted on the ground and one eye open on reality...both mine are.

Finally, if you think I am barking mad, my timing is way off or the concept couldn't gather enough energy to get past my shadow - please tell me....but be polite. God knows I have enough to do to keep me busy without adding something that simply fails before it get's started due to mass apathy from the very people the organisation needs to have on board.

Steve Jones

Well yes and no - Bluey. Of course any formalised bowlers organisation will have a base similar to what's come before - and that was the APBA [then name changed to ATBA because of FIQ requirements of the day that were anti the word "Professional"]. But it must be national - with state by state entities of course - so in that sense the ATBA model has some aspects that simply roll over well no matter what we are working with. There are some other changes that would be required though - in reality dragging the ATBA model up by it's boot straps to another level [or two or three levels I should expect].

Not sure if this answers you well enough Blue - everything is of course "work in progress".

Steve

Of course the ATBA name was created for a nationwide organisation of tourney bowlers to happen. It only got to 3 staes to start with, maybe now it can get them all(the name and emblem should be kept, dont let that good work of 20 or so yrs ago go to waste!!)

Steve's right about it not happening for free too, i'll shell out 100 bucks for a year just like the old days

Interesting - a post that I would have thought might have generated some serious consideration [negative and positive both] - because it was a serious post supported with interest, capability and [available and pre allocated] financials to overcome many of the issues - has been left to slide below the surface...without so much as a blip.

That's OK - not everything will work either part of or all of the time - but please - don't anyone ever again write to me or complain again about the lacklustre state of the national tournament scene - it appears all is in good shape given the apathy of response.

Have fun and enjoy,

I guess a lot of the newer generation of bowlers dont know how well the ATBA did its job

I'm 26, and I have put countless hours and money into this sport, but I have absolutely no idea what this ATBA was beyond this thread.

Your original post was huge, talked about a half a dozen things, and didn't ask anything specific. Immediately someone said "you mean like ATBA", well since I don't know what that is I waited for it to be explained.

If I can find some time for it, I'll help you out. How about you give us a starting point?

Ive explained this on here in the past but dunno how far back the post is so i'll try again. The ATBA name was used from 1988 onwards by the SACBA(South Australian competitive bowlers association) and the VCBA(Victorian competitive bowlers association) Im pretty sure the intention was for it to become a nationwide organisation one day, WA joined in a few yrs later but they didn't last long. They managed to hold an event in NSW(Cambelltown i believe) and a late 80's Canberra cup. I've never known why the rest of the country didint join in, perhaps Steve can fill in some blanks

J Whitty please reread my original post - and it is clear that what I asked for was input and comment [good or bad ]....at this early stage that is ALL there can be - that IS the starting point...and it requires a good deal more than less than a handful of posts and comments on the topic to go to anything that even looks like the next step. Thank you for your comments by the way - appreciate your input.

Adrian - no I am not sure why the players organisation was not something that evolved to be truely national back in the 1980's [but I could guess and would probably be close]. As the original APBA and ATBA it had some development - but not much outside of Victoria and SA [as you say correctly]. I would think if it were to happen now that interest from Queensland would be sizable - and likely also NSW...which, as you note, were two States that did not embrace the ATBA concept.

Mind you I see this 2009 style national entity needing to be different from an infrastructure standpoint....it will have to be to work in today's market place...it won't live too long as simply a body of volunteers no matter how well intentioned. It will run out of oxygen very smartly.

Steve

Sorry, I didn't clearly state why I felt it wasn't clear, how ironic.

I don't understand what a Tournament Bowlers Association is going to do, exactly?

Frankly Fred I thought that's what I was doing with my post? Does it need to be in a "pole format" specifically for people to understand that I am seeking their input one way or the other? Seriously - if it does then maybe we should do so - and your input is valuable.

J Whitty - the concept is relatively simple - refer the PBA [or to be really closer to the mark the JPBA..at least for now] - but modify it to suit a much smaller market [smaller in every aspect] downsize it accordingly, tone it to meet relevant financial capabilities specific to a smaller market - work within a set framework that mirrors the model but is shaped to suit the relevant market - establish and sell the concept and drive it forward.

Hope this helps as a broad picture - I understand what you are asking - and you are right to ask - it's just not relevant or intelligent right now to push the concept forward with any more clarity. You would ask "why" [and rightly so as I would do in your case] - the answer is because my minds image may not be what the market thinks is the best approach - and therefore it [the model] must be adjusted accordingly. I come from a time that is past - the future is where this needs to go - I can help take it there [at least I believe I can to some degree] but I need younger advice and input as younger people will be the people this impacts more than those from my time and place.

Steve

I don't understand what a Tournament Bowlers Association is going to do, exactly?

OBJECTS

3. The objects of the ATBA are:

(a) To promote top competitive scratch bowling in South Australia.

(b) To provide members with regular tournaments.

(c) Generally to do all things arising out of or in connection with 3(a) and 3(b).

Attachments

• CONSTIT.DOC
    51 KB · Views: 23
Right right right.

I was trying to work out something similar once. The best I found was that Golf somehow pulled it off, Ive been meaning to ask a local course what their arrangements are with the national body.

Well anyway, I don't bowl much myself these days so I couldn't really comment much on the younger needs, but I am a professional problem solver. If you - or anybody - can articulate the problem to some detail, I am happy to help work out solutions

I am from Queensland and as a junior I think I paid fees to an organisation called ATBC (could be wrong - was an acronym similar to that anyways). I do not know what it was or what they did, but, is it similar to what you are referring to with ATBA??

Can anyone enlighten me on what this organisation was and what they did?

Determining the framework, would not be suited to me as I have not the experience and prior knowledge of the past organisations. Though will help if I can offer any assistance in any way possible.

Cheers,

Rhyss.

ATBC was what the TBA is now, they liked spending money on plane tickets a little much so they got the boot!!! :D

I was the Marketing and Media Director for the ATBC for 3 years - be assured I did NOT waste money on travel and nor did anyone in that organisation that I know of - and certainly neither did the hundreds of good people that gave of their time and energy over many, many years to the sport and to bowlers across this country. You might want to choose your words and the nature of your generalisations with more care in future...I recommend it.

Stephen Jones

steve 1st yes i think your mad 2nd ,great concept ,i would be glad to help,3rd how many members did ATBC have compared with TBA today, but seriously i think logistics could be overcome and im certain qld would love to be involved regards otty

Thx Geoff appreciate the input - as I expected from you - positive. Your comment about being "mad" - is simply accurate and honest to the bone as you always are.

Steve

ps, when I left ATBC - 115,000 members..at that time it was the biggest bowling membership organisation anywhere outside of North America. Those hundreds of good people did darned fine work. S

115,000 ATBC members......WOW TBA have I believe between 8000 -10,000 members at this stage. And in those days all our League bowlers received FREE awards and plenty of stationary for league secretaries etc. What do we get from TBA these days........ZIP ZIP ZIP no wonder we cant recruit bowlers to the National body........again all they want is your $25.00 registration fee but give nothing in return........Bring back ATBC obviously they must have done something RIGHT with so many registered League bowlers.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom