How far does a bowling pin have to tilt before it falls ?

How far does a bowling pin have to tilt before it falls over ?

• Total voters
The answer can only be theoretical because of the affect of the pin spinning (being rotated) by being hit. The answer is that, all other considerations excluded, the the pin will fall when a plumb line from the centre of gravity of the pin is outside the area of its base.

We recently got a new Qubica scoring system installed, & it snapshots the pins whilst it scores.
About 2 weeks ago, the system snapshotted a league bowlers pin falling. The cool thing is, being that it was a late pin, it appeared on the screen at about 60 degrees. Any who back on topic. I'm surprised it's only 11 degrees, I could swear I've had pins lean further than this.

I remember listening to the PBA telecast years ago and they said 9 degrees is the point of no return, is there a definitive answer?

as far as the tbal rule book is concerened TBAL Rule 108 Pinfall Legal, (page 7 TBAL rule book Ver 7.1 28/11/07) legal pinfall.
5 "Following a legal delivery, pins that are to be credited to a player, termed dead wood and to be removed before the next delivery shall include
A. Pins which are knocked down or off the pin deck by the ball or another pin
B. Pins which are knocked down by a pin rebounding from the side partition or rear cushion
C. Pins which are knocked down or off the pin deck by a pin rebounding from thge sweep bar when it is at rest on the pin deck, before sweeping dead wood from the pin deck.

the words we are looking at are knock down, so, it is my intereptation that this means complete kncoked over, laying on its side, and no longer standing on it's base.

so, in answer to the qestion, aboiut 90 degrees or more, as this will not allow the pin to be on its base at all in a standing position.

Milena

lol, that is all nicely posted in an attempt to sound intelligent. Perhaps next time you should read the topic and answer what is actually asked.

lol, that is all nicely posted in an attempt to sound intelligent. Perhaps next time you should read the topic and answer what is actually asked.

lol, and that was posted a couple of months back, ohhh only about 36 of them I suppose. Perhaps next time you should read a bit more carefully and useless posts like the one quoted above won't appear here on TB.

Hmmmm. :(

Enough degrees that it doesn't remain standing..?

I always thought 9° too... But with knocked about locking rings on the base, it can vary a lot in reality.

I had it in mind that it was about 6.5° but as that's not one of the choices I'm obviously wrong. Milena's answer was spot on though - it we could give rep points then that'd earn a few.

Back
Top Bottom