Global Warming and Greenhouse Effects

Basically it's saying that man-made greenhouse emmissions account for bugger all compared with NATURAL greenhouse gases - and they can't be controlled. I certainly don't believe in abusing the planet, but I know that it's being talked up something huge, and it's misleading. You can pick a thousand holes in Al Gore's documentary "An Inconvenient Truth".

I believe the planet should be looked after and forests preserved, etc, but I'm not going to ride a bike 50km to work either.

The site also neglects to mention the fundamental differences between the mechanism by which the two greenhouse gases (water and CO2) affect the temperature of the planet. The study appears to be a deliberate attempt to mislead the public with fancy graphs.

The bottom line with global warming is that no-one really knows for sure that the APPARENT warming of the Earth is caused by human activity or not. However, IF the planet is warming up (and this in itself is still not conclusively established, although it seems more likely than not) we still don't know if rising CO2 levels are to blame. The atmosphere has enough CO2 to be opaque to IR radiation anyway, but increased levels increase the residence time of IR photons in the atmosphere before they escape to space. There are other, far more mundane explainations for the apparent temperature increases and glacial retreat at the poles, but since they are linked to problems that no-one is willing to fix they are not promoted much. Blaming CO2 levels is easy, and everyone gets to feel noble by turning down the a/c.

Um...
Decrease in antarctic ice cover:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4228411.stm

I am usually suspicious of articles that quote the results of the 'latest studies' without providing any way of checking said studies. YMMV.

In any case, it seems unequivocal that the north polar ice sheets are retreating rapidly. One would expect the sheer thermal inertia of the antarctic ice sheet to slow down any melting processes in that region.

One explanation, completely removed from the Greenhouse Effect, is that the increase in atmospheric pollution since the Industrial Revolution in Europe has decreased the albedo of the ice sheet. Dirty ice heats up faster in the sun, so melts more efficiently. Since ice cores have been used to measure atmospheric pollution, the muck is obviously there, and even a tiny increase in heat absorption would send the snowline North fairly quickly. As the glaciers flow, the dirty layer gets thicker and thicker, until 200 year old ice bottoms out. The effect would be greatest in the Northern Hemisphere, which seems to be the case, and in areas along the prevailing winds from industrialised areas, which from the the very little research I've done seems to be the case too.

Dirty ice is so very unromantic, though. :D

Believe it or not, one of the anti-Greenhouse schemes involved carpet bombing the open oceans with trace nutrients like chelated iron. By and large, the oceans are deserts, not enough essential minerals to support lots of plankton. Increasing nutrients should result in algae explosions, which fix lots of carbon and then sink. The by-products (more fish) should be useful, too.

I agree with your thoughts Robbie. However, a study of the research into climate change and global warming appears to be selective in their findings. An example: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/tyne/5283278.stm

What I am most concerned about is the correlation between global warming and the supposed contribution of greenhouse gases to this outcome. I conclude without hesitation that a push blaming CO2 emmissions contributions to the greenhouse effect is absurd. CO2 is such a small component of greenhouse gas that, if greenhouse gases are THE cause of global warming, then CO2 is statistically insignificant.

My belief is that global warming has more to do with solar flares and solar radiation, the same as weather is essentially correlated to the Madden Julian Oscillation and Hadley Cells. The SOI to me is like the greenhouse effect - insignificant.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom