Interstate Baggage

Just to bring this back up to the top...

I invested in the freight option a few weeks ago, having 6 balls sent from my home in outer eastern Melbourne, up to Mt Gravatt bowl for East Coast, and returned back to my house.
Time wise, it took 2 days for the gear to travel up, and 3 days to return.

Whilst Max organised everything with Star Track, all I was required to do was simply box up my bowling balls, which I was able to by obtaining a 4 ball and 2 ball box from my local centre.
In terms of cost for that distance, $50 each way, which I think is definitely affordable compared to the excess charges faced if taking gear onto a plane with you.

I had no problems whatsoever with this system, and would highly recommend it to anyone looking at travelling by plane and not wanting to fork out a mint in excess.

I would like to thank Max for organising everything and making sure it all ran smoothly, and will be definitely using this system again in the future!

Emily Robertson.

Our rachuig team also invested in freighting our balls to Tuggeranong. We got a few quotes done and thanks to one of our bowlers at cannington, we got a deal to have balls sent over AND back for only $65 each.

This has saved us a heap of hassle and im sure money as well as we are travelling on virgin to rachuig.

I rang virgin yesterday to clarify the new baggage allowances. I was told that since the ticket was bought before the rule change i was allowed 23kg.
"5kg" of this was for all my sporting equipment regardless of what it weighed and i would only have to pay an excess if my normal luggage was over 18kg. I tried to get her to email this in writing. She said she couldn't but made a note on my booking to make sure this was the case. Fingers crossed there are no dramas tomorrow at the airport.

Hi Dishman

I was also told the same by Virgin on two occasions before travelling Melbourne/Brisbane/Melbourne, and had requested that they note my booking accordingly. Told me they did this, but apparently they didn't.

I had no problems leaving Melbourne, but Brisbane took some convincing to about the 5kg sporting allowance. In the end, they didn't charge any excess baggage, but took quite a lot of talking to get that far!

I rang virgin yesterday to clarify the new baggage allowances. I was told that since the ticket was bought before the rule change i was allowed 23kg.
"5kg" of this was for all my sporting equipment regardless of what it weighed and i would only have to pay an excess if my normal luggage was over 18kg. I tried to get her to email this in writing. She said she couldn't but made a note on my booking to make sure this was the case. Fingers crossed there are no dramas tomorrow at the airport.

Dinesh,

Is it "5kg" total off your allowed 23kg limit regardsless how many bowling bags you have or is it "5kg" per bag. If you have 3 double tote bags, that would be a total "15kgs" leaving "8kgs" for your luggage.

Dinesh,
Is it "5kg" total off your allowed 23kg limit regardsless how many bowling bags you have or is it "5kg" per bag. If you have 3 double tote bags, that would be a total "15kgs" leaving "8kgs" for your luggage.

It was 5kg regardless of how many bags you have. So 3 totes would still be 5kg in total.

Hi Guys..
My experience travelling to and from Canberra from Mackay last week for the National Restricted Challenge.
Mackay to Canberra no problems all our two ball totes and three ball roller bags were counted as 5kg and we had no excess baggage charges.
Coming back from Canberra most of us were charged for excess baggage at $8.00 /kg despite of assurances from the Virgin Blue call centre that this wouldnt happen. All our bookings were made well before the August deadline and we all rang the call centre to make sure they were aware we were bringing heavy sporting luggage.
The reason given at the Canberra Virgin Blue check in counter was that staff had been advised that the new rules were to apply. It seems that different flights had different outcomes, maybe some staff had different understandings of what the rules actually were.
My advice is argue your rights like crazy and good luck

DEN

Some of our bowlers had trouble flying to adelaide and were charged excess.I down loaded their policy and carried that with me,the people charged excess were given a refund.The trouble is the staff are aware of the new charges but aren't aware of their policy,all tickets bought and payed for before 18th August go under old policy 5kg per bowling bag so if you got all your bowling bags through for 5kg count yourself lucky.

we had no trouble in Brisbane before heading to Canberra, however the counter staff in Canberra yesterday were going to charge us excess coming home until I showed her my email from Virgin stating that we were to be assessed as per the old policy.......then it was all smiles, and away we went!

Here is a copy of the new guidelines

http://www.virginblue.com.au/Person...erousgoods/Baggage/Oversizedbaggage/index.htm

Sports Equipment
Guidelines for Guests travelling prior to 1 September 2008, or who purchased their fare prior to 18 August 2008

Sports equipment counts as part of your free baggage allowance. Each item individually represents 5kgs of your free total baggage allowance, regardless of the actual weight of the item.

For example, a bike that weighs 10kg will represent 5kg of your free baggage allowance. If your allowance is 20kg, you will have 15kg left for other items. These items include but are not restricted to:

* Bikes
* Golf clubs
* Snow skis
* Surfboards
* Cricket/tennis bags

Guidelines for Guests who purchase their fare on or after 18 August 2008, for travel on or after 1 September 2008

If you are travelling with Sports Equipment, you will be eligible to check-in an extra 5kg of baggage allowance free of charge. This additional allowance is allocated above your purchased checked baggage allowance for Blue Saver or GO! Fares or above the inclusive checked baggage allowance for Velocity Gold and Silver Members or for Guests travelling on Flexible, Corporate Plus or Premium Economy fares.

Excess baggage charges will apply once the full allowance, including the additional 5kg allowance, has been exceeded.

If you are taking only sporting goods and you are travelling on a Blue Saver or GO! fare, you will still be required to purchase the checked baggage allowance of up to 23 kg. Remember you can pre-purchase this allowance for $8 per flight before you arrive at the airport otherwise you will be charged a $20 fee at the airport.

For example, if you have purchased a baggage allowance of 23kg, and are travelling with a bike, you will be eligible for a total checked baggage allowance of 28kg. If your bike weighs 10kg, you will be able to take additional checked baggage (such as a suitcase) weighing up to 18kg.

Sporting Equipment includes but is not restricted to:

* Bikes
* Golf clubs
* Snow skis
* Surfboards
* Cricket/tennis bags

From what I can read into to the new fares give you an extra 5kg allowance however it does not have the same clause as previously which was Each item individually represents 5kgs of your free total baggage allowance, regardless of the actual weight of the item. My guess is that the any weight equates to 5kg is out the window.

I haven't flown Virgin in a while but it will be interesting what happens when I get to the airport in 2 weeks

The new rules are easy to follow. Eg.
If i am taking 6 balls to and event you must now purchase the 23kg checked baggage, tell them you are taking sports equipment and it becomes 28kg allowable for your $8 ($20 at the airport!). When your stuff is weighed at around 45kg you are in fact 17kg over which will be charged at about $8 per kg which is $136 extra you will have to pay - each way!
So Max your a life saver for interstate events, we all should hail you!
Good luck.
Jason

It might have a different meaning. The bike analogy is not clear. However, I interpreted it this way.

The 28kg that you now have with the bike is because the originally weighed 10kg. It still counted as 5kg, however, so the total weight your allowed with the bike is 28kg. So if the bike weighed 12kg, you would actually be able to carry on 30kg. If your bowling bag weighs in at 16kg, you'd be allowed to carry 34kg. It' the difference between the weight and the 5kg that virgin pretends it weighs. Added on to the normal 23kg allowed.
I guess it depends on how many many bags you have to take. Totes, may not be the best way to travel. Those 6 ball rollers just might be the key...

Im seeing it that you used to be able to do that Steve, but from now on all it does is gives you an additional 5kg on top of the allocated limit.

From what l am led to believe (from Virgin) you pay the air fare plus $8 check in luggage which gives you 23kgs + 5kgs for sporting equipment so for me l have a 3 ball carrier that weighs 29kgs so the allowable weight is 23kgs carry on plus the 5kgs for sporting equip now comes to 28kgs so therefore l am 1kg over so l would have to pay $8 excess.. for weekend interstate comps l take a carry on bag with personals etc...so in other words my bowling balls are the only luggage l check in... hope this helps ..cheers

Just done the round trip Bris - Cairns - Alice - Melb - Syd - Bris for the Masters Games. I checked in on line (qantas) and registered my bowling gear as a 1.5m surfboard weighing 30 kg and had no trouble, Golfers on same flight had to pay excess.
Could be worth a try until they catch on

KJ

Here is a copy of the new guidelines
http://www.virginblue.com.au/Person...erousgoods/Baggage/Oversizedbaggage/index.htm
Sports Equipment
Guidelines for Guests travelling prior to 1 September 2008, or who purchased their fare prior to 18 August 2008
Sports equipment counts as part of your free baggage allowance. Each item individually represents 5kgs of your free total baggage allowance, regardless of the actual weight of the item.
For example, a bike that weighs 10kg will represent 5kg of your free baggage allowance. If your allowance is 20kg, you will have 15kg left for other items. These items include but are not restricted to:
* Bikes
* Golf clubs
* Snow skis
* Surfboards
* Cricket/tennis bags
Guidelines for Guests who purchase their fare on or after 18 August 2008, for travel on or after 1 September 2008
If you are travelling with Sports Equipment, you will be eligible to check-in an extra 5kg of baggage allowance free of charge. This additional allowance is allocated above your purchased checked baggage allowance for Blue Saver or GO! Fares or above the inclusive checked baggage allowance for Velocity Gold and Silver Members or for Guests travelling on Flexible, Corporate Plus or Premium Economy fares.
Excess baggage charges will apply once the full allowance, including the additional 5kg allowance, has been exceeded.
If you are taking only sporting goods and you are travelling on a Blue Saver or GO! fare, you will still be required to purchase the checked baggage allowance of up to 23 kg. Remember you can pre-purchase this allowance for $8 per flight before you arrive at the airport otherwise you will be charged a $20 fee at the airport.
For example, if you have purchased a baggage allowance of 23kg, and are travelling with a bike, you will be eligible for a total checked baggage allowance of 28kg. If your bike weighs 10kg, you will be able to take additional checked baggage (such as a suitcase) weighing up to 18kg.
Sporting Equipment includes but is not restricted to:
* Bikes
* Golf clubs
* Snow skis
* Surfboards
* Cricket/tennis bags
From what I can read into to the new fares give you an extra 5kg allowance however it does not have the same clause as previously which was Each item individually represents 5kgs of your free total baggage allowance, regardless of the actual weight of the item. My guess is that the any weight equates to 5kg is out the window.
I haven't flown Virgin in a while but it will be interesting what happens when I get to the airport in 2 weeks
The problem you may have is the Virgin Blue staff not understanding the guidelines.
Stand you ground and you should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom