How did you get into Tenpin?

Toshio

Videogame Master!
As the topic of this post says:

"How did you get into Tenpin?"

Well my story is that my parents were both bowlers, they used to travel to Sydney to bowl, before the bowl here in Orange opened up.

So I was pretty much raised to be a bowler.

What's the go with everybody else?

Yahoo

My brother-inlaw took me bowling on my 8th birthday in 1970 and have been hooked ever since.

I just bowled socially once a month or so and I just decided to join a league about 2 or 3 yrs ago thats about my whole bowling story my parents weren't bowlers or anything 8)

The parents of a good friend of mine owned the local bowling alley, so i thought i'd give it a go in year 7 just for some fun. Boy am i glad i did! :D
Imagine life without bowling... it's a scary thought!

and wot a bowler you have turned out to be yahoo, my greatest rival lol.
i go into bowling threw school, i do home schooling and when they asked me to find a sport to do i went for tenpin and i fell in love with the sport. :D

Saw it on TV in 1989 when i was 5, told my dad "I wanna do this!!!" then went into Cannington the next weekend and started in the saturday morning junior league there. Been bowling ever since.

It all started in the 70's when My Grandparents started bowling. They took my father, Simon Commane, bowling and he liked it so he started league. He bowled 2 Shields and won a State Masters. During his years of Shield he became good friends with Simon Gourlay and met my mum who is also originally a Gourlay. One thing led to another over the years and my father ended up marrying young Jeanine Gourlay. My father gave up bowling to start a family when I was about 3. When I was about 7 or 8 my father got me into Bowling and brought me my first ball, an 8 pound Ebonite Maxim. I then just kept at it for a while but lost interest after a bit so my father placed me into a league in 1999. The league was saturday sleepers and my first team was called "New Age Outlaws". 6 years later I hold a 200+ average that I have maintained for nearly a year now, a 299 and 8 Sub 700 series'. Thanks Father and that's how I got into bowling. So therefore if it wasn't for bowling, I wouldn't be alive.

Peace
Chris

I actually was injured when I was about 12 years old, I had a cracked pelvis which required surgery that I couldn't get until I had stopped growing. So I basically had to stop all the sports I played and found a new one in tenpin bowling. Ironically my best mate at school had started bowling pretty much the week before so I joined him and have been going strong ever since!

Birthday party when i was 10!

Bowled in juniors for about 2 years before i was forced to choose between bowling and baseball. Chose baseball for 3 years before starting up bowling again at around 15.
Started back in an adult league with my family and have been bowling ever since.

There are times when i'm not sure why i love the game but most of the time i'm not sure what i'd do without it.

Family involvement with Sponsors League at Moonah Bowl from around 1970-71.
I started going to watch my aunty bowling in the league in 1977 where all the ladies would look after me, got absolutely hooked on the game from a very tender age.
Got a set of skittles and used a baseball as a bowling ball, one of the labourers at the giant cordial factory that overlooked my home knocked up at a little masking unit and kick backs out of old CHEP pallets.
Played thousands and thousands of games in the loungeroom down here.

Lost interest in it as football took over my childhood, but by the age of 8 (1983) I started back playing skittles again, and then shortly after took up real bowling.
Still played a bit of footy here and there, but bowling was my passion and still is.
Still play in Sponsors League - have done from 1990-2005 and apart from a 3 month break in 2000, and a 6 month injury lay-off last year, have played continuously since 1983.
Won a State Masters and a few other tournaments, played a couple of Shield's, bowled a 300 and average around 204 at the moment.

When I injured myself last August and faced the prospect of not being able to play again, I was pretty gutted.

Humble beginnings that were a hell of a lot of fun :)

Christmas holidays in 2000-2001 we went bowling at Warrawong. Some old lady person thing that worked there goes to my dad "Your girls really look like the enjoy bowling..." and gave us about 47 different brochures on the sport.
Went home I asked mum if I could bowl soshe rang around and then like when school went back, we went in there andI was put into the Pinbreakers league, which at the time was a new league...never forget the first time I met Frawlz, Im like "OMG how tall are you.." lol.
Anyways, 4 years later...Im still bowling and love it a lot.

Well my story is the Old Man used to travel around Australia and build bowling centres in Victoria, NSW and Qld. Too many for me to even remember or name but we did move to Nowra in 1985 to build that bowl and Manage it for a while so thats where I first got my taste of the sport.

I used to play badminton and a group of us went bowling one Saturday night at Chadston for some fun. One of the staff approached us about joining a league and being the fun loving sporting people we were, we gave it a go.

Met this guy in the league and we have just celebrated our 14th wedding anniversary !!!!

Liz

Had a mate come down for Gippsland over school holidays, were bored shit-less, Granny suggested we go down for a bowl.

Then got sucked in with free bowling/sign-up day, shot a 180 in the free game, got told 'that was aiight' (me being a big head thought this game is as easy as throwing the ball as hard as possible at the headpin).

1 week later had me locked in to a jnr ball league, which made me realise that bowling is more than just finding a ball that fits your fingers and throwing it hard at the headpin.

3 weeks later, bought a 16pound plastic ball from my uncle and shot a 220something that week by throwing it hard at the headpin.

Come to think of it, bowling is just throwing it really hard at the headpin!!!

Kids started, hubby started - I just sat and watched, and watched, and watched. After about 2 years I got sick of just sitting and watching them so I started - whats the saying - if you cant beat them you may as well join em. I can beat them occasionally.... very occasionally.

Wouldn't know what to do now without bowling ruling our lives. Would be a lot richer financially but ........ wouldn't have met so many wonderful people in the bowling world, a lot stronger mentally (But still hate those 10 pins) and a great family activity.

My first time Bowling was when i was 2 can't remember where but was at the Adult Nats when my dad was bowling for Victoria and when i was 5 i joined a league at the old chadstone bowl and that was the same time i started doing athletics and tennis and then at the age of 9 or 10 my dad bought be a 10 pound ball that would hook a little bit then quit tennis 2 yrs ago and stayed with athletics and bowling and represent my state at both and hold the second fastest time in 100 hurdles for under 16 but i prefer bowling over any sport any day and now i hold a 200 average.
Theres My Say
Bored Out of My Skull so i thought i would say something in this topic.
Chris

with my cousin and his best mate beack in 1988 , i was 9 ......................... met my hubby through bowling............now our son bowls he is 4 has a 6lb red cruzer , and boy can he get some hook on that ball :shock: must take after his old man :lol: give it 6 months and i can only guess our 2 year old daughter will start bumpers :D

I'd be lost today without bowling and i guess i really enjoy my job too! in a bowling centre! :D

mine simple really
i went bowling with probablly my best friend bill galka,this was my first time and i thought i would just go plain crap.Funnily enough i won the damn game against bill(a casual bowler at the time)and some friends.I knew i had a natural talent for the sport so i kept going and going and going......
AND IM STILL GOING!!!

later :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom