Lyn Chown - warmest thank you!

Hi Guys,

I just wish to take this opportunity to express my deepest gratitude and unreserved appreciation for a truly invaluable member of the bowling community, namely Lyn Chown.

I'm sure many of you whom are reading this would know Lyn much better than I do, so it would come as little surprise to people when I say that I've never met a more generous and dedicated individual in the bowling community.

My reasons for this are as follows. I was watching my best friend Ben Young practice at my local AMF Blacktown last night. Ben is visually impaired and has been chosen to compete for Australia in the upcoming 3rd Blind World Tenpin Championships in MacArthur this November. Ben has been bowling for about 18 months and is determined to go as far as he can in the sport. As many bowlers would understand, Ben needs to raise a substantial amount of money for entry, accommodation, and various other expenses, hence the need to sell raffle tickets. Until last night, Ben was finding it difficult to get the required support from the non bowling public to raise money, particularly in his local area of North Sydney. This is when the outstanding work of Lyn Chown left both myself and Ben truly humbled by the willingness and generosity shown by her to help out a fellow bowler who was completely unbeknown to her at the time. Despite being in the middle of bowling her league, Lyn could see we looked like we needed help and without hesitation, got on the microphone and made an announcement to the entire centre about who Ben and I were and what we were trying to achieve. The outcome of this was simply incredible. Within moments, Ben and I were inundated by league bowlers who were eager to contribute towards helping Ben get to his target and compete in the World Championships. It suddenly became obvious to me just how well respected Lyn is among her bowling colleagues and the wider bowling community in general. As I understand it, Lyn has sacrificed her time and effort countless times in the past to help many other bowlers, particularly Juniors to help them raise money and reach their goals in the sport of Bowling. Needless to say, without people like Lyn Chown, many bowlers whom have the privilege of knowing her, would surely lack the support, resources and motivation to strive to keep bowling competitively and succeed.

Once again, on behalf of Ben and myself, I would like to express my warmest gratitude for Lyn Chown and also the league bowlers of AMF Blacktown for digging deep into their pockets and more importantly their hearts, in order to help a young and upcoming bowler get a shot at achieving his goals in bowling. Lyn and her fellow league bowlers represent all that is great about the bowling community.

Yours In Bowling,

Rob :thmbup:

Does not suprise me in the slightest or Mrs Chown. She is a dead set lovely person.

I hope all goes well for your friend with the Blind Tournament he is bowling in.

Well done the bowling community for helping another further their dreams!

Rob

Last night when mum read your post she called out to me & i went to have a look, i didnt know what to expect when she had tears in her eyes of emotion & was sincerely touched by your comments. She does alot of work for the sport of bowling, not only working in a bowling centre but she does alot behind the seens, with all the book work thats involved being the secretary of 2 leagues, one being for an 4 man 18 team league.

I guess i am one of 3 lucky people that has the privilege of having Lyn as my mum.

Keep up the good work.

Russell

I guess i am one of 3 lucky people that has the privilege of having Lyn as my mum.
Keep up the good work.
Russell

You sucking up Russell...:p

Everyone knows that Paul is her Favorite…:DWell that’s what Chowny tells us up here…;)

On a serious note...Great post Rob…It’s about time people like Lyn were recognised publicly for their generosity and willingness to help others at the drop of a hat…From all reports Lyn is well known for dedicating a lot of her time for the sport of Ten Pin Bowling…Well done Lyn great story…

all i can really add rob is that you dont find too many people in the sport of bowling, maybe any sport like Lyn

She is a rare find

Rob,

Thank you for the humbling post.

The people around AMF Blacktown on a Wednesday night are pretty much family having grown up with them all and I know what a great bunch of people they are. Thank you to them aswell.

Mum truely puts in alot for bowling, sometimes I think she does to much and need to relax but story like this are dont suprise me in the slightest. It comes as 2nd nature to Mum and she would always help out where ever possible.

Having spent many years with her own eye problems she knows how difficult it is dealing with blindness.

All the best Ben in November, Im certain you will represent Australia proudly.

I have never met a person that takes care of the bowlers as well as Lyn does......

Lyn always go the extra mile to make the bowlers feel like family and you can't get that anywhere else.

I feel privileged to know this wonderful women and I hope to know her for a many more years to come.

I would like to add my own personal message to a truly wonderful, caring and dedicated lady - Lyn Chown. I have been privileged to have worked with Lyn for many years and have always admired her absolute commitment to her 'broader' bowling family. I know of no other person in Sydney bowling who enjoys the respect and admiration of our 'grass roots' bowlers as much as she does.
I am never surprised by her generosity but it is always so nice to see her recognised.
Lyn, you continue to be an ornament to our Sport. We at AMF are privileged to work alongside you - hopefully for many, many years to come.
Roy Menachemson
CEO - AMF Bowling Centres.

Wow. Anyone who's met Lyn knows that's the kind of person she is, but isn't it good to see it up there? I'm not surprised to hear of the generosity of the good people of Blacktown Bowl either. As good a mob of people as you'll ever meet.

Good on you Lyn Chown!

Better pay her more Roy! ;)

I have to agree with all of the above.

I have known of Lyn since 1990 when i bowled in the western district league at the old blacktown centre, i have seen a lot of ppl admire her spirit to the game and the committiment she puts into the leagues she runs, when some one has problem she is the first to put her hand up.

thank you for last night as well LYN

It comes as 2nd nature to Mum and she would always help out where ever possible.

Hi Guys,

The term "greatest mum in the world" often gets thrown around these days and is used far too loosely, however Russell & Paul, as far as I'm concerned, no truer words could be spoken about your mother. The two of you could proudly speak this term of your mother every day of the week and it is completely justifiable. Ben and myself can vouch for this. You should both be extremely proud.

As if Lyn hadn't already done enough for Ben, he advised me earlier today that she contacted him to advise that there was a cash donation waiting for him, including an incredibly generous offer from Mr Chown.

You know what guys, until 48 hours ago when I met Lyn and the Wednesday night league bowlers of Blacktown, I had no idea that generosity of this magnitude still existed. I simply don't know how else to express this.

Russell, you made mention that Lyn was very emotional when reading this thread. Well I can tell you that Ben and his mother are incredibly overwhelmed and emotional at the support shown by your family. One family helping another is special, but when those two families are unknown to eachother, well that is just remarkable, an incredibily powerful statement of human kindness at its very best.

To Ben

I wish you all the best in representing austalia,

to Boston,

welcome to the chown family.

To the chown family.

I wish there were more like the hole family, as they all work together to make bowling more enjoyable for all.

peter

I dont know Lynn either but by just reading this post she sounds like some one anyone would want to aspire too.....Nice work Lynn & to Ben goodluck
chasing your goals in life......

Major things in life can happen with a little help...

Great read...
Mick carlsson.

Hey Lyn, you told me at work on Wed. night that you were embarrased that everyone was making such a big fuss over you........well, it's about bloody time they did!!!! You're so deserving of it.

Back
Top Bottom