How far does a bowling pin have to tilt before it falls ?

How far does a bowling pin have to tilt before it falls over ?

• Total voters

Graham

Staff member
As the poll says ... How far does a bowling pin have to tilt before it falls over ?

This isnt a test .. just login and select your answer .. Ill reveal all on Friday :)

Well surely that's dependant on the pin being brand new. And also dependant on it not having been rounded a little more at the base.

Of course that couldn't happen in Queensland.

Don't know which of those is correct - according to PBA rules some years ago it was deemed that a pin must fall if it tilts 9°Degrees off its axis.
Like I say, this was back in the days of Bo and Chris Schenkel doing the shows on ABC in the US - so it may have changed since then.

Ha ha..yea i think most people will find that pins (especially the 10 pin..lol) tend to defy the laws of Physics and stand no matter how much they tilt. You can knock the stupid pin across the lane (well, not all the way across but across) and still leave it standing. But I guess that's what makes it all so fun... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yea Hamish mostly i get carry...and i dont need to fall on my ass to do it either :p :p :lol: :lol: But it's all good dude.

For years I thought it was 8.5 degrees as posted on the PBA forum several years back. I would challenge there findings, I know its only 1 degree but hey, theres no messing around with science!

Left handed math????

8.5......11.....only one degree difference......no doubt about the lefties.....just when you think that they might be sort of human, one of their representatives comes out with a statement like this?????
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock: :twisted: :twisted:

TENPIN SPECIFICATIONS
SPECIFICATIONS
(Specification) ((Maximum)) (((Minimum)))
Height 15" (15.000") ((15.031")) (((14.969")))
*Hole Depth (Standard, not specification) 2" ((2.031")) (((1.969")))
Hole Size 27/64" ( 0.422") ((0.453")) (((0.406")))
Cup Diameter 3/4" ( 0.750") ((0.781")) (((0.734")))
Radius at Base 5/32" ( 0.156") ((0.187")) (((0.125")))
Center of Gravity 550/64" ( 5.781") ((5.937)) (((5.625")))
Radius of Gyration 3.727" ((3.821")) (((3.633")))
Moisture Content ((12%)) (((6%)))
Source WIBC ABC Equipment Spec's
Specs make no reference to pin fall tilt
Base radius is also important @ .156
Greg Robertson
National Facilities Manager
Amf Bowling Centres Australia

I always thought just over 7 degrees, so 7.5 is a fit. In most cases for my spares, they slide off the deck anyway :p

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbIpIQZe8DY"]YouTube - Bowling Pin Stands Back Up[/ame]
by looking at this footage i would say > 30 degrees ;)

as far as the tbal rule book is concerened TBAL Rule 108 Pinfall Legal, (page 7 TBAL rule book Ver 7.1 28/11/07) legal pinfall.
5 "Following a legal delivery, pins that are to be credited to a player, termed dead wood and to be removed before the next delivery shall include
A. Pins which are knocked down or off the pin deck by the ball or another pin
B. Pins which are knocked down by a pin rebounding from the side partition or rear cushion
C. Pins which are knocked down or off the pin deck by a pin rebounding from thge sweep bar when it is at rest on the pin deck, before sweeping dead wood from the pin deck.

the words we are looking at are knock down, so, it is my intereptation that this means complete kncoked over, laying on its side, and no longer standing on it's base.

so, in answer to the qestion, aboiut 90 degrees or more, as this will not allow the pin to be on its base at all in a standing position.

Milena

Back
Top Bottom