Just curious

WAC4504

State Side
After reading about the AMF prices I'm curious as to what league bowlers do to practice. I mean it sounds as though all any one bowls is 3 games at a time. I know I always bowl at least 6, at any practice session. I know this topic is none of my business, and that there is a 10.00 difference in min. wages, and I don't mean to offend anyone but, it still sounds rather expensive. Although I make over double the min. wage here, I still wont pay 3.50 a game to bowl. Maybe I'm just to cheap.

Well Waca it cost us $18 for 4 games here at a league practise rate... its probably why people only bowl 3 or 4 games. Id bowl more practise games (eg 8) if it wasnt going to cost so much.

Don't some centers offer time-bowling? That'd be a good alternative & good practice without having to concentrate on a score - & you can do drills, etc.
Perhaps this would be a good idea to incorporate for league bowlers.

I very rarely practice at all now.

A couple of years ago, after the Sunday night league was finished, you could get games for $2.50 which was excellent value.
I would bowl up to around fifteen games practice each Sunday night, often on multiple pairs to get myself "tournament fit" - sometimes having bowled league before that if I subbed.
So, it was a good deal and got my game into the best shape it had been in in a long time and it was probably the best I'd performed in tournaments since the early part of the '90s.
In its infinite wisdom, AMF then decided to pull the pin on that special and start charging full price again.
As a result, I stopped practicing and no longer bowl tournaments.

Well that AUD$18 is about US$14.50 for 4 games (say $3.60 per game)
In real terms, it's roughly an hours pay depending on which end of the pay scale you are at. The absolute min adult pay rate in Australia is AUD$15 (US$12.25/hr) but most industries pay $2-3 above that rate.

The last time I paid for a practice game it was 35 cents.Refuse to pay the money they are charging now. Lucky I had Steve Mackie managing St Leonards back when I was practicing about 50 games a week.
Cheers Lovey

I'm have the same history as lovey. Can't say I've ever spent more than a pocketful of change paying for practice games.

I cant recall seriously practicing for at least the last 9-10 years, when I first moved to Newcastle the centres were all AMF, pricing was through the roof, I barely bowled one league a week, still dont even manage that sometimes, now all the centres in Newcastle are again owned by the one group, pricing isnt much better, their TBA rate is $4.75 a game. I only practice now when drilling a new ball, bowl 1-2 games to make sure it feels alright and leave. I don't know how some people manage to bowl a few leagues a week, then practice 5-6 games as well.

Big difference from an independant centre like Caboolture that actually cares about their bowlers, I was fortunate to not pay for practice after a while, not sure if they still provide free or cheap practice for league bowlers who have bowled there for 10 years or more, but a good reward for shown loyalty to the centre nonetheless.

My 2c anyway

Yes, Michael, Caboolture still has free praccy for 10 year league bowlers - after league Wed. night, bowlers can still have some games until we are kicked out!

Batesy also has a reputation for 'over supporting' tournaments and teams for Assn. Challenge etc. BUT DON'T TELL HIM THAT ...... Twin Tour, Ladies Classic etc. would not continue if his input was not there and with a full field (at this moment) of 54 for Qld. Ladies Classic showing 24 bowlers from Powder Puff division of Twin Tour competing, it shows the value of local tournaments.

We did not have the social costs in the 'old' days BUT travel costs are cheaper in proportion but with the end rewards costing even more $$$ if you make Oz teams, there is unfortunately little to attract the up and coming bowler. The real competition nowdays is how many of the latest balls one can own - 8 balls to bowl 3 games league !!!!!

Flower

The real competition nowdays is how many of the latest balls one can own - 8 balls to bowl 3 games league !!!!!

:( Sigh ...

Not only can I not compete on the lanes, I can't compete in that competition either! Can only get authorisation from the boss to purchase one ball a year! If I'm lucky! (or been a good boy ;))

Bought my last 'new' ball in 1995 or 6. A 'Zone' - think it was called a 'black pearl.' Bowled 2 games practice with it to-day at Ballina - $4:00 / Game- Bowling couple games every 2 or 3 days to see if latest shoulder surgery will hold up. Might buy a new ball if it does. Bowl a couple leagues and the occasional Torny. Think of the money I've saved not buying balls. Could prob even afford to practice with AMF !!!

I miss the days of instructor mat at warrawong, go bowl for hours for nothing, providing we were not in the way of bookings/leauges, and in the end we used to buy a game or two so it didnt feel like we were using them

Back
Top Bottom