Gold allround for team event in Hong Kong

Bee...!

Living the dream!!!
if you all didn't know by now australia has won gold in the teams event in hong kong.
Both boys and girls won.
I spoke to Jayde about an hour ago and they are all really excited and happy.
What a great acheivement for the bowlers and management.
I wish i had of been there.

media Release from Lyne Clay

"Newsflash # 9 – 12th Asian Youth Tenpin Bowling Championships –
Boys and Girls 4-person Teams

SCAA Bowling Centre, Hong Kong – Saturday, February 14, 2004

The Australian Girls team of Toni Woodcock, Michelle Halprin, Clair Johnston and Jayde Flanagan sprang out of the box at the start of today’s Teams event and didn’t look back, winning Gold with a 98 pin lead over Korea and 194 ahead of Japan. A concerted push by the Malaysian girls put them in medal contention mid-way through the event, only to be overtaken by Korea and Japan in the last game.

215.5 and 209.7 averages over the six-game event by Aussies Jayde Flanagan and Toni Woodcock tipped the scales for the Green and Gold. “The girls are firing well” said Coach Cheryl Munson prophetically at the end of the first block on short oil this morning. “I told them today they have to go hard into the second block and with the quality and ability of the bowlers we have here, I’d be very disappointed if we didn’t come home with a medal after today” she said. “They’ve worked very well as a team and I think the only thing that’s been missing this week has been their self-confidence” she added.

In the Boys division, Korea and Guam shot to first and second place in Game 1 but from Game 2 onwards the strong Australian Boys team grimly held the lead despite a strong run by Korea and Malaysia, with the Thailand and Guam teams also in contention in the first block. Following the change of lane condition to Long oil, Korea and Malaysia jockeyed for Silver and Bronze throughout the last three games. The Malaysian boys prevailed, winning Silver with a 117 pin margin and to the delight of the local supporters, the Hong Kong team stormed home to finish 8 pins ahead of Korea, for Bronze. A stunning 1492 series and 248.7 average over the six games by ABF’s top ranked bowler, Wu Siu Hong from Hong Kong was a highlight of today’s play.

Full scores and photo gallery on Asian Bowling Federation website – www.abf-online.org
Ends
For further information, contact ABF Media Director, Lynne Clay via email on [email protected] or phone +61 419 444 280"

Ian Nicholls

Back
Top Bottom