markings?

slayer

hi,

i just had a quick question about the markings on the ball.

i have a hammer doom and from what i can see there are 2 markings. 1 is the pin which is a filled white circle... and what is the other (small circle outline indent in ball not too far from the pin)...??? is it the PAP?

cheers!

doesnt the PAP change for each bowler? my understanding was that a bowlers PAP is personal, depending on the rotation etc?? the small outlined circle could mark CG maybe?? from what i have seen, the CG is makred differently on different gear so this could explain why you dont recognise it??

that is what i would assume it to be...

Exactly right. The PAP does depend on the way a bowler releases the ball. The circle that you are talking about is the CG (centre of gravity), and it is used (along with other considerations) to map out the correct drilling layout for a particular bowler.
If you want to find out where your PAP is, I'd suggest talking to your local Pro Shop. Otherwise, have a look at http://www.totalbowling.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=12170 for a DIY approach.

my girlfriend has a columbia and hers has what i assume is the same marking... but hers has a small circle outline with a hand inside the circle...

The small circle is the CG or Centre of Gravity. The term is a bit oudated, as it's really just the heaviest point on the ball.

FYI, the pin is actually a plastic pin on which the core of the ball is hung in the ball mould before the cover is poured around it. (Picture a tea bag on a string and you pour the water around it.) The dot you see is the pin where it has been cut off and finished flush with the ball. How far the core shifts in this pouring determines how far the pin is from the CG.

Check out this thread for a link to an Ebonite video that will give you a better picture (because it's a video) of pins and cgs and how they relate to the core. I like the part where he says something like, 'it LOVES that axis!'

Back
Top Bottom