Visionary Frankie May Gryphon

BrenH

I'm not exactly good with drilling lingo but i'll give it a shot.

Right hander with medium high ball speed and medium revs.
Basic 1:30 drilling for a strong arc.
Left the ball at box finish (400) for use on heavier oil patterns.
After throwing a couple dozen shots immediately went up to 800 grit as the ball simply rolled too hard at 400.
At 800 grit the reaction was more tame but still rolls very hard with a smooth and controlled backend.
This ball hits and carries like nothing i've ever thrown. Doesn't matter whether its high flush, flush pocket or light pocket it manages to kick out the corner pins more often than not.

Perhaps the best thing i've found with this ball is its ability to retain energy down the lane. Almost regardless of how dry the heads are it never seems to roll out.
Fresh backends and the ball jumps a little more but as the oil carries down the ball really comes into its own. The ball just seems to love carry down. The reaction becomes slightly more tame but the general shape of the shot and the balls ability to continue driving through the oil mean that you can use it long after other bowlers have needed to change balls to adjust.
This is a ball that can be used on most conditions, providing you take it up from the box finish to between 800 and 1000.
Polishing adds more length and more snap at the backend but the ball still drives well through the pins and continually kicks out the corners.
Perhaps the one problem i've found is that every now and then it simply drives to hard through the pins and you'll start to leave 9 pins.

Great ball from visionary and a big thanks to Max and Lee at Bowling Balls Australia as well as Tonx for setting me up with some amazing gear.

Great news Bren. I've been throwing a Centaur for about a season now and I have just got a frankie in which I haven't got drilled yet.

I think I'm going to go for the Leverage 12:00 (|) drilling as I am a fairly low revs bowler. I also want to be able to play a more inside line rather than having to bowl down and in over 5-10 depending on lane condition.

If you are a fairly low revs bowler hittman you may want to try the Frankie May at box finish for a while.
I've seen one or two lower rev bowlers throw it at box finish and have good results.
The only reason i took mine up to 800 was its was just too aggressive for my shot.
Have fun with it though. I think you will love this ball.

I just got a Green Blue Centaur drilled last week and have yet to use it but will post a review in a few weeks when i've had a real chance to evaluate the ball.

I am just starting to like my Frankie May. But this is me who has only been bowling for 12 months. I had trouble with it going brooklin to often so had it polished which made it more controllable. Threw my first 200 with it Wed night which has given me more confidence. I have had a crappy two months since getting the ball, but this is more to do with my lack of knowledge than anything else. Complete head case. I think I have found the line for it now and will find out next week as I am playing 4 nights in a row.
The ball works well. It just needs someone who can throw it.;)

Definately a very strong rolling ball.

I have thrown a few shots with Simon Commane's Frankie down here, and even with the pin above the fingers, at 1200grit, it's way, way too much ball for me. Will have to practise my helicopter release a little more ;)

All the guys that I have drilled them for, love them. It's a great, controllable big hooking ball.

BrenH said:
This ball hits and carries like nothing i've ever thrown. Doesn't matter whether its high flush, flush pocket or light pocket it manages to kick out the corner pins more often than not.

Brendan, must agree with you on your comments :mad:

After l threw yours for a few shots a coule of Monday nights ago, it looks to be a good ball, and for me to say that, it must be, as you know l am columbia through and through. Well most of the time :rolleyes: except when someone gives me something for free...:p

The ball looked very easy to read as it rolled, and was impressed with the hitting power, especially when you just kept on carrying everything, from heavy to light.

im not the best with ball lingo but anyway

i got this bad boy drilled to handle to alternate rachuig pattern and after bowling on 2 different house patterns and the ball going as strong as it is, i would safely say it is doing what i wanted it to do.

This one goes long and makes a SHARRRRRRRRRRP dive into the pocket.

im looking forward to trying more balls from visionary.

cheers

matt

I've had my "Frankie" drilled to the 1:30 Leverage position as I was after a hard arcing ball for medium oil conditons. I'd have to agree with Andrew - This is a whole lot of ball!

I took one look at the 400 grit box finish & went straight to the spinner to take the surface to something I was game to throw. I started with 800 grit & polish then tried 1200 with a mirror finish - neither suited my game as both finishes gave me a snap - rollout reaction. I then gave in & tried it at 1200 dull... what a difference ! Being dull, the ball starts up earlier and gives me the heavy rolling arc that I was after, as long as I throw it with plenty of speed.

The carry from this ball is rediculous! If it hits the 1-3, anywhere, it's a real chance of being Ten. I've no doubt at all that I will see some good numbers with this ball.

Bottom line - play around with the surface until you find what suits your game best, then enjoy!. This is a very forgiving ball, and is fantastic when coupled with the Violet Gargoyle.

Greg K

Drilled – pin under the ring finger
Ball speed – high for a girl
Ball rotation – low to medium
For a girl that does not get a lot of revs, this ball reacts extremely well. That well that I had to adjust the cover stock slightly with a little bit of polish. In one phrase this ball is off the chain.

This ball best suits conditions that are medium to wet, especially for stokers. What is also good about this ball is the reaction from other bowlers within the centre; most people asked me what ball it was and where the hell they could get one from. Once again this ball is off the chain.

This ball has help eliminate the elusive ten pin shots that frustrates all bowlers. The proof is within the scores that I have produced and the comments that I have received from other bowlers, with the way this ball has been drilled the roll into the pocket is unbelievable, even light shots still mixes extremely well and nine times out of ten the mix results in a strike.

Next thing……I love this ball!!

I would like to thank Max and Lee from Bowling Balls Australia and Cameron Walsh for the extraordinary drilling.

Bec Simpson

OK,

After 30 games on him, time for my review...

Firstly, people look at the box surface of this ball and almost die. Myself included.

Picked him up, and before even thinking of laying him out, straight on the spinner for 800 with a light factory finish gloss. Layed it out label, with pin at '1-30' for use on medium/heavy oil.

Boy was I wrong...

Quite simply, this is the single most versatile ball that I have ever thrown. I have not found a condition, even with my shot, that I have not been able to use this ball on. Just by simply adjusting my release and ball speed, I have been able to use this ball on everything from drier wooden lanes, right through to heavy oiled synthetics with little backend.

At first, straight off the press at 800polished i found that its was nothing more than an 'ok' reaction, that was a little speed sensitive, however once he tracked up, I felt like I couldnt miss pocket!!!

Its strong but predictable roll gave me the control that I was looking for, with the entry angle needed for consistent carry. Outside, Track area, AND Deep Inside, the Frankie May consistently kicks out those pesky corner pins that are every bowlers nightmare. When the lanes start to dry out, I feel confident in either throwing it a little quicker, or moving inside to stay 'IN THE ZONE' with the ball rarely leaving splits from poor shots. I find that only VERY late in the night do I have to switch to a slightly less aggressive ball...

All in all, this is probably the MUST HAVE ball from Visionary, with it being adaptable enough for almost any style of bowler being able to score consistently with it, and a very versatile surface, it is definately a keeper.

Thanks to Leigh and Max at Bowling Balls Australia, as well as Jason at Visionary for 'hooking' me up with this fantastic piece of resin.

I would just something about the Frankie May i have been bowling with it less then a week and it's just the best ball with the strong midlane roll on it who can go wrong with it. I polished it after it was drilled and what can isay but this ball is just awsome just rolls so good and hits like a jack hammer i would say this is a awsome ball.
Just love that brake point on it wow.
Chris

I would have to agree whole heartedly Chris, it is an AWESOME ball, got mine on Saturday thnx Andrew.
Bowled tonight in league at Dandy, what a hard hitting ball, 192,218,150, last game was 9 game, kept leaving the damn 7 pin, adjusted but still kept leaving that damn 7. Every time the ball hit hard right in the pocket.

I can't wait to try the Violet Gargoyle, Soon i hope.

hi all,

I have to agree, i got the ball today, drill 1.30 bowled first ball over 15 till 10 and it went to cutter just missing 7 pin (lol) adjusted and bowled 212 and 227, can not wait till canberra lol

Just got one delivered to me a couple of days ago. Punched it out over the label for an all round drilling. Yet to bowl it, will probably sneak out tonight to have a couple of games. I will let you all know how I go with it this evening.

hi all,

i bowled down in canberra for the brunswich cup under flooded lanes , i could not get the ball much turn, i am not saying this is a bad ball as love it on medium oil, but under very heavey conditions, me personally could not get it to turn much, using the ball if you are a cranker under very oily conditions it will turn the house down

Carmers said:
Yet to bowl it, will probably sneak out tonight to have a couple of games. I will let you all know how I go with it this evening.
well carmers what do u think of the frankie may.
Chris

hi all,

I must say it has to be the hardest hitting ball i have used in a while, I am more a medium roller, dont crank it, normally roll it down 10 brd and it comes in with a bang, I bowl out of fairfield on a tuesday night in a singles league, at present bowling a 200 ave in the last month.

Carmers said:
Just got one delivered to me a couple of days ago. Punched it out over the label for an all round drilling. Yet to bowl it, will probably sneak out tonight to have a couple of games. I will let you all know how I go with it this evening.
Well Carmers wht was the result ???????????????????:confused:

have had this ball for a week and its great got it second hand got it drilled up by gavin at richlands awsome ball should have made the move to visionary when it first came out definetly the best ball i have had and got

Back
Top Bottom