International Press Release - Ann-Maree Putney

GBS

More than a newbie
World Tenpin Champion – Ann-Maree Putney Strikes Out.

International Press Release – Monday 6 January 2014

Australian and Novocastrian tenpin bowler Ann-Maree Putney today announced the end to her elite sporting career. “The time feels right” Putney said today to her Newcastle coach of 23 years – Geoff Bowness.

After 29 years in the sport which has taken her to more than 20 different countries and two World Championships victories, the 44 year old mother of two says she has no regrets. “I have spent the last 26 years in the Australian Team and have given my best to deliver 30 medals to Tenpin Bowling Australia across World championships, Commonwealth championships and Asian Zone championships. As part of her decision Ann-Maree will relinquish her position in the Australian TBA National Training Squad.

Her two sons now have blossoming careers in cricket and rugby league. “Their careers are now my priority” Putney said. This brings to a close all international and domestic events for the foreseeable future.

Putney’s first world title came in Abu Dhabi in 1999 when she won the FIQ World Masters, the second world title followed in 2007 in St Petersburg with a win in the QAMF Bowling World Cup. When questioned, Putney said that the highlights of her career were definitely

· winning two world championships

· winning ten Gold Medals

· winning two Lake Macquarie Sportsperson’s Awards

· and being inducted into the World Bowling Writers Hall of Fame

From the time Putney entered the game it was clear that she was dedicated to her sport. As a young junior bowler, Ann-Maree won The Sydney Junior Cup, The Melbourne Junior Cup and The Brisbane Junior Cup all in one year which said volumes for her potential. Along the way, Putney eclipsed 88 career titles, 15 - 300 games and importantly won the respect and solidarity from her local bowling fraternity and competitors alike around the world.

In signing off, Putney said “I have loved every minute of my sporting life, from the astonishing highs, to the gut wrenching lows. The camaraderie of my sporting mates is something that will be remembered forever. I will miss the “buzz” of the game and people at all levels. I just hope in some small way I have made a difference that inspires children to pick up a bowling ball and have a go. That’s what I did all those years ago. Tenpin bowling is a fantastic sport.”

Geoff Bowness
Coach and Manager to World Champion - Ann-Maree Putney

Aust TBA Level 2 Coach - ASC Approved
USBC Silver Certified Coach - IOC Endorsed
NSW TBA State Based Training Coach - TBA Approved
NSW TBA State Youth Team Coach
IBPSIA Member USA

Australian Contacts:

www.tenpinworld.com.au
email: [email protected]
Phone 0403 093 565

A true champion of the game who will be sorely missed! Someone I have looked up to since I started bowling. I wish you all the best Putts & it was a pleasure bowling against you all these years :)

I feel a bit sad to read this report, although I knew it was only a matter of time.

So pleased for you to go out in your own time.

You have been a true icon of our sport and someone worth looking up to

We wish you well in your new adventures in following the dreams of your kids

Hope we still see you around the traps.

All the best to a true champion and legend of our much loved sport

Cheers
Geoff & Janelle xx

Congratulations on a fantastic career Ann-Maree. You will be sorely missed and all the best for the future ;)

Always sad to see the legends of any sport leave their game.

Good luck Ann-Maree, thank you for all you have done to putting Australian Bowling on the world map.

Devastating news for us but you know when the time is right - ENJOY your time now with your family and see you back again in the Seniors !!!!!

It has been great to be apart of the sport of tenpin bowling to be able to know and be friends with Ann Maree Putney. It has been a pleasure to have been traveling the country and the world competing with and against AMP and there has been some fantastic and fun times.

To have her experience in Team NSW for the Rachuig competition and be a team mate for most of her 300+ games (for NSW) and Rachuig Championship victories plus 3 trips with Australia was a great feeling to be bowling along side AMP in these greatest moments.

I know your proud of your achievements and victories around the world and you have been a true ambassador and icon of the sport of bowling worldwide. The history, records and memories will continue and I thank you for being one of my inspirations to achieve results and representative honours in the sport we all love.

All the best for the future.

Cheers
Christian Purdue

Thank you Ann Marie. You are now entering a time of your life that is very fulfilling. Thank you for allowing me to watch you bowl with and against my daughter and give me the pride and satisfaction you are about to realise. Congratulations on a great career.

Phillip Allen

Sad news. Congats on a fantastic career Anne Marie. One of the greats of tenpin bowling. Will be sadly missed. Was always a pleasure whenever got to watch you bowl.

All the best for whatever the future holds.

6 years time you'll be a youngster in the senior ranks.

If not the best ever you are certainly in the top 3 - a wonderful career AMP but not just because of what you have won - your career was outstanding because of how you represented your country. A final well done to Geoff also - a great man to have in your corner.

Steve Jones

AMP....One of the great ambassadors for our sport World Wide, 1999, wow 14 years ago now since we were team mates in Abu Dhabi & being there for your masters win was a great highlight, you have been & will be remembered for one of the greats of Aussie bowling
I wish you all the best for the future, whatever it brings
Take Care
Colin Hunt

Congratulations on a great career AMP. You left the sport while still at the peak of your powers and that is all the more credit to you. Enjoy the time with your kids and their upcoming careers.

Hey Putts, Sad to hear of your retirement, and here I was waiting to bowl in a Seniors Team with you LOL... Good luck to you and your boys, will miss seeing your happy face around the traps. Richo

I have watched Ann Maree grace the lanes & tournament scene for the last 30 years.Our sport has been the better for her presence & outstanding achievements. Her character always shone through with her unfailingl sportsmanship,friendliness & smiles to competitors & spectators.
She was the best example of why many men did not want women to compete In our tournaments....... She beat us! Best wishes to a wonderful lady, When you are old enough ( a long time) will you sub for me in Senior tournaments?
Tony Murray.

Back
Top Bottom