Inflation

tenpinyo

and no im not talkin about the economy and rising interest rates...

im talking about leagues and tournaments around the country where suddenly the gap between process and result has been so widely dispersed that it seems to be causing headaches and arguements everywhere and i felt we needed a forum to discuss this...Carl Bottomly ave 265 over 8 games? George averages 250 at last years AO? Paul Terry ave 237 for 18 games at the Senior AO? Matt Riley ave 240 and doesnt win a skin at the Anzac Day Skins event? not to forget the scores at the recent Junior Nats..

now in a league where only 3 or 4 games are bowled 750+ and 1000+ series are now the norm where ppl can ave 250 without blinking and i know for myself where i only ave 170 at the recent sports series that Belmo won yet am averaging close to 230 in 2 leagues at AMF North Strathfield...

One can only think that these inflated scores are not only hurting our sport but also affecting tournament turnouts and realistic visions and goals...

feel free to burn and discuss

It is called progress and it is the same for all. If it was unfair it would be an issue but it isn't.

I am sick of hearing people complain about high scores and how easy it is. None of these people throw a consistent 250+ average so there is room for improvement and for ability to shine through in tournaments.

Get a life and get over it.

It is called progress and it is the same for all. If it was unfair it would be an issue but it isn't.
I am sick of hearing people complain about high scores and how easy it is. None of these people throw a consistent 250+ average so there is room for improvement and for ability to shine through in tournaments.

If it were the same for all then it would be fair, now the nearest centre to me is 85km away and let me tell you its the poorest scoring centre in Australia as far as i'm concerned. My average there is 154, my Melbourne tourny average this year is around 204 a 50 pin variation so the question still stands
Are scores inflated at centres to attract bowlers from other centres in the Metro areas. Most Country centre are to far apart for us bowlers to have a choice and get top conditions.

Grumpy

Just curious what is the oil ratio for everone's home centres for their house shot? I'm pretty sure Kirwan's is a 6:1. How easy are things out there?

Give me a sports condition any day of the week. At least I know if I throw a high score, I've earned it. It wasn't the result of a centre wanting to try and keep bowlers egos up by giving them a free ride to the pocket.

Some of the scores thrown recently make me want to throw up.

Your post suggests you would be one of the people Tonx is talking about, lol.

---

Our center is easy, but not easy enough for someone to average close to 230. We rarely have people averaging 220 in our leagues. If we had a kegel or some other computerised oilling technique, I'm sure our pattern would be more consistent & result in higher scores.
However, I'm of the opinion that a bit of variety helps bowlers grow. This is suggested by the fact that our center is always winning our regional country challenge event, because we lay a crown, but other centers around here are laying flat or blocked conditions, hence our bowlers can adjust, but other centers bowlers struggle as we move center to center.
I know country challenge is hardly an event to compare, but its one of few tournaments northern NSW has (not including championships)

I think that proprietors are holding a double edged sword. For people who satisfy their bowling purely through league want an easy pattern they can score on. It may make them feel like a good bowler. But competitive tournament bowlers are after something to hone their skills. We know right from the start that if a challenging pattern is laid, the possibility of losing bowlers is higher than laying an easy condition people can learn on AND score well on. But if the scoring is too easy, that center gets looked down on for being so easy, catering for its league bowlers, etc etc, the list goes on.

The keyword here is consisitency, with lane conditions technology has made this far easier to achieve which means a lot less 'nasty' pairs and more good scores. The balls do more to aid high scoring though. I still want to see a tourney on a cake shot where you cant use reactives or particle, leave the oil pattern alone and change the balls for true 'sport' bowling!!

One of my major points was that there is less need for an accurate shot it seems...when u can just throw it to the edge and watch it come back no matter how many revs you have hence my example of the recent sports series where we bowled on the US Open pattern...u had 1 -2 boards to work with and if u missed forget about it...compared to league and some tournaments where u have upwards of 5+ boards and suddenly you shooting at an area rather than a target

"perspective" is the magic word here people. House conditions provide the ability to socre without requiring any skill or effort. Sports conditions require skill and effort in order to score.

Now if it is about ego then most would go for the house condition but like most of the people who venture out to bowl in sports series or ranked events I prefer the sports condition.

You guys do realise that you can have a sports pattern and still have a score fest right??
The PWBA were using Sports Patterns, some tournaments no one made the card, some tournaments ou needed like 220+ to make match play.
The same goes for Ratios on the Kegel Sheets. It doesn't always tell you what you have. We have run patterns that were 2:1 complient on the kegel ratio, but when you run tapes they were closer to 5:1.

I think Adrian has it right, get rid of the balls. Go back to hard case balls, where accuracey, speed, consistancey and ADJUSTMENT were the fundamentals to having a great game. Were shot making and spare shooting were critical. I realise that won't happen, yeah that's the way the game has evolved, but there are a lot of people out there that complain about lanes and stuff, that don't fully realise how much easier the game is compaired to 20 years ago even.

100% correct AKDEFL..the technology change in this sport and others [golf is one that is a reasonable comparison] over the past 20 years or so has exploded scoring. Sure training and certain physical and mental sciences have improved the player - but NOT to the degree scoring has progressed. Of course a return to hardcase balls and downplaying certain other technolgies would be a way to restoring the need for accuracy etc etc - but as you say, of course, this won't happen for all the commercial reasons we know to be true. Golf extended the length of it's premier courses to tighten up scoring over recent years - bowling needs to tighten up conditions - certainly there has been a move along that line - but not to any degree that will seriously impact on the scoring explosion. Frankly, I doubt it will ever happen to any degree universally.

Plus golf(well the royal and aincent and USGA anyway) has banned some clubs and balls over the yrs. Some people thought bowling might have gone down that path when the System of Bowling first came about in 1991. A few manufactuers of balls pins and lane coatings were preparing to 'take a hit' but of course only lane conditioning rules got changed(surprise surprise!!)

Back
Top Bottom