Question for "Fringe" bowlers...

tonx

Here is a question to those that love bowling bigger tournaments, but more often than not, are donating to the prize fund, or just cashing in the last few spots. I think these are reffered to these days as "Fringe bowlers".

Do you guys look at a tournament where the top 10-15 average 230-250, and think to yourself;

"I want to bowl these events, because they are high scoring. I may average 200, but I will finish 50th"

or

"There is no way in hell I would average 250 in my lifetime over 30 games, even if I get extremely lucky, so I won't bowl"

On the flipside, do you look at a tournament where the top 10-15 bowlers averaged 200-210 and think to yourself;

"I want to bowl these events, as I know I can realistically average 210 by making good shots and sparing on a condition, so I am a realistic chance if I bowl well to finish high"

or

"I don't want to bowl these events, because I might average 10-20 pins below my league average. I may still cash, but I don't want to average 180"

Which are your thoughts, and why?

None of the above, cant afford to thinking about what the scoring level 'might' or 'should' be while i'm working.

I love to bowl the events that prove a challenge. I don't make cut often but I am happy if I think I bowled well , got my release right and eventually worked out the condition. I think that when the top bowlers average 230 -250 us underlings can still average 200-210 & feel good about the way we bowled but it is a greater challenge on a tougher condition.

I don't worry about what the other bowlers can and do average in these events - I bowl (in what I can) because I learn something every time I enter, be it about my own game, or someone elses'.

If I worried about making the cut and/or some money, then I would never bowl in anything - and neither would Jagga. The only thing that stops me from having a go is the entry fees - it's one thing to have 10 games at $17 a pop, (especially when I can get an hour's practice on lanes with pins for $14 :D ), but no way would I dream of wasting $250 on a tournament entry because for me, it would be flushing good money down the drain. You don't learn anything if you don't have a go, but you have to be realistic in most instances......:surrender:

Broni

None of the options. Can't afford to flush good money down the drain, full stop.

But if I could afford it, I'd bowl in every tournament that gave out ranking points. Yeh, I could get my name in the rankings list:rolleyes:

Tonx, tonx, tonx,

Love the topic and my question is directed at your goodself. What about you? I do believe that you as well contributed to the prize fund...:) But did you know that before you threw your 1st ball?

But in all fairness, you forgot 1 very important section... "How about the love for the game" Yeah, its expensive, but if you got the dough, then why not.

I consider myself as a good bowler and never in a million years I would call myself a fringe bowler. Bowling is a sport for anyone and I love mine.

Hell, I enter every tournament with an outside chance of winning. Does it really matter what the other bowler may average. I play my own game and if the gods line up all the planets and my game clicks on the day, then who knows.

I avergaged 245 in a skins tourney which you were a part of and I was not even trying.

But 1 thing for sure that we all may agree on, elite bowlers get better because they put out the hard yards and practice and practice. Thats the only way to get better. But not all people have the funds to do so.

My thoughts Tonx, and I'll see you in a couple of weeks and try not to be a prizemoney donator :)

Leo

I enter any tournament with a clean mind(even tho what i can do on the lane is limited).. anybody can be beaten tho, i dont give up until i know i cant make the cut, which is around the 6th-7th game but i try new things and you never know what will happen... i know i have only entered 3 ranked youth tournaments but i have gotten better after everysingle one i have gone into, cause i have learnt new things and gotten that little bit better.... its a very expensive way to learn but i reckon its the best way.. average wise i dont really care what i ave cause i'm still only learning.

With the MTC i put that thought in my head of the chances of me scoring as good as Belmo and George are unlikely so i wont bother. Glad i didn't from what i've been told on the condition.
But other tornaments i will go in with a positive attitude and concentrate on my accuracy and spares, after all that's what makes the rest of you game if you can keep on striking.
My goal is to keep going no matter what and when the lanes start to break down thats when i can kick in, just need to keep close.

Well said Leo. On our day we can achieve BIG SCORES. But the majority of the time we will just cash or make up the numbers.I have better things to spend $300 plus on thats for sure.Cheers Ralph.(aka Mr Holdem) Bring on the Sports Series.

I would prefer the shot to be difficult and the top 10-15 avg about 200-210.... simply because i don't enjoy bowling in a carry fest and i know by throwing disciplined games i can avg around the cut mark.
R

I remember Steve Mackie saying to me, when you start averaging 195 - 200, start to enter tournaments.I found playing against the better bowlers inproved my ave. I was lucky, I didn't have to pay for practice games,the rest is history.I still practiced around 50 to 100 games a week. Thats how I improved, plus spending a little time in the States with the Weber family really helped.
Lovey

If I could afford it and had the time I would bowl every day, but unfortunately things just don't always seem to work out that way for me. I prefer to bowl in the tournaments with the big guns just to improve my own game. I have found that when bowling against those who are better than me (which is certainly a lot of people), I tend to lift my game and even on the rare occasion even come out with some extra cash. It's just the overall experience for me. Oh yeah, and for the love of the sport.

I am certainly a fringe bowler,an most times i know that i'm only there to line someone elses pocket,thats not a negative attitude,just a realization that i am not as good as the top bowlers.
But the reason i go in to these things is because i know that i can bowl big games,its just that i am not as consistant as the better bowlers,but bowling against them pushes me to bowl better,an 1 day i will cash out,its all experience,the more you do it,the better you get.

johnnyb

For me, it's all about the experience. Every tourney I bowl, no matter whether it's junior, youth, or even adult, I like the fact that for every tournament I bowl, the more experience and knowledge I will have.

I find this happens for me especially when I bowl Youth tourneys. I walk away at the end of the day knowing that I have given it a great shot, and even if I don't make the next round or 2, I know that next time I'll have more and more backup knowledge on what to do when I'm out there on the lanes.

The higher the benchmark, the higher you can set your goals. I find for me personally that by starting off slowly and gradually aiming higher and higher, it will help me out in the long run. If I'm not bowling as great, I try to do what it takes to make the next round, and whether that's setting an average like 190-200, then I'll be happy knowing I've achieved what I set out to do. Sometimes it's the little goals that make the big difference.

Some of the wisest words I've been told for my game were these...

"If you say that they are hard to beat, then they've already won". I think that if you truly believe that you can achieve what you want to achieve, then you are well on the way to getting there.

Ciao Now

Rowey :p

Ciao Now

Rowey :p

Lovey's on the money. Practice and playing better players are keys to becoming a better bowler. I used to donate in events. Then after working out how much better I had to be, I went away and practiced... A LOT. And I made an effort to practice the right things. Find knowledgeable people to practice with who whip your butt. You'll get better!

Back
Top Bottom