Good heavy oil balls, what do you recommend

L

LuckyStrike

Im looking at the Total NV and the Black Widow, anyone know anything more aggressive then those two balls?

T-Road solid...got everything for a mid price ball, Lanemasters World Class particle if you want to spend a little more. May be discontinued though.

if u are looking for a ball that would hook anywhere

visionarys AMB Particle is hook in a box and is great in the real heavy oil
another ball ive seen go well in the heavy oil is the brunswick fury.

Take a look at the Brunswick BVP Mammoth.

www.brunswickbowling.com

The Mammoth features the Rocket Core and Activator high load particle coverstock which is factory sanded to 400 grit.

There are not too many balls on the market that will out hook the Mammoth.

Have a look at the Ebonite NVS. This ball is even more aggressive then the Total NV. Contact Andrew at Bowlers Basement and I am sure he will help you out.

Matt

Lane#1 G Force, genuine heavy oil ball that has an aggressive roll.... The AMB Particle from VBP is also great, but i don't think you would get a lot of conditions where you'll need that ball... good to keep in the bag anyway!
R

It comes back to the question, What is hook!

There are 2 kinds of hook perceived in a balls motion. Hook in oil, and hook in dry. Hook in oil is what we generally see most with lower grit particle loading surfaces. Compare these types of balls with soft racing tyres with silica loading.

They are designed to offer traction throughout the front part of the lane, and TONE down the reaction from wet to dry. They can also help a speed dominant bowler from blowing through the breakpoint. You will not visually see high load particle balls cross alot of boards.

The balls you have suggested, are not high load particle bowling balls. The Black widow is a solid reactive, and the Total NV is a pearl Reactive. Both are finished in a high grit cover OOB. Both balls are designed to react strongly to FRICTION on the lane. Where there is not alot of friction (ie: in heavy oil), they are not going to hook very much at all.

Are you looking for hook in the front part of the lane, and a smooth backend reaction, or are you looking for a big snapping hook in the backend part of the lane?

i like the storm vertigo. rolled my highest legit game 264 with it after about a year of bowling. 7 months of reactive...

I'll agree with the devil- the storm vertigo is superb in heavy oil, in fact it's an absolute pig of a thing to throw without heavy oil. The storm special agent and secret agent are also great heavy oil pieces, the secret agent being a little more versatile with its hybrid coverstock. The hammer black widow is an awesome ball, but I'm not convinced it's a genuine heavy oil piece- you would need a very specific drilling and surface set up to match the pattern you were bowling on. But as tonx said- consider the type of reaction you want to friction, and the overall shape of the ball as well. Driling plays a big part in setting up a good heavy oil ball. I don't throw ebonite gear, so I can't really give you a recommendation from their line- but good luck with your quest.

cat

Yeah, the vertigo is around a year old- uses storm's RAD+ weight block. I picked one up from Max (BBA) about 2 months ago and it's just awesome.

Could be a little difficult to track down a new one I guess, but well worth the effort if you find one. They're a pretty unique ball.

cat

Yeah, the vertigo is around a year old- uses storm's RAD+ weight block. I picked one up from Max (BBA) about 2 months ago and it's just awesome.

Could be a little difficult to track down a new one I guess, but well worth the effort if you find one. They're a pretty unique ball.

cat

Release date January 2005 :)

But seriously if you want traction in oil...look at high load particle balls, but if you want big booming back end, theres a million balls that will give you that. The trick is to match up to the condition with the right ball and drilling.

Nm, Tonx just said all that!

Cheers, I'm stuck in 2006... ;)

And personally, not a huge fan of particle coverstocks- so perhaps a little biased toward solid reactives... Anyway, that's my problem :)

cat

this is a list of balls i have found on the net with the heavy oil range in them
as follows
LANE #1
.Solid Uranium
.G-Force
EBONITE
.NVS
.Total NV
.Angular One
HAMMER
.No Mercy Beatn
STORM
.Paradigm Passion
TRACK
.The Rising
VISIONARY
.AMB Particle
thats what i could find hope it helps you out even if some balls on the list are old

this is a list of balls i have found on the net with the heavy oil range in them
as follows
LANE #1
.Solid Uranium
.G-Force
EBONITE
.NVS
.Total NV
.Angular One
HAMMER
.No Mercy Beatn
STORM
.Paradigm Passion
TRACK
.The Rising
VISIONARY
.AMB Particle
thats what i could find hope it helps you out even if some balls on the list are old

Dunno about the angular one, ive seen that squirt badly on a medium/heavy condition with minimal carrydown.

When does the rising come out?

brunswick fury this ball is a monster in oil dont think much would out perform it on oil

brunswick fury this ball is a monster in oil dont think much would out perform it on oil :luke

Total agree with luke the fury will never stray u iv seen about 5 of these balls people bowling with it vary from crankers to stokers one of the best oil balls iv seen with CONTROL

as follows
LANE #1
.Solid Uranium
.G-Force
EBONITE
.NVS
.Total NV
.Angular One
HAMMER
.No Mercy Beatn
STORM
.Paradigm Passion
TRACK
.The Rising
VISIONARY
.AMB Particle
Pretty good list

Storm Special Agent - It's the nut on long oil as it reads the backend predictably with strength. No mad jerk off the breakpoint here. It moves like a particle ball off the break and continues like the solid cover that it is. It's an absolute killer from deep inside. Out carries anything I've seen on a wet backend too.

If you particularly want a particle ball, the Secret Agent is out now too. Haven't drilled one yet, as we don't see that much soup around Australia.

T-Road Solid is another great ball. Belmo averaged 249 in matchplay at NSW Open with one, so it can't be too shabby. Doesn't hook as much or as early as the Special Agent. Same cover stock (R2S), but different RG cores make for different length breakpoints.

I have a Special Agent and have reviewed it thoroughly on this site. My next ball is a T-Road Solid to complement it. Hopefully this week as James has sold my ball AGAIN! (Insert long string of expletives here...)

Someone also mentioned the Paradigm Passion. A very big piece. And let's not forget the original Paradigm, which out-hooks every damn thing I've ever seen, but only when there's hook there.

But as you've probably guessed, I'm going to say Special Agent over them all. On heavy oil, you want roll and control over everything. The Special Agent does just that and cracks a rack to boot. It's a money ball.

Back
Top Bottom