Finding the V.A.L

In having a spot of trouble understanding how to find the Vertical access line on a ball

Forget dual angle layouts I'm talking old school

OK so I know my PAP and now have to layout a virgin ball (no holes)
So the drilling sheet tells me the distance Pin to Pap OK all good draw an radius
Easy Now I need a val ??
I know Storm balls have a pin Buffer and you draw a radius around the pin and then a line from this radius to you PAP this give you the VAL to then find you center of grip

So what about other balls say a Hammer TabooThey say put the Mas Bias in a strong position
Is this a guess or is there a measurement

What about other balls

If I don't have 2 points on the ball for the VAL my center of grip can end up anywhere (see pic)

Everyone I ask has told me so far its a vertical line up the ball
Ok in reference to what
Roll the ball along the bench a few inches and the vertical is in a different place still vertical tho

Has this been all guess work??

Am I missing something

Attachments

• IMAG0165.jpg
    IMAG0165.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 21
Nev,
Storm balls don't 'have' a pin buffer - you choose a pin buffer to give you the shape and transition you want. Once you choose pin-PAP, mb-PAP and pin buffer, you have also determined where the VAL will be. This system will work on any asymmetric ball with a y-spinning core - which is most of them. Manufacturer is irrelevant.

edit - btw it is a vertical AXIS line, not access.

Nev,
Storm balls don't 'have' a pin buffer - you choose a pin buffer to give you the shape and transition you want. .

Yes but my point is they Do other manufactures don't

Nev,
. Once you choose pin-PAP, mb-PAP and pin buffer, .

How do you choose buffer its not in the data sheets of most balls

Nev,
you have also determined where the VAL will be. -.

How??? Isn't that the original question

If you have a drilling you like on a Storm ball.... Put that same drilling, using the same method, on any other ball.

Just because it's Storm's instructions, doesn't mean you can't use that on a Hammer. A 4.5" pin, with MB 4" from PAP, with a 4" pin buffer, will work on any asymmetric weightblock with a Y-spinning PSA. If you understand that system for laying out balls better than other methods, use it! There are a couple of Z-spinning cores, such as what was in Visionary's Mixed Breed line, and I believe, Hammer's No Mercy. Don't worry about them ;)

Or better yet..... learn the dual angle method :) Makes life soooooo much easier.

EDIT: You create the VAL depending on how high you want the pin. The strong position for the MB is halfway between your track, and the VAL.

Yes but my point is they Do other manufactures don't

How do you choose buffer its not in the data sheets of most balls

How??? Isn't that the original question

OK. To uniquely identify a grip on a bowling ball, you need three pieces of information. The Storm system uses pin-PAP, pin-MB and pin buffer. No bowling ball has any of these measurements before drilling - all three are chosen by the ball driller to get a certain reaction from the ball. The problem with using pin buffer is that for the same pb you get different reaction shapes with different pin-paps.
So lets take a 4x4.5 x 2"pb example. Once you lay the ball out with these measurements, they define where the VAL will be - it is a line tangent to the pb arc and through the PAP. The VAL doesn't exist until you lay the ball out, and you cannot lay it out until you know what pin-pap, pin-mb and buffer you want. To choose a pin buffer - the smaller the pb relative to the pin-pap, the faster the ball turns over at the break point.

Back
Top Bottom