Keeping a constant speed on the ball

bambam

i,am finding it very diffcuilt to the same speed on the ball frame after frame i feel if i can master this problem my ave will go higher then what it is already at (180) So if any one can help please feel free to give me pointers
thank you :D :) :D :) :) :D :) :roll:

I have had this same problem with my game and in my small amount of experience what I have done to help eliminate this problem is to take more time ie: time before you get on the appraoch to readyyourself, take more time as your readying yourself, and also to slow your feet down as a start off. when you slow your feet down you will have to do the same to the swing,to do this practice pushing you ball out and letting it fall so you get the natural feel for your swing, if you do this and slow your feet a little it should one give you better foul line balance and two give you more consitancy to your shot, I mean there are probably other ways of doing this as I am sure there is. This is just something I had done for myself to give myself a more consistant swing and shot because I was like that all last yr being able to hold a 180 ave but I was forever going up and down, and this yr I tried this and it has made me hold a consistant 190 ave.
It may or may not work for you but it is something to try until some one else offers their opinions.

thank you for your advice i have to bowl leage tonight so i will try all of that and i will let you know how it all gos
thanks again

ball speed

Try shortening your approach. I've found that by having a shorter aproach I slow down my momentum and in turn this produces a slower and more consistent ball speed. :D

well i tryed what you said and it worked after 3 games i bowled a 653 series
thank you all for advice

Just remember that you can slow down your momentum too much..or at least I have found. Yes you can lose balance and have inconsistant ball speed and the like from having longer strides and stuff like that...but I have found that I tend to start lofting the ball too much or throwing it out too wide if I slow my momentum too much or shorten my strides too much. But then again this is me and I always find new ways to make bowling hard for myself... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey,

another idea is to focus on your starting point. Look at where you hold the ball before you start your approach. Another tip for speed control is this: For a fast shot on dry conditions, hold the ball closer to your chest, more speed means less amount of hook, especially needed on dry conditions; for a moderate paced shot, place the ball about waist height to get it a little slower, recommended for medium oil conditions; and for a slower shot and more hook, hold the ball at your knees, this makes your backswing lower, meaning low amout of speed and high amount of hook, which is recommended for oily lanes.

I find this works for me alot. So just try it.

Just remember to remember where you hold your ball before you start your approach.

The information i have just given is from stormbowling.com. In the storm tips section under ball speed.
Hope this helps in any way

Later

Just wondering what would be the aprroximatle speed that should be bowled? and is it a good thing to go from 32km/h to about 24.5km/h.

Because i have doubts at what speed i should bowl at. one tells me one thing another tells me something else!

Being able to consistantly alter ball speed in a controlled manner is a great skill that will give you an edge over the competition. If you are just throwing a wild shot, that is not a good thing. I used to remember the average ball speed to aim for a few years back was around 25-26k's. It was a happy medium between ball and pin deflection. It isnt so much a case these days, the highly agressive cores and coverstocks seem to maintain excellent carry at the pins, while still maintaining enough energy so they dont bounce off the pins at really low ball speeds (say around the 20 mark).

So can you control the difference in ball speed? and how do you do it? pulling through the shot or increasing your foot speed? (ie walking faster). I wouldnt pay any attention to what people tell you with reguards to what ball speed you should be bowling at. You can see the reaction your ball is making when it hits the pins, too much ball deflection and your ball speed is probably alittle low, if the pins are really flying, but not keeping low on the deck, might be an idea to try and decrease the pin deflection and keep the pins lower.

I use a combination of two things, faster tempo, higher backswing. I can usually differ the ball speed from around 20 - 36k's if needed. Im not a great bowler by any means, but being able to change ball speeds has allowed me to keep with an agressive ball, rather than changing to a urethane or hardcase all the time (maximising carry) when conditions were dry or if i had to play down the boards.

i shortened my back swing by a big margin but i can keep it around the 24-26km/h mark but when i get really annoyed i just throw the ball as fast as i can til i decide to calm down :!:

Well that isnt exactly a normal shot then is it? Dont think you have anything to worry about. As for the pissed off bit, yeah im guilty too, left a 4 pin off a pretty solid pocket hit, let my temper get the better of me, big wind up, threw it down the lane at around 37k's, went in the gutter right where the camera is.

Ball speed is always relative to the conditions you bowl on. In QLD, 24-28km/h is the norm. Darwin, try 20-22ish. You get the picture.

Further to that, ball speed is controlled by your SWING. If you want your ball speed to be faster it must be adjusted through your swing by starting with the ball higher or maybe quickening your feet on your approach. My feet are always quicker on the dry stuff.

Back
Top Bottom