Leaving corner pins

mickyd213

I guess this could be said for both left and right handers but what is the best way to carry the corners. I ask this only because after bowling a centre run tourny on the weekend I was leaving a heap of corner pins (7 pins) Mind you I was not alone in this as almost everyone across the board seemed to be having the same problem.

Whether I moved forward, back or adjusted my line to the pocket, increased or decreased ball speed it really didn't seem to matter.

What adjustments do you make to kick out the corners?

I guess this could be said for both left and right handers but what is the best way to carry the corners. I ask this only because after bowling a centre run tourny on the weekend I was leaving a heap of corner pins (7 pins) Mind you I was not alone in this as almost everyone across the board seemed to be having the same problem.

Whether I moved forward, back or adjusted my line to the pocket, increased or decreased ball speed it really didn't seem to matter.
What adjustments do you make to kick out the corners?

Well Micky if you have done the bolded part above you have pretty much done your best. Many people on here will say why didnt you just change ball? But thats another topic ;)

Its got a lot to do with entry angle and you have obviously tried your best to change this with what you have tried, but some times you just leave them.

Will be interesting though to hear some of the more experienced comment on this though.

Hey Micky,

Sometimes it's just bad luck. But most of the times it's ball deflection. 15lb ball trying to dive through 40lb wall of wood. Often the stationary object just wins the fight of physics upon impact.

Now this reminds me of Liverpool Bowl, especially lane 24, boy it was hard to dig out the 10 pin. Now because it was an end lane I tried extra nails in the Kickback, tightened up the Coach Bolts holding the support braces, took out the Flat Gutters and tightened down the Toe Screws but all to no avail, nothing worked.

Liverpool was different to most Brunswick Centre's because it had shortened Kickbacks much like all AMF Centre's and a lot of older regulars who mostly Bowled elswhere, were aghast at the corner pin leaves. From experience I always Bowled better in Centre's like ST Leonards, Leichhardt, Bankstown and Rockdale, all who had the traditional full length Kickbacks.

So Micky to answer your Question, there may be a reason why you cannot remove the corner pins and it may just be the Lane itself.

willey

Roy Pretty much has it right there...

It has a lot to do with entry angle. I find that when I start leaving corner pins, I will make a drastic move (i.e. if I am playing from outside with a very big entry angle, I will move to deep inside and have the ball "straighten up" at the pocket, rather than diving in from across the lane, like it would from outside) this usually helps.

But then again, some nights, no matter what you do, those corner pins just won't go down.

I asked the same question at state development squad last weekend and I received some very effective advice from the amazing Gail Torrens.

You need to watch the way the pins fall when your ball hits the pocket.Sometimes your ball isn't hitting the pocket quite high enough or hitting it to low.

There are two options to get the ball to hit higher or the ball to hit lower in the pocket.

High in the pocket - when you set your self up rotate your shoulders a board to the left OR rotate your hand to the left i.e. if your hand is normally directly under the ball and your fingers sit at 12 oclock move your fingers to 10 & 11 oclock but leave your wrist in the same spot.

Lower in the pocket - opposit to the above.

As I am not very skilled with adjusting my hand I use the shoulder option and it was highly effective. (WISH I HAD OF KNOWN THIS ON FRIDAY NIGHT!!!!!!)

Hi KriDdle,

That was pretty good device. I have always been taught to watch were the ball is after it has been through the pins. For a right hander, what side on the nine pine does the ball fall off the deck. Easier with the screens these days as you can watch the ball exit location as a replay.

The corner pin will stand if the ball is deflecting and not doing its job. Of cause there are other items like pin deck gutter depth items to consider, but the classic strike, no messangers just all pins in the deck. Will leave a corner with deflection.

From what I believe if the six pin is falling in front of the ten pin your ball is too high in the pocket because generally your ball hits the pocket then the three hits the 6 and the 6 falls into the ten but if the angle is too sharp then the 3 isn't being pushed into the above scenario and the six slides in front of the ten pin. Example - view the second video in the video archive of darryl in 02.

It's really handy knowing this. :)

Back
Top Bottom